32nd &1/24 Builds in progress

Bri48

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work so far in building and painting.

One thing though, and i am saying it constructively, is that the Harrier didn't look quite right for some reason. Looking closer I am wondering if it is sitting a little high at the nose and if so is it because the nose wheel seems elongated by not having enough flex at the scissor (?) joint?

http://www.milairpix.com/PLANES/GR7_4.HTM This picture may help

• Like 1

IIRC, the kit comes without a damper in the NLG strut - something that was addressed in the later FRS.1 kit. Many of the gate guardians hanging on in there have completely deflated dampers and so sit far, far too low. I'd agree though that that nice bit of scratch building has left it a bit too high - come down about 20 degrees I reckon. Somewhere I have the specs for the correct height. Think there's a reference line on the damper somewhere.

Well done to Brian for persevering, though. Mine's sitting in the box daring me to pick it up again.

Kirk

• Like 1

Hi there NickR & Kirk,

Yes as soon as I fitted it i knew something was wrong, it just sat to high. Before I start painting the wheel strut i'll most likely alter it to a lesser angle, which should improve the sit, but thanks for pointing it out both.

@ Kirk, actually its not a bad kit when you get stuck in, i'm hoping though the decals that come with it are not the kind which just disintegrate, a tester tonight will give me the answer.

Brian.

In many ways it is a VERY GOOD kit; the shape is pretty reliable, the shortcomings in this area are fairly easily addressed and its styrene-for-buck ratio is ridiculously good. I think of it as a high-quality vac-form type kit with a huge potential to add as much detail as you want. High on my personal list was to address the lack of framework/panels around the nozzle openings, closely followed by the ducts on the engine access panels. Then got dragged into improving the cockpit, then the auxilary intakes then the fuel metering unit, then the slippery slope. I've been stalled (for years - lterally) on the nitrogen bottles in the main landing gear bay.

I admire your restraint and look forward to your completion of a very nice build.

Kirk

• Like 1

Managed to add a few decals today, hope they settle down ok. Also altered the angle on the harrier front wheel so the sit is improved. Might start with the harrier engines tonight.

8577226493_fafdbe95bd_b.jpg8577226679_0bec7d5425_b.jpg8577226845_c64ef3a222_b.jpg8578330152_2876c2e7b2_b.jpg8577227251_5d760bb209_b.jpg8577227349_41fe2860d7_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That Harrier is looking realy good love the shading on the Typhoon as well

Could i ask what paints you used on the Harrier as the paint looks very good.

Gary

Novice moddeller [but getting better]