1/144 Airfix Vostok 1 +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Hi all

Was sat thinking "there's a GB I can't enter because I don't 'do' such a small scale" and then forgot I had some of these classic Airfix space kits...

So I am going to be doing the Vostok 1 and will be using Matt Irvine's build article in AMW No.5 as a reference. This will be a fun OOB build as I promised myself to 'branch out' this year a little

Box shot...

001_zpsc3d71d7e.jpg

And sprues...

002_zps73d7ddc4.jpg

See you all later!

Edited by AndyC

Thanks for the comments guys - what is interesting (according to the AMW article) is the debate over the colour and there are some great pics of a modern Soyuz rocket (essentially the same vehicle) in what looks like Humbrol 27!

• 2 weeks later...

With a spare couple of hours today, I had a rattle at this to get things going...

There's quite a bit of flash on the pieces, so these were cleaned up before being glued. The main rocket part had one of the vane-things at the top damaged in the box so I cut that off, after the halves were glued

003_zps6ee41fd3.jpg

I replaced it with some micro-strip and sanded it gently to blend it in

004_zps622b007b.jpg

The four outer rocket boosters were glued

002_zps2942c4c0.jpg

These needed quite a bit of sanding and while I was at it I also sanded down the raised detail which I don't think is correct anyway looking at photographs. I understand these outer rockets are 'anaemic' anyway. I'm not going to change them. These were also some sink marks to fill and so out came the filler. Once hardened everything was sanded again

005_zps6599323b.jpg

Also started work on the exhaust bells and underside of the main rocket - these parts are TINY

001_zps2cc3af15.jpg

Will crack on tonight with this and my F-15 - thanks for looking

Cracking on with this and really enjoying it - makes a nice change from aircraft!

Working away on the booster bells and the bases - very fiddly but after a bit of clean up they look OK

001_zps341c8df6.jpg

Couldn't resist a trial fit into the bottom of a booster and the fit was brilliant

002_zpse9095c94.jpg

Then worked on the framing support to the underside of the capsule. I trimmed the lugs on the top of each 'W' frame so I can paint the capsule as a separate unit and install afterwards

003_zps9d03b458.jpg

The very fiddly bits around the main rocket base to hold the boosters in place

004_zps2e5c3540.jpg

And finally the bits of the Vostok capsule - there is still some clean up to do on this. Also the Soyuz and Luna capsules are in the box and I will make those up too, Plus a diddy 'Yuri' figure...

005_zps2777ac92.jpg

006_zpse662b009.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

A quick update...

I airbrushed Humbrol 27 as the main colour to virtually everything except the the Soyuz 'nose'. The exhaust bells and bases and the bottom parts of the booster rockets were painted Tamiya Silver and then used my Flag Red mix to paint the insides

001_zpsb660432f.jpg

Then detail painting to the Vostok capsule - I think I may have to redo this as the bottom (with the ring) should be Humbrol 27? I used a photo of one in a museum and it showed Light Grey - I will go away and check again. Matt Irvine's article said that the oxy bottles would have been green, so that is what I painted them.

002_zps62e4727f.jpg

003_zpsf0f91313.jpg

Finally the Soyuz capsule/nose in Flat White with red-topped fluting at the top

004_zps69786852.jpg

Once I have confirmed the colour of the lower part of the Vostok, I can start getting it all together.

I have also primed and painted the base satin black. The last thing is to paint Yuri - I'll try and get him done tonight. Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Well I'm calling this one finished - I've ended up breaking the bracing for the boosters - I will try and replace it but at this scale it's hardly noticeable (except in the first photo!).

I even managed to get little Yuri painted!

009_zps006f9538.jpg

008_zps6a363683.jpg

006_zpsfe92cd2d.jpg

005_zpsec32ab17.jpg

004_zps25345df8.jpg

003_zps6a07641e.jpg

002_zps5cd9a71f.jpg

001_zpsb513398a.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 4

Nice, I am almost finding myself wishing I had grabbed one of these when they were on offer in my local craft....

but my wife said I had enough model kits.....I think my answer should have been that you can never enough model kits to work on..... Maybe that should be my motto....

I think I will have to invest in one once I have completed my project list....

You should Rick

1. It's the perfect scale for space stuff
  2. It's a nice change of pace from my (your) usual modelling M.O.
  3. It's good to do some background reading on the subject
  4. It doesn't take much room as the subject is vertical!