Hurricane "The last of the many" - which exhausts?

CarLos

Hi all,

I acquired recently the lovely Lifelike decal sheet that will allow me to make G-AMAU in blue and gold dressing, as flown in several races. I will probably use the Heller kit that seems to be a decent basis for a MK.II. However, I can't find any aftermarket six stack exhausts for it - can I use a Spitfire item? Which one, if it is the case?

We're talking 1/72, of course...

Carlos

pz865_1955.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,

I acquired recently the lovely Lifelike decal sheet that will allow me to make G-AMAU in blue and gold dressing, as flown in several races. I will probably use the Heller kit that seems to be a decent basis for a MK.II. However, I can't find any aftermarket six stack exhausts for it - can I use a Spitfire item? Which one, if it is the case?

We're talking 1/72, of course...

Carlos

Yes, you can, round type Spitfire ones, [as they are both on a merlin engine...] they will be listed for a MkIX or the like

eg http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72153

For Italeri, there is also a set for the hasegawa, no idea which will fit better.

Heller kit, it's OK, but the wing is too wide in chord. Also has raised panel lines. 1/72 is not my thing, seems all the 1/72 IIC kits have issues.

There have been threads here on this...

HTH

T

edited for spelling...

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 1

What impeccable timing- I was just firming up my resolve to do the same in 48th (yes, Graham, I'm going to attempt to follow your lead).

I wonder if Mustang stacks would also work, but perhaps they are longer and "droop" (curve downward a bit). Spit stacks are probably the way to go, if you can find a kit that's got the appropriate style. Merlin, not Griffon, remember.

bob

Yes, you can, round type Spitfire ones, [as they are both on a merlin engine...] they will be listed for a MkIX or the like

For Italeri, there is also a set for the hasegawa, no idea which will fit better.

Thanks, I'll get one of these.

Heller kit, it's OK, but the wing is too wide in chord. Also has raised panel lines. 1/72 is not my thing, seems all the 1/72 IIC kits have issues.

There have been threads here on this...

I'll use the Heller kit because I have a few, from the Airfix Millenium Collection box. I am aware of the kit problems, but they seem to be easy to correct. The fabric representation is very good, and I prefer to sand raised detail than to fill trenches.

What impeccable timing- I was just firming up my resolve to do the same in 48th (yes, Graham, I'm going to attempt to follow your lead).

I wonder if Mustang stacks would also work, but perhaps they are longer and "droop" (curve downward a bit). Spit stacks are probably the way to go, if you can find a kit that's got the appropriate style. Merlin, not Griffon, remember.

bob

Bob

Are you aware the current Hasegawa boxing is of this scheme, and comes with some white metal 6 stub exhausts?

Now, if you already have the Lifelike sheet may not be of use, but maybe worth considering, it's not that

expensive via Luckymodel for example and being in the US you won't be risking customs.

[it's 35 quid in the UK......ouch!]

My one question is, how good are the Hasegawa decals, or more precisely, compared to the Lifelike ones? i did ask this on Hyperscale, no one AFAIK has compared the two.

there is a review of this hase boxing here

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=7356

The deccals look OK, but anyone know?

Answers on a postcard to me please... [sorry, having a flashback to 70's British TV, lack of BM for 2 days i think]

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

The key problem with the Heller kit, like all early Hurricane kits, is that the nose tapers too sharply, especially at the top. You need to add some broader shoulders to the top to cover the cylinder heads at the front. This is fairly easily done. Look at the vertical panel line in front of the exhausts, and cut down it from the top to halfway. Then insert some plastic card to wedge open the top above the engine at the front. Add a bit of putty (one at each corner) to round out the shape from the spinner to this panel line. Smooth to taste.

I do have the Lifelike sheet, and a ready supply of Hase Hurris. I'm quite sure I have a suitable set of exhausts around here somewhere, too, but I'll have to have a look.

Tomorrow (today, by the time you read this?) is March 1, the start of "Hurricane season"!

bob

You don't actually need to change the exhausts if you don't want to.

I know that, but I want to model it as number 41 - see the lifelike decal schemes bellow:

027.jpg

Thanks anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of finishing my own G-AMAU in 1/48. I'll post pictures very soon. I used the Hasegawa boxing but was a bit disappointed with the exhausts, and replaced them with http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/084/default.htm'>Ultracast 48084.

There are several mistakes in the instructions of the Hasegawa kit and of the Lifelike decal sheet. First thing that was overlooked is that the oil tank at the root of the left-hand wing was left natural metal for better cooling during the races. This is particularly visible in this picture. Another caveat is that numbers "41" under the wing are shown in the reverse direction, as they should be read from the inside ; please have a careful look at pictures before placing them. Another error is that there was only one headlamp, in the leading edge of the left wing, that on the right being removed.

Greetings,

Adrien

• 1 month later...

This has turned up on Etienne's flicr, not seen it before, very neat!

Hurricane IIc PZ865 in civillian markings seen at the Royal Aeronautical society at White Waltham, Berkshire on May 14, 1950. This was her first appearance in the blue-and-gold livery while being operated by Hawker Aircraft. On June 17 that year Gp Capt Peter Townsend flew it to second place in the King's Cup Race.

8498937193_5426b30b8c_b.jpg

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 1

You might also like to consider the plastic Spitfire Mk IX round exhausts I provide as part of this set, also available from Hannants.

Stewart

Edited by 3DStewart

• 7 years later...

More than seven years later I started the model! Not the Heller kit as I planned but the beautiful Arma Hobby one. 
One more question for the experts out there: what to do with the cannon ejection holes? Fill them or not?

Have a good Christmas and stay safe...

Carlos

• Like 1

I have a pic of PZ865 G-AMAU slightly later in its life and back in camo and still with the completely flush leading edges and no ejection ports visible. So it's a safe bet it raced with no visible ports. Probably not sheet metal changes, and they reappeared later once the cannon barrels were back in evidence, but were quite likely just speed-taped over and painted. In 1/72 I'd say fill them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CarLos said:

One more question for the experts out there: what to do with the cannon ejection holes? Fill them or not?

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

I have a pic of PZ865 G-AMAU slightly later in its life and back in camo and still with the completely flush leading edges and no ejection ports visible. So it's a safe bet it raced with no visible ports. Probably not sheet metal changes, and they reappeared later once the cannon barrels were back in evidence, but were quite likely just speed-taped over and painted. In 1/72 I'd say fill them.

I believe Carlos was asking about the shell ejection ports under the wing

• Like 1