Fairey Gannet AEW.3 - Welsh Models vacform

bootneck

WOW, this is nice!

Vacform AND 1/144...........hmmm. have just finished my first 1/144, they're nice but just tooo small, either that or my fingers are too big!

Lovely job though, like the "tools" you made for sanding.

I have continued with building the tailfin flash, plus added the little bee ('B' Flight, HMS Ark Royal).

The bee is a scan from an image, resized down to 1:144 and then printed onto decal paper.

035_tailflash_finished.jpg

I had to source the low-viz style roundels from the Xtradecal Hawker Hunter set. Bit of a shame really as there are only two of those low-viz types in that size available on the sheet and planned to use them on a future Hunter build.

036_roundels_added.jpg

I'm now searching around for the large 047 c/n to place on the fuselage just behind the props. In this scale the digits are 4.5mm high by 3.5mm wide.

I may have some from an Anigrand kit so will check and update later.

Just checking the model and can see that there are some areas of paint demarcation overlap. I'll do some tidying up ready for the next instalment.

cheers

Mike

Hi Joseph,

I spoke to Densil of Welsh Models about the props and he recommended their ATR 42 set as they are just about right. The tips would need some slight fining down.

I bought a pair and will be attempting those next.

cheers

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'll check that out.

Joseph

This is going right down to the wire - assuming I've still got until midnight tomorrow (28th) to finish!!

The spinners and props are done. I was going to do the props with just the yellow tips; however I found images that show this aircraft had the 'alternating' white markings whilst on HMS Ark Royal with the "Bee" flash on the tail.

037_spinners_fitted.jpg

The kit needed a small indentation filed, into the lower fuselage, to accept my scratchbuilt tail hook.

038_spinners_and_tailhook_fitted.jpg

The kit comes with an ejection seat but these aircraft did not have them. I've scratchbuilt a seat pan and headrest.

039_seat_and_headrest_fitted.jpg

Just waiting for the canopy and the wheels to be completed, painted and fitted. Hopefully I can get them done by tomorrow????

040_waiting_for_canopy_and_wheels.jpg

Canopy painted but needs cutting out and fitting. Hope it will fit first time!

042_canopy_painted_1.jpg

This is going to be a really fiddly bit of work to cut out to fit exactly.

045_canopy_painted_4.jpg

That's it for now. I need to get some rest, especially my eyes! :hypnotised:

Mike

I think I've just scraped in at the 11th hour with this!!

Finally got the wheels on

045_wheels_and_canopy_fitted_1.jpg

Front check for alignment

046_wheels_and_canopy_fitted_2.jpg

The canopy was a real problem to fit (nothing wrong with the canopy - just me!), so I split the canopy and fitted it open.

047_wheels_and_canopy_fitted_3.jpg

Overhead view from behind, to show that the spinners were still yellow tipped on the rear of the props.

048_wheels_and_canopy_fitted_4.jpg

Same view but on a small base which I painted up today while waiting for some parts to dry

049_completed_1.jpg

On the port forward catapult

050_completed_2.jpg

Parked

052_completed_4.jpg

Rear view

053_completed_5.jpg

I have really enjoyed building this. I have a load of vacforms but have not had the courage to start one until this GB kickstarted me into it.

I've already started on a fresh build, a Buccaneer this time so that it can sit with my Gannet.

Thanks for following my build and for providing your ongoing support; it inspires one to continue when you receive encouragement along the way.

cheers and thanks

Mike

I'm now going back to having half finished models all over the place!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Excellent! Just adding a drop of dark grey/black to accentuate the moveable parts would have enhanced the effect!

Thanks, I've now got a bottle of dark wash and may just give your suggestion a try.

cheers

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry about the threadomancy but I've just started a few vacform kits and this little thread has been an excellent tutorial for me. In no particular order hey are a Rareplanes Curtiss SBC4 Helldiver, an Airmodel Sukhoi SU 7 (both 1/72) and a little Hawker hunter in 144, a Welsh Models kits.

Your Gannet is lovely!

Cheers,

Viv