Two-Six Convair 990 Coronado +++ Completed +++

Jpthedog

Limited edition of 50 kits - it says on the box. Nice decals on a beast of an airliner from the 60's, 70's.

Aparently it is obligatory to post sprue shots etc - so here goes

IMG_0081_zps6c5eec72.jpg

Box shot

IMG_0082_zps2df3e13b.jpg

Sprue - you get just the one!

IMG_0083_zps1cdea064.jpg

Spantax decals - will be EC-BQA - seen by me as a very young spotter at Frankfurt in 1973!

IMG_0084_zps865b6a4a.jpg

Construction and decal instructions - on one side of A4!

Maybe something different

Cheers

JPthedog

Edited by Jpthedog

Saturdays progress! Spent a wee while cutting off from the sprue and cleaning up the parts. I guess its to be expected from a limited run of 50, but the parts do need a bit of work (more than I had imagined - as ever). The plastic is quite soft and 'chalky' with a few bumps, blips whatever. Will come up OK with a bit more work.

Heres the box of parts.

IMG_0085_zps1ded86d2.jpg

Will be gluing wings, tail plane today and possibly strengthen fuselage as the plastic is thin in areas.

Now back to my all black 727....

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later and we have this...quick photo with my phone

20130310_172528_zpsd2615fb9.jpg

Wanted to wait until I had some time to get the fuselage sides carefully joined. I added some small tabs to one side - then when I test-fitted them I realised the plastic was different thicknesses on each half - so the tabs had to be cut off! Any way, here we have a glued fusealge with wings and tail plane, some filliing, some sanding and about to fill again for the usual 'repeat until smooth' routine. Engines are also glued and filled, but they will take some work to get them looking ready for paint.

WOW!!!

An Injection-Molded 990 that ISN'T the Jurassic Revell Kit?

Impossible!!

Seriously though it looks very well done so far. But how could they only crank out 50 of them?

I wonder if Roden will take the hint and do this after they roll out their 720....

Thanks for posting!

david

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as though you have achieved a nice surface in readiness for the top coats. I have one in the stash so I know how much work has gone into this and I look forward to further installments.

I spent many happy hour watching Spantax CV990's smoking in and out of Manchester.

All the best.

Chris.

• 5 weeks later...

Have at last posted photos of the completed kit - probably too late - busy week! First GB wasnt quite sure how it all works, but think I have the hang of it for the next one.

Overall happy enough with the finished result - could go on adding bits and pieces to the kit but where do you stop with a 144 airliner? Nice kit in terms of overall shape and a good finish could be achieved with a wee bit of el;bow grease. Undercarriage was very basic and ideally I should have scratch built this to do the rest of it justice. Weathered the underside and the baggage hatches with Flory wash - again how far do you go with an airliner and at 144 over-weathering could be a problem.

Just need to build some nice 1975 era spanish airport passenger steps and tow vehicle now!!

That's a great model there, captured the look very well..I remember once on holiday in Spain seeing these coming and going and what stands out is the very military sound they made and the amount of smoke left behind too...Beautiful machines and beautiful model as well................. :goodjob: ...........Smudge