Pz.Kpfw.V Panther Ausf. A.Tank 424,4th Company of I./Pz.Rgt.24

Well being inspired by Peter's build of a Panther from I./Pz.Rgt.24, and after looking at the reference site he linked to I did a little digging around in the stash and found the following

Dragons Panther A
WW II Production Resin tracks
Fruimetal Tracks
Aber upgrade set for the Panther
Eureka tow cables
7.5cm L/70 metal gun barrel
Atak Zimmerit

For reference I will be using the following

The link to the excellent web site Pete Marshall provided in his build thread
The 116. Panzer-Division's Panther Battalion, the I./Pz.Rgt.24 during the battle of Normandy
Panzer Tracks No 5-2 on the Panther A
And a Japanese language pictorial book on the Panther

So with that little lot together I will be attempting to build a Panther A from the 4th company of I./Pz.Rgt.24, the tank will be number 424

I will also incorporate the items of equipment and there location on the tank that identifies it as being from Pz.Rgt. 24

1. Spare road wheels mounted conical side out, one either side of the turret towards the rear, held in place with three bolts

2. The cleaning rod tube relocated to the rear deck, above the rear grills

3. Two spare Jerry cans mounted, one each on the inner face of the rear storage bins

4. Spare track mounted on the side of the turret, these were held in place with the "U" bolts normally used on the hull sides for the spare track

This tank was lost on the 24th of August 1944 at a spot called "le Pelican"

The I./ Pz.Rgt.24 was formed 23 July 1943 after the II./ Pz.Rgt.24 was renumbered, most of its officers, were from what was left of the 24th Pz.Div, which had almost been wiped out in the fighting at Stalingrad

It did not receive its 74 Panther tanks which were a mixture of late model A and early G until after D Day when OKW HQ realized the I./Pz.Rgt.24 did not have any Panthers

These were rushed to Mailly-le-Camp where the 24th were.

After carrying out training west of Amies, on the night of 19/20 July the 1./Pz.Rgt.24 set of for the front, they arrived at their assembly point on the 29th July west of Vire

DSCF6424.jpg

DSCF6429.jpg

DSCF6431.jpg

DSCF6434.jpg

DSCF6436.jpg

DSCF6450.jpg

DSCF6452.jpg

DSCF6445.jpg

DSCF6449.jpg

Turret rear hatch showing the ID mark for the 4th Company

Edited by Mike Mcellaney

Ok first up date

DSCF6457-1.jpg

All of the wheels removed and cleaned up

DSCF6463.jpg

DSCF6467.jpg

The hull cleaned up, suspension arms removed , cleaned and dry fitted, also Zimmerit added to the sides

DSCF6475.jpg

I decided to go with the metal track rather than the resin ones, less clean up on the metal ones and they went together great

Nice start Mike - Should be good to watch.

How's the resin Zimmerit to work with ?

Peter

Peter

The resin Zimmerit so far is nice to work with, will let you know when the project is complete if i still think so :D

I would say the hardest part is getting it of the resin backing sheet, this is where you need to sand it, and make sure it stays in one piece

Once that is done, its just fixing it to the model with PVA glue, with a touch of super glue around the edges

Edited by Mike Mcellaney
  • Like 1

Right got all of the Zimmerit on, just a few problems with the backing sheet separating and having to piece together the resin squares

The worst being the rear plate that's it about 15 pieces

All I have to do now is go round, sand back the resin where its overlapped fill the joints where the plates meet and make them look like the Zimmerit

DSCF6510.jpg

DSCF6495.jpg

DSCF6497.jpg

DSCF6503.jpg

DSCF6512.jpg

Great job sofar. I can't wait to see it with some paint on. O, by the way thanks for the tip about using wood glue for the ATAK resin.

Cheers,

This will be the last update before the tank hits the paint shop

The spare wheels and track links on the turret, Jerry Cans on the rear are only just held on with white tack at the moment, these will be painted of the vehicle to give a bit of color variation.

DSCF6574.jpg

DSCF6569.jpg

DSCF6568.jpg

DSCF6566.jpg

DSCF6565.jpg

DSCF6563.jpg

DSCF6561.jpg

DSCF6560.jpg