1:32 Revell Hurricane IIC - 5 Sqn, Burma 1944-45

Its finished!

I haven't posted much during the later stages of painting because it was pretty standard fair - Klear, weathering, klear, decals, klear, matt varnish, last bits of weathering. Original build thread here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934871-132-revell-hurricane-iic-5-sqn-burma-1944-45/

The only construction elements were adding the undercarriage legs and wheels, although that was not simple nor straightforward as the modifications needed to fit with the GMF Resin wheelbays meant a lot of realigning, detaching the doors from the legs, rebuilding the extra door panels and general alignment issues. I also manage to break off the pilots step two or three times and had to eventually rebuild it as the hoop got swallowed by the carpet monster.

Since taking these photos I've realised I've forgotten to attach the pilot's rer-view mirror and the pilot tube under the wing doh! Anyway here are the photos of the completed diorama...

DSCF7477.JPG

DSCF7478.JPG

DSCF7480.JPG

DSCF7483.JPG

DSCF7484.JPG

DSCF7485.JPG

DSCF7487.JPG

DSCF7488.JPG

DSCF7489.JPG

DSCF7490.JPG

DSCF7491.JPG

DSCF7492.JPG

DSCF7493.JPG

DSCF7496.JPG

I'm very happy to have finished but somewhat frustrated that there are still numerous faults with the model. The vast majority of these come down to the awful Revell kit. This really is a bad kit and IMHO if you own it, use it as landfill as its nothing but junk! The GMF additions help, but generate their own issues, not least with the interaction between the Mk II nose and the cockpit interior. They really need to sort that out.

Anyway, here it is - I doubt if it will win any prizes, but its an interesting diorama and I am happy with it for all its shortcomings :) I know I will definitely produce a better model later in the year when I do the 1:32 Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb trop converted into a Vc trop as would have been used when my Dad was with 81 Sqn in Algeria in 1943! Watch for that one later this year :D
  • Like 1

amazing.

i thought this would be a good'un as i viewed your WIP, you certainly havent disappointed.

Everyone is their own worst critic, and you say it has faults. The fact that it still looks great makes it even more reason to be proud.

Really nice work in taking a real sow's ear of a kit and turning it into a shiny velveteen purse (sorry, you can't get to "silk" from here - but it'sa huge slog to velveteen :banghead: ).

I have the Greymatter Figures Hurricane IIc update, which I want to use with a PCM Hurricane I kit.

Anyway, a monument to perseverance.

• 2 weeks later...