Revell 1:144 Tupolev Tu-95 Bear D +++ FINISHED +++

Jasonb13

Hi all...

This will be my entry, but it'll be a while before I get to it, as I've only just started a B-17 for the 'Battle for the Third Reich' GB. But I will get there, I promise! For the moment, here's the box shot:

c0386ba9132131a51ed656e6fc84cd02.jpg

I'll be back sometime in March hopefully!

J.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...

Well, there's a month to go, and I'm still working on the B-17. So it's not looking good. That said, while this is a big model, it's a fairly simple one. So, perhaps naively, I'm not giving up hope just yet! We'll see how it goes...

J.

Back again...

The B-17 is getting there, and I still have 3.5 weeks to go, so I'm feeling a little optimistic, time will tell if it's well founded. So I took some photos of the sprues etc:

Sprues1_zps418e7375.jpg

Sprues2_zpsaf339eed.jpg

Sprues3_zps45d25b44.jpg

Sprues4_zps54df508b.jpg

Decals_zpsed90f471.jpg

The kit is just over 21 years old. How do I know? Because it's stamped on the plastic. Nothing new there, but it's stamped on the *outside* of the wing!!:

Sprues5_zpsfcdecced.jpg

I must admit, I've never seen that before! Anyhow, I'm still working on the B-17, but I took advantage of the good weather this evening to prime the parts, apart from the airframe itself. I also got some Aluminium in a spray-can (I normally brush paint) in the hope that it will speed up the build.

More updates once I get the B-17 finished and off the bench. Thanks...

J.

• Like 1

Well, the B-17 is all done, so with 3 weeks to go before this GB ends, I've started on this one.

It doesn't have a lot of parts, so I'm hoping it'll go together fairly quickly. I imagine fit might be more of an issue, but we'll see. Anyhow, I got the wings with built-in 'outer' nacelles done first:

Wings1_zpsd3574733.jpg

And then I worked on the inner nacelles, which will also house the undercarriage. Quite a seam on these...:

Nacelles_zpse9c49f2f.jpg

And then a quick dry-fitting of the nacelles onto the wings, showing that filler will be needed:

Wings2_zpsb243776e.jpg

Once those nacelles are glued then the two fuselage halves are next. Just to be different, Revell has the fuselage split horizontally rather than vertically, so I'll see how that goes together. Thanks for looking...

J.

I remember building this kit many moons ago. (I even remember the date stamp) I'm sure your one will be many times better then my effort ever was. Hand painted in Humbrol 56. I can still see the brush strokes. Cringe worthy. :clown:

Well, I'm normally only a brush-painter myself, but due to the time pressure on this build, I decided that I'll use a Humbrol Acrylic rattle can instead, number 56 of course...

J.

Back then I still didn't know how to use a brush. No Micro sol either so big silver decals that came off not long after. I think the last thing it saw was the end of an air rifle.

• Like 1

Nice work thus far, never realised how big this thing actually was. Biggest plane I have made thus far is an 1/144 B-17 and that was tiny... might save this one for when I move out then.

Keeping tabs and taking notes on this one :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

It's big enough, though as it's 1:144 it's kinda 'slim' if that makes sense. But it's about 35cm x 35cm, so more like a 1:32 Spitfire really...

J.

Just seen the dims on the box. I don't remember it being that big but then memory isn't the best source of information...

Got a little more done on this. Got the canopy masked, about 15g weight added to the nose (and I'm still not certain it's enough), and then got the fuselage glued together. Still have to mask the rear window and add the tail, and then use some filler and sand it all down before I try priming it.

J.

Airframe1_zps7ef0913e.jpg

Hopefully you will overtake me Bill, so I can see what's ahead...

Got the main airframe assembly finished, and now I've added some Liquid Green filler to the areas that need it. I haven't used this stuff much before, but I've heard good things, so I thought I'd see how it goes for me. Once the filler dries I'll do a bit of sanding and then if the weather stays decent I might get the primer done.

Thanks...

J.

Airframe2_zps597cd624.jpg

Airframe3_zpsfbe27432.jpg

Well, I got the airframe primed, and as usual it has shown up a lot of issues. They're not really visible in the photo due to the seam lines being on the side of the fuselage, not the top, but trust me, they're there. One day, I'd love to build a model and be able to sand and fill it well!

Anyhow, here's a pic, and I'll work on it again tomorrow, more sanding and more priming...

J.

Primed1_zpsa86eb906.jpg

• Like 1

One day, I'd love to build a model and be able to sand and fill it well!

Mmmm - read you loud and clear on that one. It is looking good so far though.

Well, I've managed to make a mess of it I'm afraid...

Good weather this evening, so I started on the Humbrol Acrylic Spray Can Aluminium. It went on ok, not great, a bit patchy and rough in places. After it had all dried I had a good look at it and decided on 2 or 3 areas that needed a touch up with the spray can.

So I went to do the first area, and put too much on. Inexperience lead to me to just making it worse and worse, trying to fix it. Here's how it is now:

Mess_zps704aff36.jpg

Right now I'm leaving it alone, something I should have done 15 mins ago. When it dries fully I'll see if I can remove the paint, and then I'll have to brush paint over it, as the can is empty and I'm not buying more. Which of course means I'll have a whole front half a different shade. I knew this build was going too well...

J.