Revell 1:48 Mosquito B Mk IV

Hi Guys,

Hope i'm not to late to join the fun but would like to enter with the above kit if thats OK?

Not sure exactly what i am going to do at the mo but would like to try to address the spinner shape issue if i can find a way, other than that probably going to throw the Eduard zoom set for the Tamiya kit at it for the IP and belts as these seem to fit OK.

Obligatory box and sprue shots, took the pic a couple of nights ago but hadnt had time to get a post done til now, it has since been for a soapy bath and started the mammoth task of cutting bits off sprues.

SAM_3767_zps7ee55226.jpg

Cheers, Stu

Woo-hoo back up and running, was getting dangerously close to catching up with all my work - cheers Mike and the team :)

Thanks for the comments Mish/Les - it looks a nice kit, despite the couple of shortcomings with the gear and spinners that could easily have been avoided, the moulding looks nicely detailed and should make a decent looking mosquito (hopefully!)

Couple of pics of progress so far, got all the bits off the sprues and getting them cleaned up, pit detial is good OOB thought there are a couple of ejector marks to fill in

SAM_3834_zpsd94de940.jpg

SAM_3836_zps20b695f1.jpg

SAM_3838_zps39ed6ca9.jpg

Thats all for now, cheers for looking

Thanks again guys, the pit detail looks great OOB but relented and bought the eduard zoom set for the Tamiya B mk IV as i thought the etch belts and IP would be worth adding. It looks like it should fit OK and didnt want to part with £12 for the revell full interior set, anyway it has just landed on my desk so hopefully can start adding it over the weekend.

Got a little bit more progress to show, firstly wanted to see what i could do with the spinners, i know the landing gear and wheels are out as well but they dont look to bad, whereas the spinners i thought looked more noticable.

So i copied a scale drawing of the spinner into autocad and scaled it to suit the revell spinner diameter, then having the use of a laser cutter at work ( :) ) got a template cut out of stainless steel. Using this with the spinner in a drill i have managed to turn it down a better shape

This pic shows the template and gives a rough idea of how much material had to be removed

SAM_3845_zpse2ad13d8.jpg

And this gives a comparison between the two, the modified spinner is on the left

SAM_3843_zps84f26e6e.jpg

Also got the cockpit test fitted in the fuselage, i couldnt get the fuse to close around the lower pit floor so had to shave a fair bit off the lower pit floor sides especially alongside the entry hatch, the fit now seems to be pretty good

SAM_3846_zps96b55ee8.jpg

Cheers for looking, Stu

Great job on the Spinners.

I have swapped mine with some from a crashed tamiya Mosquito. Maybee I can also use the undercarriage for this one.

I will use the Revell ones in a what if build later in the year.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ahh I'm glad you too are having problems getting the fuselage to fit around the cockpit floor! I'll have a go at filing things near the entry hatch as well in that case!

Love what you did to the spinner - that looks like a very neat bit of engineering :) I thought that by now someone would have produced resin replacements for these spinners but nobody has! I guess I'll have to do some sanding down myself later on...

• Like 1

Cheers Guys :)

Great job on the Spinners.

I have swapped mine with some from a crashed tamiya Mosquito. Maybee I can also use the undercarriage for this one.

I will use the Revell ones in a what if build later in the year.

Cheers,

Great minds think alike Arnie :) i did have a backup plan in case i screwed them up completely and had contacted Tamiya spares who would do 2 x e sprues from the B mk IV kit for about £11 posted which would give both the spinners and landing gear, but then i thought i may as well have just got the tamiya kit in the first place. Its a shame cos other than the gear and spinners it looks like a nice kit and woulld have thought it would have been a good seller fro Revell...

Ahh I'm glad you too are having problems getting the fuselage to fit around the cockpit floor! I'll have a go at filing things near the entry hatch as well in that case!

Love what you did to the spinner - that looks like a very neat bit of engineering :) I thought that by now someone would have produced resin replacements for these spinners but nobody has! I guess I'll have to do some sanding down myself later on...

Cheers mate, if you want one of the templates PM me and i'm sure i can get another one cut and in the post next week, i agree completely with the resin, i think quickboost are missing a real trick here :)

Cheers, Stu

Stu have you got around to the tail yet? I've just assembled the two sets of elevators and the moveable planes are identical and not left/right aligned. This is seen with the actuators for the trim tabs. If you put these on left and right one is under the tail the other is above the tail. This can't be correct - they should be mirror images of each other, not identical surely?

Edit: Bugger me it is correct:

mosquito_ma03_koks_0252.jpg

(taken from this page http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/De%20Havilland%20DH.98%20Mosquito%20T-TT.3/Mosquito%20TT.3%20MA3.html used for reference only)

Well I never - I guess this made them easier to make as you only had to make one versiona nd just fit one upside down!

Edited by Kallisti

Thanks for the heads up and the pic mate, saved me from what no doubt would have been a bit of a head scratcher when i get to that stage - not least as i have cut most parts from the sprues so no numbers to refer to and would be left wondering what on earth i had done wrong :)

Cheers, Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, little bit of an update just to show it is still progressing and i havent given up, finally got enough done to get a few pics taken.

