C-130 Hercules C.3 lengthened fuselage

bootneck

Right, I'm sure I have decided which model to build... I think.

I am going to attempt to build a C-130 Hercules C.Mk.3 in RAF markings. The reason I am not completely sure is that I'm still struggling to find the correct decals for this variant of the aircraft. It's early days so I'm sure I will have sorted this by the time the decals need to go on.

The kit I will be using is Minicraft C-130 'Fat Albert' from the Blue Eagles team. The fuselage will be replaced by a Bra.Z lengthened body in resin, plus their replacement resin engines. Additional items will be a Matador cockpit detail set which, being white metal, will help with nose weights. The only other requirement, that I can think of at the moment, is the in-flight refuelling probe. I will probably need to scratchbuild this but that shouldn't be too much of an issue at this small scale.

If I hit a deal-breaker over the decals then I have a (cunning) back up plan. I will attempt to build a C-130 Hercules C.Mk.1 (Brown/tan/white) RAF using the Airdecal set from Hannants. This kit will be detailed internally using ExtraTech's photo etch set.

Herewith some images of the items acquired so far:

Minicraft C-130 Hercules

P1100993a.JPG

Bra.Z models resin extended fuselage plus Matador cockpit set

P1100994a.JPG

Backup plan is to build an early RAF Hercules using Revell's kit

P1100997a.JPG

incorporating the Matador cockpit set and the ExtraTech PE Cargo Compartment set

P1100996a.JPG

Mike

Will be watching this one too.

Just wish that minicraft would release an RAF Herc......so I can adapt it to the Met Flight Herc

Preparation

I have given all the kit parts a wash in warm soapy water as that should remove any grease, fingerprints and mould release which causes me problems when painting.

I also cleaned the PE parts by cleaning them in my Sonic Cleaner, purchased from Lidl a while ago.

001_pe_parts_cleaned.JPG

The canopy and other clear parts have had a coating of Klear and are sat on the 'decal drainer' drying

002_canopy_kleared.jpg

Just thought I would add a view of the tools I typically use on a daily basis and will be using for this build

004_typical_tools.jpg

And finally, a comparison of the old and new parts to show the extended fuselage length.

003_parts_comparison.jpg

Next phase should be the actual start of the build/conversion

Thanks for looking

Mike

• Like 1

Moving along quite nicely now. Just got some nice Bra.Z engines from Yeehah1 (thanks) and hope to dry fit test them soon.

Hope to have some more images available shortly

cheers

Mike

The wing and tailplane location slots on the Bra.Z fuselage have some backfill of resin, this needs to be drilled out if the Revell parts are to fit correctly.

005_drill_tailplane_holes_zps5f4d3748.jp

I've modified the Matador Models cockpit detail set and added a few s/b items. This gives the 'office' a better and cluttered effect.

012_flight_deck_zps2333adee.jpg

A quick dry-fit to check the Revell wings, tailplanes and the modified cockpit fit OK

013_dry_fit_test1_zpse89c2af8.jpg

014_dry_fit_test1_zpscc1307a4.jpg

Next I'll start attempting some PE construction

cheers

Mike

Well, there's no putting it off any longer, I need to start getting the PE ready as it all goes inside the cargo bay of this build.

I'm starting off with a fairly big piece, the cockpit/cargo bay bulkhead. This is a circular component and is a whole 2.5cm across! Not much actual work to it though, just bend a few parts to form equipment shelves and then attach some vertical strips.

008_cockpit_bulkhead_pe.jpg

009_cockpit_bulkhead_pe.jpg

010_cockpit_bulkhead_pe.jpg

011_cockpit_bulkhead_pe.jpg

I've glued the PE bulkhead to the back of the Matador Models white metal bulkhead but it needed a little trimming. I think this is because the Bra.Z resin fuselage is thicker, and it has strengthening plates down the insides, which make the inner diameter of the fuselage that much narrow than the original kit.

018_cargo_area_pe.jpg

I have also started to add the inner PE sidewalls. Once these inner walls are in place I should be able to get on with adding the back netting, frames, floor channels and seats.

As this conversion it to lengthen the fuselage, I won't have sufficient PE from the set to cover the whole sides, so have had to pad them out with plastic card.

020_plastic_inserts_for_pe.jpg

I'll do the same with the other fuselage half now and then let them set overnight before starting on the frames and seats etc.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Neal,

yes, the etch comes with a pair of ramps which attach to the kit ramp. Long way to go before I get to that part though!

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, so far I have found that there are fuselages, engines, etch sets, cockpit details, white metal props and various types of decals for the Herk.

I've been a little busy, on my other two 1:144 GB subjects, recently but I've set aside some time this weekend to get on with the C-130.

Mike

A couple of family issues are currently distracting me from progressing with this however I have managed a couple of hours today.

I gave the previous PE lined interior a spray of Tamiya primer, mainly because I was getting a bit 'PE blind' sticking one layer of brass on top of another etc.

It's better now that I can see what I am doing. All I had to do was scrape back the primer a bit where I wanted to stick the next piece of PE.

As you can see, the PE set is for the standard C-130 version and therefore does not run the full length of the extended fuselage. To compensate for this I am installing the PE with a bias toward the rear ramp as it is this area that will likely to be viewed.

021_pe_phase2.jpg

Not much time to do any more at the moment. I hope to be able to get back to normal modelling soon.

Cheers

Mike

The back webbing and seats have been installed and the interior has been painted. I've completed as much of the interior as I can for the moment; the remaining bits are for the ramp area and I'll do them once the fuselage is assembled.

023_interior_finished.jpg

It is now time to close up the two fuselage halves and start working on the exterior of the model. I'm quite looking forward to see how the Bra.z resin replacement engines fit.

More to come later.

Thanks for looking

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

The fuselage has been assembled and the wings plus engines attached. The model has had a few coats of primer to check for faults/gaps, which have been filled, sanded and resprayed etc.

Now I am looking at building the refuelling boom apparatus. The pipework, from midships to the cockpit area has been added and I am now starting to shape out the probe area itself

027_refuelling_boom.jpg

I haven't found any scale plans which accurately show the refuelling boom, so I am working to photos I find on the web.

025_refuelling_boom.jpg

The glazing of the cockpit needs to be masked up and attached before I can continue, so I will be getting on with that now.

Thanks for looking

Mike

Hi David,

One side of the fuselage is slightly bigger (or perhaps just warped which makes it look that way?) so quite a bit of Tamiya Tape to hold the odd fitting areas while glueing.

There was also some infill of resin in the openings which receive the wing stubs. Not much of a problem, just need to drill/file them out. The wings fitted really well after that.

There are areas of the fuselage which are quite thin so care was needed when working with it. Actually it made the fuselage easier to move into shape, for joining etc., rather than some thick and rigid conversions I've seen with other kits.

Still plodding on and quite enjoying learning as I go. Shame that all the internal work is now hidden with the fuselage being joined. I'll have the ramp down, including the PE ramp extenders, but it will be quite dark in there to see anything.

cheers

Mike