SS-25 Sickle launcher and missile (Topol) - scratchbuild

bootneck

I have completed the tyre now and have started on the wheel hub

022_treads_completed_painted1.jpg

024_completed_tyre.jpg

I can now start on the wheel hub.  I just use various thicknesses of plastic tube, inserted into each other until I have a solid of the size I need but with the smallest piece retaining a hole for the axle.

023_start_wheel_hub.jpg

By setting the tubes at different depths before glueing, I can achieve this 3D effect for the outer part of the hub.

027_wheel_hub.jpg

A test fit of the hub into the tyre shows how the finished wheel will appear........ hopefully!

028_tyre_and_wheel_hub.jpg

Now that the wheel has been completed I don't want to do it again another 14 times! So I will make a mould from Oyumaru and I will cast the rest in resin.

First go is to make a mould of the front half of the wheel

031_making_tyre_mould.jpg

Then apply some release wax and make a cut out in the mould, to act as a register for the second mould

033_spray_wax_and_mark_key.jpg

Then the second mould is made by pressing it over the first half. The top mould will press into the 'V' cutout and act as a location point to keep the wheel in register.

034_top_mould_added_onto_lower_tyre.jpg

I'll leave these to cool and set overnight and I'll attempt to do a first cast of a wheel tomorrow.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

I've started some work on the chassis, while waiting for the wheels to be produced, and today I've built the launcher cradle and started attaching rings to the launcher tube

035_chassis_rack_and_launch_tube.jpg

I couldn't make my mind up, whether to build this in transporter mode or launcher mode; so I have decided to make two - one of each. I know, call me impulsive!

This is a mock-up to give you an idea of how the transporter version will look. Obviously this is very early days and a lot of work still to be done to make it look presentable.

036_mock-up_in_transporter_mode.jpg

and this would be the layout for the launcher mode. The protective front/top cover would be discarded showing the tip of the Topol protruding from the launch tube ready to fire.

037_mock-up_in_launch_mode.jpg

Work is progressing with the split driver/crew cabs. I've started with basic blocks of plastic strips, building up to a general shape, and then I will sand/fill to shape then start adding doors and windows etc.

038_basic_blocks_of_driver-crew_cabins.j

Enough for tonight.

Thanks again for looking.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Anthony,

It's all down the problem of not having any plans, just images from the web. This means I cannot work out the lifting mechanisms to make the launch tube able to rotate.

The plan now is to do two vehicles (that means 30 wheels now!) and two different styles of launch tube, one with the cap on and the other open with the missile showing.

Mike the scizzo

who talked me into this? You did. No I didn't! Yes you did. I didn't I tell you. :argue:

Hi Anthony,

actually I am learning as I go along. Been busy today, casting the wheel and making some side hampers and then casting them also.

Problem is; the more I seem to achieve, the more I identify that needs doing. Also, interpreting the photos correctly has caught me out a couple of times and I've had to scrap the part and start again.

Here's the casting stuff ready for mixing. As I use such small amounts, I use milk bottle tops as my measures as this is a 50-50 mix. Then I pour the two compounds into an old yogurt pot to mix.

039_resin_casting_materials.jpg

I also managed to make some progress on the launch tube and then I made up some panniers; these will fit down the sides of the transporters. Once the panniers were ready I cast them while making the wheel cast.

040_panniers_and_wheel_for_casting.jpg

I'm quite pleased how the casts came out: left to right - wheel hub, tyre, full wheel, panniers (originals at back). Sorry about the lack of detail in the photo but they do look good.

It will take me forever to cast another 28 wheels, with only one mould, so tomorrow I'll probably make about 5 more moulds of the wheel. That way I should be able to make multiple casts.

041_wheels_and_panniers_cast.jpg

That's it again for tonight. Going to relax in the lounge and hope my eyes will shrink back to normal size!

cheers

Mike

Yesterday was spent making additional moulds for the wheels and adding detail to the launcher tube. There are some tiny slats/vanes to be added around the base of the launcher and then it should be ready for a coat of primer.

