1/72 Revell Polikarpov i-16

Hi all,

This is my first real attempt at modelling for a while, half my life ago in fact.

I posted an inbox review of this old kit on my youtube channel, when this thread and the 'Ishak' are finished, I shall post it on youtube as well.

This was bought for me cheaply on Ebay a year and half ago by my wife, a great little find even though I have heard this particular kit slated for its inaccuracies but to me if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and tastess like a duck, it's a duck.

i-16pb001_zpsbea9bc56.jpg

It is made of hard(ish) plastic and has raised detail, also sadly there is no cockpit :(

i-16pb002_zps2fd9113b.jpg

I will try to scratch build one and see how it goes.

Edited by UKscalemodeller

Welcome back! I took a decade long sabbatical (1998-2008) and I'm glad I'm back. Lots of great stuff has happened, I think we're living in the golden ages of modelling right now.

Love the stubby little I-16. I always wonder if the designers spent any time looking at the air racers of the time, like the GeeBee racers. The I-16 looks like it would fit right in with that crowd.

Does styrene taste like a duck? :)

Cheers,

Bill

How old is this kit anyway?

From the packaging it looks like it must be at least 25 years old!!!!

Probably close to double that, the style of the package dates it to sometime in the 60s.

Cheers,

Bill

Growing up in mid-90s New Zealand the I-16 was a reasonable part of my life and interest. I was very, very jealous of a friend who had this kit - I believe in a Matchbox "black" box - but a year or so later my Dad bought and built the Hasegawa version for me.

I look forward to seeing this come together, I'd still love one despite any inaccuracies :-) Good luck with the build!

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE REMEMBER.......

...this is my first attempt ever at scratch building.:newb:

With that in mind, criticisms are welcome.

I’m not happy with the result on the starboard side, as it is a mess but I’m OK with the port side.

IMG_0611_zps36b37163.jpg

The seat (not shown) I am especially proud of though, it is almost as if I gave up on building one from plasticard and stretched sprue and chiseled a block of resin into an early type i-16 seat, sealed it into a bag, stapled a piece of card to the top, wrote Pavla on it and posted it to myself :whistle:

Great start so far, having made this same kit last year, any detail you end up adding will be worth while, as basically there is none! A quick heads up, be careful with the join of the wings near the fuselage, and if your thinking of leaving the two sides off the engine cowling, watch for the fit of the front of the cowling, as there will be nothing to help it sit right. Overall, it's a lovely wee kit and turns out well.

Sean

(here's mine-http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927179-polikarpov-i-16-172/ )

Great start so far, having made this same kit last year, any detail you end up adding will be worth while, as basically there is none! A quick heads up, be careful with the join of the wings near the fuselage, and if your thinking of leaving the two sides off the engine cowling, watch for the fit of the front of the cowling, as there will be nothing to help it sit right. Overall, it's a lovely wee kit and turns out well.

Sean

(here's mine-http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927179-polikarpov-i-16-172/ )

Yes, I examined your build thoroughly before startig on this one, that s some good work.

I'm not confident enough to open up the cowling but have decided to have the cockpit door dropped open.

The gift from Your wife is undeniably holy ... :) But this kit is not a good choice for a model of I-16 (first of all wrong profile of the wings). As I remember many years ago somebody suggested to cut of the wings and use for them Airfix Il-2 one's. For making a proper model of late I-16 the best choice is a kit from ICM. For an early types of this fighter better is kit from Hasegawa.

Indeed john, in fact the i-16 was only 13% longer and 18% longer on wingspan.

Separated at birth?

sab_zpsd1ae1f34.jpg

Exactly the same comparison I suggested in Post #2. However, you have your captions reversed! The Gee Bee (not Bee Gee, methinks that was a band) is on the left.

Cheers,

Bill

Exactly the same comparison I suggested in Post #2. However, you have your captions reversed! The Gee Bee (not Bee Gee, methinks that was a band) is on the left.

Cheers,

Bill

It is the same comparrison, in my defence all I can say is that when you posted, I was engrossed in a meaty project at work, whereas today I was bored stiff and wanted somthing to do.

I put them that way round as thats how I have seen other 'separated at birth' posters.

Work on the 'Ishak' currently on hold, making way for foot mold casting (mothering sunday gift).

It is the same comparrison, in my defence all I can say is that when you posted, I was engrossed in a meaty project at work, whereas today I was bored stiff and wanted somthing to do.

I put them that way round as thats how I have seen other 'separated at birth' posters.

Work on the 'Ishak' currently on hold, making way for foot mold casting (mothering sunday gift).

Ah! OK, I understand the bit about the captions now. I do remember seeing some separated at birth pictures that way - sorry about my forgetting that! Yet another reminder that I'm getting old! :(

Cheers,

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

Yes I ACTUALLY did something, at this rate it might be finished by christmas.

So I made the cockpit floor and rear bulkhead, stuck the resin seat on it and added a very quickly made control column and pedals. The pedals are a mess but will be so deep down in the cockpit it doesn’t worry me.

I also build a cockpit door to be in the down position.

The camera seems to have lightened everything a little too much and it looks darker in real life.

IMG_0937_zps7f9ca6ef.jpg

As always criticisms welcome.

And yes, something unfortunate has happened to the tail :weep:

Edited by UKscalemodeller

Fuz now closed up eith internals as well as belts done. I know the belts are nothing like actual i-16 belts but I'm happy with the look of it. Afterall I'm only after the 'feel' of it rather than sweating myself to get it perfect.

IMG_0960_zps479e7787.jpg

And it's infinatly better than the nothing the kit comes with.

Enough of the inside can be seen to give it some interest

IMG_0962_zpsf086574c.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsc69ff047.jpg

IMG_0961_zps19a3d43a.jpg

A quick heads up, be careful with the join of the wings near the fuselage, and if your thinking of leaving the two sides off the engine cowling, watch for the fit of the front of the cowling, as there will be nothing to help it sit right. Overall, it's a lovely wee kit and turns out well.

Sean

Your not wrong, having put most of it together the wing roots and cowling have more gaps that Shane McGowan's teeth.

A bit of filler will deal with it though.