1/32 Avro Lancaster Mk.III HK Models

Abacus

2 hours ago, Don149 said:

Halleluja brother ! , I`ve been thirsting for news on those paddle bladed props to build the Mk 3 . ( One happy bunny ) .

Mk.III denotes Packard Merlins,  both Mk.I and III shared the same variations over time.  PA474 is a late Mk.I.  Paddle blades amongst other mods could appear on either Mark, or changed as needed, I just read that  617 blagged every paddle blade prop they could get for the  Tirpitz Raid.

Edited by malpaso

As an aside the RAFM example is an early build Mk.I and all contemporary photos show it with needle pointed blades. However by the time it had reached the museum, they had all been swapped for the later paddle blades. I see that Airfix are reissuing their new tool in this scheme. I hope both types are provided. 

Trevor

I just think the Lancaster with paddle blades and the longer bomb aimers blister looks (to my eye ) , more business like .

A personal preference is all ! . I wonder if Iconicair will bring out the David Brown tractor , once mentioned , to display

with it , `would look good with one or two of their bomb trailers behind .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

@WV908 thanks for the heads up but I don’t do Facebook!

It’s all academic as I’ll never justify the cost/time/space for one anyway 😢

Trevor

Ah ok, I might ask if it has the bulged doors then. Expect to see a sales post pop up from me in a few days - it’s so I can afford it 😢 

Cheers,

WV908 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well I've said it before on this thread, but even though I can't afford it, I'll never build it, and/or I'll never have the space to display it I still WANT IT! This is one of my long-time dream kits.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

On 6/21/2015 at 8:10 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

maybe someone may sneek in another 1:32 lancaster,

A revell one would be a good option in my opinion.

Healthy competition keeps prices down.

Cheers

Jerry

Hi

well prediction comes true, but i never expected it to be WNW 

cheers

jerry

I will be purchasing ten of these kits at Telford this year.... I just hope that I can fit them all on my invisible, stealthy, ram-jet powered unicorn, which I will be using to get home on the Sunday afternoon. 

See everyone there!

Chris. 

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2018 at 9:53 PM, malpaso said:

Mk.III denotes Packard Merlins,  both Mk.I and III shared the same variations over time.  PA474 is a late Mk.I.  Paddle blades amongst other mods could appear on either Mark, or changed as needed, I just read that  617 blagged every paddle blade prop they could get for the  Tirpitz Raid.

PA474 is a very late BIII/IV built for Tiger Force with only forward and rear turrets - which were removed before she became a test airframe. They were re-installed much later with a mid-upper turret (discovered in a training school in Argentina and returned to the UK by the RN) installed later. As the BBMF Lanc she often masquerades in markings for BI airframes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those test build photos look amazing! 

I know the WNW Lanc is more detailed, has stressed skin etc, but I actually prefer how the HKM Lanc looks and it will probably be a more straightforward build. I much prefer how the HKM kit is built up too, especially with how the cockpit canopy is done. Equally if I ever decide to get a B-17 (Sally B decals on standby) the detail levels on both will be pretty much the same. If I bought the WNW Lanc, it would outclass the B-17 too much for the pair to look good. 

Cheers,

WV908

Saw both of these models at Telford on Saturday and both look amazing both in terms of detail AND size.

Ultimately there is nothing you the modeller can do about these kits...yes they are going to cost a packet, yes a 1/32 Lancaster can't ever be anything but huge but all you can do if you really love the Lanc is to ask yourself...can I justify the cost? Do I have enough space? Am I prepared to commit the time it will take to complete one of these? A 1/32 Lanc is not really something to reside on the shelf of doom is it?

If you can answer yes to these questions then get one because a 1/32 Lancaster will be pretty much a once in a lifetime modelling experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WV908 said:

Those test build photos look amazing! 

I know the WNW Lanc is more detailed, has stressed skin etc, but I actually prefer how the HKM Lanc looks and it will probably be a more straightforward build. I much prefer how the HKM kit is built up too, especially with how the cockpit canopy is done. Equally if I ever decide to get a B-17 (Sally B decals on standby) the detail levels on both will be pretty much the same. If I bought the WNW Lanc, it would outclass the B-17 too much for the pair to look good. 

Cheers,

WV908

Are you trying to convince us or yourself that you don't want the WNW one? ;)

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Are you trying to convince us or yourself that you don't want the WNW one? ;)

Oh I do still want the WNW one, but I can tell this will be a much easier build.... and it also gives me an excuse to build PA474 AND NX611 if I end up still buying the WNW kit 😉

The main point though is about the B-17 - I wouldn’t want either to outshadow each other, and the fully built HKM kit looks 10x better than I expected from the sprue shots meaning I am more than happy to buy one :) 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1