1/48 Strikemaster - FLY kit

Mr B

Hi Folks

I am on to the next one......its the FLY Strikemaster in 1/48.....some shots of whats in the box......

stike_zps6d576f2d.jpg

The box art

stike1_zpsbf805d7c.jpg

The decals are a let down.....and the saudi scribe on the sides supposed to be in green.... oh well.....need to dig the spare box

stike2_zpsf4d50764.jpg

Nice size......can't wait.....

I am planning a Saudi or Singaporean bird......on this.....as I got one more in my brothers place in U.K so down the road I should have two.....

The Singaporean bird......might go with red and white or the camo............ah decesions.........

I am open to suggestions at this point in time...........any preference pls let me know

Done some work by taking off stuff from the resin stubs............so for ok.....no major drama........but the rudder pedals were touch and go...........If you have the kit you will know.........its paper thin and so close to the stub........

Wish me luck as always a fast and uneventful build is planned for.........

Rgds

Mr b

• Like 3

You bring a lot of memories back with this aircraft mate.

I have build the Matchbox Strikemaster back in the mid-80s with the Saudi air force markings. Very interesting paint scheme - I think it was a two-tone brown/tan on top and International Orange on bottom.

Looking forward to see the next step of your build.

Cheers

Sernak

Sernak - Yeah I too have fond memories of the Saudi Matchbox kitty.........the box art is still classic if you ask me....low level.....flight of two....if not mistaken......in fact all matchbox box arts are cool...........mate.......

Blackbart - Cockpit looks ok.....it has most of the bits......the panel will need individual instrument decals as the holes are with no raised detailseats are ok.....resin.........the center counsel....missing a bit of details......overall passable...............I will post soon and you will be able to judge.......

Anyways got a little work done yesterday......glued the wings together.....and test fitting the thing to the fuslage and mock up.....fitting thus far is like any other limited run kit....not great and lots of coaxing into place........but so far managble........

strike_zps7f9b155d.jpg

Here you go....I really dig the size as I built both the matchbox and airfix offerings before.......and really nice to see it bigger

Rgds

Mr b

Guys

my mates on another forum has spoken.....its going to be a Singaporean bird with Ying Yang markings circa eightees in s.e camo

thanks next post will be an picture update....

Mr darth one of my favs is the lightning f.6 74 sqn which looks like flying over Malaysian and Singapore got that piece hanging in my living room.....

rgds

mr b

Sernak - Yeah I too have fond memories of the Saudi Matchbox kitty.........the box art is still classic if you ask me....low level.....flight of two....if not mistaken......in fact all matchbox box arts are cool...........mate.......

I totally agree with you Mr B. - Matchbox had managed to produce some of the finest packaging illustrations for their models.

I've been thinking lately of taking some of them from the models I have and frame them in order to put them on my workbench's wall.

Hi -just starting (at long last) the Airfix Strikemaster and using Pavla resin cockpit set but there's no colour chart for the cockpit interior and instrument panel. Have you any suggestions?

Rgds aerodes

I have them both!! I didn't notice that there were no proposed colors for the cockpit. Strange....

Thanks for the nice words guys.....got an update.....

Before that - Aerodes the colour call outs are all generic on the sheet in the Fly kit.....interior state interior grey ....and the seats say sand ......I custom mixed my cockpit with some blue grey and C308 gunze ....and the seats....was sand headrest, backpan olive drab and the cushion was sandy brown mix with yellow as a base.........

Hope this is off help...........

Anyways update.....got the sides togehter and completed the pit......not the best fitting kit around....or maybe I hashed it up.........things just did not want to sit..........

strike1_zps642866d3.jpg

The panel.....with decal insturments........need to clean it a bit more........

strike2_zps9d012adb.jpg

strike3_zps69ce07d3.jpg

Another two shot to try and show the sidewall details....cannot get good shots....

strike4_zps36a9120e.jpg

The seats.....with the self made ejections rings......

strike5_zps90d3d87f.jpg

Here you will be able to see the fitting problems......had to use epoxy on the shroud and the rear deck....letting to cure and then its a sanding marathon.....I think.........

Well details look good I must say......and the cockpit work is with a bit of artistic licence.....espically the orange blob ......on the center consol.......

Rgds

Mr B

Thanks guys....much obliged......upon see the pictures of mine

1) Need to clean it lots of dust from the epoxy work inside.....

2) to repaint so silver details which seem to have gone

3) to match the trim wheels now one is black and the other is grey.....

well as long the end result is passable I guess....:)

thanks and happy modelling

rgds

mr b

I too got one at Telford and I'm just at the painting stage. I think it not bad actually although I had one terrible wing join underneath. Before you add any paint the vent tube things on the starboard side are the wrong way round. Instructions ask you to attached the 90 degree one on and if you notice there is a premoulded very small one now behind it. This should be in front so I've sliced mine off and relocated it - just in case your interested....

Steve.

Edited by speedy

Hi Folks

Got an update......managed to put all parts on ....to make it aeroplane like......just two rounds of surfacer.....one and one more after some repair work....

cab2_zpse3f643c8.jpg

cab1_zpsb87ea619.jpg

Next it will be ready for colour......all bits are also on only for the acutators which I will put on later...... final smooth sand and then off to the paint shop .....

I really liked the idea of giving an option of clear parts for the tank nav lights or molded plastic if one wanted that option.....so far the kit is not too bad .....but could be better is some areas.....

Rgds to all

Mr b

Edited by Mr B
  • Like 1

Update

Managed to get on the finer bit and fine sand and preshade and done the orange bits......duno if can be see but they are faded.......

pres_zpse44c9026.jpg

Masking the lines

pres1_zps5ab08b7d.jpg

Orange on......and camo line drawn......next is to mask and paint.....

On track for the weekend completion.....if all goes well.....anyone know British Standards for Gunze paints.......Planning 302 Gunze and the RAF colour set Dark Green and Dark Earth....

Rgds
Mr b

• Like 1