Best 1/72 Army Lynx?

k5054nz

Hi all,

I'm contemplating a 1/72 build of a Lynx AH.1 but I'm aware of three kits: Airfix, MPC (which appears to come with a set of figures) and Plastyk. A look on eBay suggests the Frog kit could be built as both army and navy versions.

Which of these is the most accurate to build an AH.1? Or is there something else out there? (in 1/72...not yet keen enough to follow Lynx7's lead with the Revell beastie!)

Thanks for any and all help you can provide, it's much appreciated!

Edited by k5054nz

For an AH1, the Airfix Lynx is probably your best starting point.the Plastyk offering is poor and the Frog and Matchbox Lynx are based on the prototype.

• Like 1

As Rob says avoid the Plastyk one at all costs. Fujimi do one too but I think it is slightly underscale.

Scroll down a bit in the thread below and you can see a comparison of the Airfix/ Fujimi/ Plastyk (and HobbyBoss) fuselages. The Fujimi one is from the HAS2 boxing but I believe the Army boxing shares the same fuselage.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234909900-lynx-has2-confusion/?hl=lynx#entry1031293

Pat

Edited by Pat C

I consider myself quite a fan of the airfix kit, but it has its shortcomings, some of them due to the communality of parts with the naval version and other due to the "age" of the model.

Just on top of my head, the issues that come to my mind are:

- the lower cabin windows are the wrong shape for a production aircraft. Easy enough to enlarge the cut-outs to the right shape, a bit more difficult to rebuild the windows as they are on a curved surface

- there's no mesh in front of the intakes. Scratchbuild or take from another kit

- the guides for the sliding doors are really too big and not realistic. Better reduce their size so that they don't protrude much from the fuselage and glue the doors in place open or closed

- the tail boom is more similar to the naval versions than to the army ones. Some work with a file should sort this

- the load is not realistic: the 6 HOT launchers were not used in operation, better look for some TOW launchers and modify the pylons if required or just leave the missiles off

- the decals are not great: regardless of the quality, that varies depending on the era of the rebox, they don't cover a service Lynx and only include very few stencils. Better find a modeldecal sheet and use this

I also think that the area where the skids attach to the fuselage could be better, but I can live with it

Being a kit from the '70s, the interior is not up to what can be found in today's kits, but it's still a very good base for some detailing. Airwaves had a PE sheet for the naval version and some parts might be used for the army version too. Some resin parts made for the Hobbyboss kit might be used too (maybe the pilots seats ?). I say might as I never checked, on my previous kits I just added a few scratchbuilt bits and I plan the same on my next one.

When I bought my latest airfix kit, I also purchased a plastyk kit and can only agree with what has been said before: it's crude and better left on the shelves. However some plastyk boxes have the sand filters and the exhaust suppressors. My plan is to clean these (they are quite rough) and use them on the airfix kit to build a Gulf War helicopter (together with a number of modifications).

Unfortunately this kit seems hard to find. I'd suggest hunting around: I bought one at a hobby show last year for £2.50....

what about a hash of the hobbyboss and airfix kit with a bit of good old fashioned scratch building i.e from the airfix kit nose skids also rotor hub weapon pylons that would be a start.

Glenn.....

I suppose so sniper, but it is a) an AH.7, B) pre-assembled, and c) about 5-7 times as much as I want to spend on a 1/72 Lynx.

Good idea cardiff guy! Which HobbyBoss Lynx would be best for that purpose? The HAS.2?

I suppose so sniper, but it is a) an AH.7, B) pre-assembled, and c) about 5-7 times as much as I want to spend on a 1/72 Lynx.

Good idea cardiff guy! Which HobbyBoss Lynx would be best for that purpose? The HAS.2?

They can still be worked on,

IMG_0106-2.jpg

And Damien their AH.1 isn't too shabby either .

008.jpg

• Like 1