043_launch_tube_built.jpg

I've been casting a load of wheels for the two transporters and I've managed to get a complete set for one vehicle at the moment.

044_its_got_wheels.jpg

045_its_got_wheels2.jpg

The small slats have now been added to the base of the launcher tube but they will need to be filed flush once the glue has fully dried. The rest of the chassis still looks a mess but it should look more like a transporter once I've added the outer 'skin' to the cabin sides and front.

046_chassis_and_launcher_vertical.jpg

047_chassis_with_launcher_vertical.jpg

The wheels need to be cleaned up and primed, plus the axle joints need to be installed so that the wheels can align correctly to the chassis. There is also the work required to tidy up the panniers which fit down the sides of the chassis. I've cast them but they need a fair bit of sanding to look right. Hopefully these will be ready tomorrow.

I hope to get to a stage next week were I can give the whole thing a coat of primer. That will let me see where additional work is needed before I can commence further.

cheers

Mike

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It still looks a bit of a mess but most of what you currently see, apart from the launcher tube, will be hidden behind the fascia stuff. Then, once I get at it with the ol' 4 inch paste brush and paint, you won't notice any mess! Plus I'm going to put it under a camo net and in the forest.

Actually, thinking about it, why don't I do a diorama of a thick wooded area and say "it's in there somewhere!"

Don, I presume you are going to pre-order the Zvezda 1:35 scale one that's due out this year?

Sickle%20by%20Zvezda%20resized.jpg

cheers

Mike

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It still looks a bit of a mess but most of what you currently see, apart from the launcher tube, will be hidden behind the fascia stuff. Then, once I get at it with the ol' 4 inch paste brush and paint, you won't notice any mess! Plus I'm going to put it under a camo net and in the forest.

Actually, thinking about it, why don't I do a diorama of a thick wooded area and say "it's in there somewhere!"

Don, I presume you are going to pre-order the Zvezda 1:35 scale one that's due out this year?

Sickle%20by%20Zvezda%20resized.jpg

cheers

Mike

mike,i certainly will,it will be a nice addition,im sure ive seen a resin sickle for sale?might have have been one of my dreams[thats a bit sad really] you are certainly making a nice job of this build,me id have gone for something a bit easier ,scaling down one of these...

009_zpsea941d52.jpg

008_zpsf57bb388.jpg

007_zps6f7ab50e.jpg

cheers Don

Work is continuing on the transported (horizontal) version (alongside the ready-to-launch vertical one), and I've completed the nose cap for this launch tube.

048_launcher_horizontal1.jpg

The launcher has been primed and is ready for a top coat.

052_horizontal_launcher_racking_fitted.j

Launcher painted and test fitted on the 'basic' chassis

055_horizontal_launcher_painted_green.jp

The vertical launcher has also been completed and primed

049_vertical_launcher_primed.jpg

I have decided to finish the vertical launcher version in sand/black/green camouflage. Here it is sprayed with sand colour.

059_vertical_launcher_in_sand.jpg

I can now put some more effort into getting the two chassis' built.

060_vertical_launcher_with_chassis1.jpg

I have constructed the front-right hydraulic jack setup; it will be located directly behind the driver's cab (see earlier photos for placement) and I'll cast another one for the other chassis.

058_hydraulic_jack2.jpg

I hope to try and get some more work done on the vehicle bodies over this weekend.

cheers

Mike

Great work Mike - the more I look at this thread, the more I think of myself as a model 'assembler' rather than the skill shown here!

The driver's cabs and side panniers are now assembled on this first (launch tube positioned horizontally) chassis.

The axles for the wheels have not been assembled yet so this image is just for layout purposes.

062_side_panniers_attached.jpg

I'll start making the axles, and all the other gubbins which go underneath, on my next session with this build.

cheers

Mike

Looking really nice - I echo AndyC's comment about the difference between "assembling" and "making" models.

It's cool that a small scale vehicle can look as beefy as this one does too.

W

• Like 1