DH88 prototype colour

Rik

The prototype DH88 Comet was c/n 1994 which became G-ACSP Black Magic. In its prototype form with the marking E.1 what colour was it? I presume in undercoat with E.1 in black and a white cheat line.

John, the pictures that I have seen certainly have a cheatline. I wonder if anyone at Shuttleworth would know. They may have seen some original undercoat when they restored c/n 1996 Grosvenor House.

At first sight it seems a cheat line...

25685738417_4ba805ae7c_b.jpg

But it isn't. It's a white comet.

39661286285_8da1fb66ca_b.jpg

Only on the port side.

39661285995_a312784043_b.jpg

(photos from David Ogilvy's "The Story of de Havilland's Racing Comets")

Edited by CarLos
Images restoring
  • Like 3

Thank yo, that is interesting. I guess as with most prototypes they changed things around and the paint job too. Just check out the prototype Spitfire! I have seen a picture with a definite cheatline on the starboard side. I think I will go with your "comet" and the rounded nose.

John, the pictures that I have seen certainly have a cheatline. I wonder if anyone at Shuttleworth would know. They may have seen some original undercoat when they restored c/n 1996 Grosvenor House.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the accuracy of the paint scheme on the restoration if I were you. Compared to the original, the stripe is too narrow and much higher up the fuselage side and the fuselage registration lettering is too large, for starters.

Don't forget that the original was repaired and repainted in several different schemes long before it was practically rebuilt to its present state.

I don't think that's white at all, or the short port side comet wouldn't show up. I think John is right about pinkish/reddish dope with a white comet and black serial. Never seen these pics before. Now I must do a Comet as the prototype! (I like prototypes!)

Martin

• 4 years later...