SS-25 Sickle launcher and missile (Topol) - scratchbuild

bootneck

Thanks everyone, I don't like the way that my coating of Klear has affected the launcher tube. The sand coloured one took the Klear coat quite well but this green one looks very ropey.

Methinks the sander may need to come out :weep: . Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you overcome the problem to make the item good again?

Mike

Wow, just been catching with your thread Mike, wouldnt have a clue where to start building something from scratch and will now be following with great interest :popcorn: seriously impressive work.

Re: the future issue you mentioned, I read on Swannys models website that Johnsons Klear / Future will dissolve in itself if it needs to be removed so i assume that would mean brushing a load on wet and rinsing it off - not tried it though as i have never been able to find the stuff at a decent price, I use astonish wood floor polish that i found in a local shop and seems to do the same thing, but apparrently this requires ammonia to strip.

Hope this is of some help, Stu

Hi Stu,

I tried your suggestion and it works, thanks for the ref from Swannys models site. I've given launcher another coat of green and I'll do some markings out tomorrow.

Then, I know I keep putting it off because I don't have any images or plans, I must start producing the axles so that I can fit the wheels.

cheers

Mike

Right, I've stripped off the Klear and redone it and it looks much better (thanks Stu). I've constructed some pipework on the side and added some ladders at the rear. It is difficult to see in this image but I have also 'run' the cables from the junction box, at the rear of the launcher, down to the base of the vehicle chassis.

063_main_body_left.jpg

The cabin windows have been painted light grey then a coat of Tamiya X-19 Smoke has been added to give a reflective effect. The bumper, lights and indicators have also been painted.

Looking at this image I obviously need to paint the Smoke up to the window edges.

064_main_body_front.jpg

The hydraulic lifting mechanism has been fitted on the right side of the vehicle, just behind the cab.

065_main_body_right.jpg

Ladders, lights and indicators complete the rear section of the vehicle body. The ladders are PE and can be found in railway siding sets from model railway shops.

066_main_body_rear.jpg

That's it for now. Time to do more work on those axles!

Thanks for all the supportive comments.

Mike

• Like 1

Thats looking great with the paint on Mike - cant believe you've managed to make this entirely from scratch - makes my assembling and painting feel tame by comparison :)

Glad the advice with the future worked!

Cheers, Stu

I think I'm getting somewhere with this now. I've done the axles but the front ones need to be repositioned as there is a definite slope to the front. The cab doors and other panel lines need to be scribed in; the lifting jack plates will be added and other items highlighted.

067_left_side.jpg

073_oblique_view_2.jpg

Just a reminder that this is 1:144 scale.........

071_in_hand.jpg

I'll redo the front axles to get the chassis level, plus tidy up some other minor bits and pieces and then that should be it...... except I have to do it all over again for the vertical launcher version!

Happy modelling

Mike

I've started work on the chassis of the second build; this will be with the launcher in the vertical position, nosecap off, ready to fire. The colour scheme will be sand/green/black camouflage.

Here is a view of the second chassis in progress, plus an idea of how it should look at the rear (using the chassis from the stowed launcher version).

079_vertical_launcher_start.jpg

081_vertical_launcher_2.jpg

When completed, the whole chassis will be elevated off the ground by 4 large jack-up points.

080_vertical_launcher.jpg

There's still quite a bit to do with the first vehicle and I am getting on with that. The second vehicle shouldn't take as long; mainly because of lessons learned from the first build, plus I've cast some of the parts in resin from the first vehicle so ready to assemble.

Plodding on.............

Mike

Hi John,

thanks for the kind words, as I mentioned before, it's a new venture so I'm learning as I go along.

I've done a bit more to the first (green) transporter, by lowering the axles and adding some of the smaller items. I have also been progressing with the second (camouflaged) transporter and it is getting to a stage where the axles will be made for this one.

Here is a comparison photo of the two; I've placed the second launcher in the horizontal position temporarily while I work out how/where the lifting mechanism goes.

cheers

Mike

For information, the nose cover gets removed before the launcher elevates and is usually found just ahead of the front cab during launch sequence.

082_horizontal_and_vertical_launchers.jp

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It gives me that confidence to carry on, just as the eyes are straining and the old hands begin shaking etc!

I'll try to do a bit more this evening.

Thanks again

Mike

• Like 1

That Camo version looks really cool. Love the paintwork on it, loving this build. :)

When you say that the cone is removed before firing. Is it actually lifted off or dropped? Cause I can imagine the real thing being a heavy bugger!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

I would think it would be lifted off, by a support vehicle which travels with the TEL, while the launcher tube is still horizontal; however I have not seen any supporting images or information as the images I have seen just show the cone beside the front of the cab.

Getting to the final stages now with the camouflage complete and the wheels added. The vehicle would be raised for launching and the hydraulic stands for this are shown beside the model

085_final_stages3.jpg

The remaining elements are some small gantries that sit on the cab roof and also towards the back; the launcher raising hydraulics, plus some ladders for the rear.

087_minor_items.jpg

Here is an example of how the vehicle could look when deployed ready for launching

099_Vertical_launcher.jpg

And here with both vehicles, in mobile and launch modes.

105_Vertical_launcher_and_mobile.jpg

I'll get on with making and assembling the final components and post them here later.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Yeah that makes sense, I know next to nothing about these "little" launchers only one I know is the SCUD and who doesn't know that one?

Love the work and the little diorama you have got there :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

cheers, I've added a link to my last post of a video showing a Topol launch. There is plenty of detail of the vehicle a few minutes into the video. Also note the cone sat at the front of the vehicle.

Mike