Got the bombs done first, pretty pleased with how they turned out though managed to get some silvering that i couldnt get rid of

SAM_3898_zpsfbcf93ea.jpg

Also been cracking on with the pit, still finishing the side walls but got the main section complete, I have added some wiring to the back of the IP and belts and IP are

from the zoom set for the Tamiya MkIV as I'm a cheapskate and didnt want all the bits in the set they do for the revell kit. Most of it will be lost once the fuse is closed and the glazings on but it was fun doing it :)

SAM_3889_zps76bea44a.jpg

SAM_3892_zps0307af2e.jpg

SAM_3896_zpsac45b44c.jpg

Also got the bomb bay painted up just need to paint and add the bomb carriers - if anyones got an idea what colours these are I would be eternally grateful as i cant seem to find reference for them anywhere, though i suppose the bombs will end up hiding most of them...

SAM_3891_zps7147f9eb.jpg

Cheers for looking, Stu

Thanks for the kind comments Guys,

Got the side walls of the pit finished and now all sealed up, next step is to get some paint on the insides of the rear fuselage section so i can get that on and then hopefully it should start taking shape :)

Pic of the finished pit before it was all closed up

SAM_3906_zpsbc04e6bf.jpg

Cheers again, Stu

Thanks again Guys :)

Kallisti - yes the pouch was very lightly moulded in places as was the fire axe on the other side, i painted them as best i could but they would probably have been better being shaved off and replaced - i know the eduard set for the revell kit has got an etch axe in it, not sure about the pouch though?

Got the bomb bay and tail wheel well bits done on the rear fuse last night so hopefully will get a wash and matt on them tonight and close all the fuse up - noticed on test fitting last night that the rear bulkhead of the bomb bay is little bit oversized and prevents a good fit on the 2 rear fuse halves so had to shave a bit off the upper part of the bulkhead which seems to have done the trick.

More pics soon hopefully :)

The pouch is not in the eduard set. For the axe you get a folded bit to represent the blade cover but I added a piece of wire to represent the handle better - not that you can see it because the bomb aimer is pretty much in the way lol

• 1 month later...

Time for a bit of an update, cant believe how long its been since the last one - glad the group build runs til the end of May!

Some progress to show other than just bare plastic, got the landing gear assmbled and painted, i had a go at adding the gear door retraction bits on the sides of the gear legs out of some fine solder as Revell didnt include them. They probably arent the best representation but dont look too bad from a distance

SAM_3985_zps6abf70e9.jpg

Also got the props painted and the spinners primed and ready for painting, had a go at some chipping with a silver undercoat and maskol and the result isnt too bad. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what colour any airframe chipping would be as i presume it would expose wood/primer instead of metal?

SAM_3986_zpsb9ad1f79.jpg

All the interior green bits have been painted ready to fit the nacelles.

SAM_3987_zpsc4002e6c.jpg

My plan was to complete the nacelle assembly and then fit them onto the wing afterwards as i think it would have been a struggle to get the halves together on the wing. For some reason Revell have decided to do the nacelle as a slip fit onto the wing leading edge rather then moulding the top of the nacelle onto the wing in the same way Tamiya does and whichever way you assemble them the fit is not great and probably the most annoying thing about the kit (well hopefully - so far anyway :))

I have now managed to get the nacelles on and started filling and sanding to hopefully tidy them up - will have to take some more pics to illustrate my whinging...

Anyways thanks for looking, Stu

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress

Remembered to take a pic to illustrate what i mean about the fit of the nacelles.

SAM_3989_zps5644a8ca.jpg

The slip fit over the leading edge wasnt as bad as i thought it would be once both nacelle halves were joined, though for some reason one of the halves in the above pic is mismoulded where it joins the trailing edge of the wing as this should be a single diagonal line as per the trailing edge. Anyway a bit of carving had this sorted then once they were joined to the wing much sanding and puttying to get them to blend in with the trailing edge of the wing and finally got to getting primer on

SAM_4091_zpsca1e1512.jpg

Also got the spinners painted and assembled with the props

SAM_4090_zpsbf98584a.jpg

and finally last night completed the MSG on the bottom and sides

SAM_4089_zps62e9b912.jpg

So this is where i'm at, got a bit of a pause now in the painting due to my own mess up, i managed to crack the canopy when i was polishing it and had tried to get a replacement from Revell but unfortunately the kit is now OOP (suprising considering it was only released about 4 years ago and was tooled in a way that would make other variants seem likely).

I have just purchased the squadron vac canopy set for the tamiya fbVI that contains a standard and bulged canopy so hoping this will be a reasonable fit and that the bulged one is as the bomber version and not a different type of bulging completely......will find out when it turns up i suppose! If anyone has a better idea for a replacement b mk IV canopy in 1:48 then i am very much open to suggestion?

Many thanks Stu

Thanks Mish :) I seem to be taking forever on this build, its a bit of a pain to get it together neatly but i havent really helped myself by breaking the canopy, i long to build something where i dont mess something up somewhere along the way.... :)

Cheers, Stu