Fw.190 A-4 1/72 from Zvezda

Northstar Models

Thank you for the very complete set of images - it looks like a very good model kit. Do you know what future releases Zvezda are planning for this series of kits? I'm hoping they will include some Russian WWII fighters since they have already done the Yak-3! Thanks again;

John

• 4 weeks later...

Mine's in front of me now. The kit looks on par with their Yak 3 and Bf109F-2, so pretty good. It's all clean and crsiply moulded and when I compare it to a Hasegawa A-8 the level of detail is comparable.

It might not be as detailed as the Tamiya A-3 but it's cheaper and you won't need the Quickboost conversion part. I have an AZ Model A-4 in my stash which will now be sold on as this kit will be a far more enjoyable build (and again, it beat's the AZ kit hands down on price).

Not sure about the decals, they look a bit thick to me but there's bound to be plenty of aftermarket A-4 decals. Marking schemes are for 2 fairly standard looking 74/75/76 with mottle.

Overall, I'd say it's well worth the price and should make a decent model.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for posting this!

Very interesting, I'll be picking up a FW-190 next week. So it's a kit to have in mind.

It may be stupid, or me not modernizing. But it would feel odd building without glue.

Mine's in front of me now. The kit looks on par with their Yak 3 and Bf109F-2, so pretty good. It's all clean and crsiply moulded and when I compare it to a Hasegawa A-8 the level of detail is comparable.

It might not be as detailed as the Tamiya A-3 but it's cheaper and you won't need the Quickboost conversion part. I have an AZ Model A-4 in my stash which will now be sold on as this kit will be a far more enjoyable build (and again, it beat's the AZ kit hands down on price).

Not sure about the decals, they look a bit thick to me but there's bound to be plenty of aftermarket A-4 decals. Marking schemes are for 2 fairly standard looking 74/75/76 with mottle.

Overall, I'd say it's well worth the price and should make a decent model.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for letting us know what it's like Mike. I have one on order which will be sitting waiting for me when I get home, I'm hoping I might even get it finished in my time off!

Duncan B

The pilot figure looks interesting, not sure if it's enough for me to buy one of these as I have more than enough of the Tamiya 190A-3 kits and as has already been pointed out, it's a very straight forward and simple enough of a mod to make it into an A-4. But, that being said, for someone who is looking for an A-4 and on a budget, this may be the way to go.

Many thanks for these excellent photos! The angled views of the sprues are particularly revealing.

IMHO the best part of the kit may be the underside. The deep wheel wells are a significant improvement over any predecessor. The wall between the wells is a shame--if obviously necessary given how the inner gear doors assemble--but could be removed for the proper "see-through" look easily enough.

The rendering of the under-wing bulges for the outboard MG FF's are much more accurate than Tamiya's (who seemed to think they were similar to the MG 151 hatches on the upper wing roots).

There are plenty of small things to address no doubt, but given the nature of the kit and the cost that is to be expected. The accuracy and detail of all three kits in this line is remarkable, and will hopefully inspire others (are you listening Hobby Boss...?).

As a lifelong hopeless 190 geek, I will definitely be procuring some of these.

Edited by MDriskill

as with their Friedrich the canopy looks to be the 'worst' part of this kit...there is for example no support strut on the head armour, no backplate to install inside the canopy and no provision to have the canopy open at all due to the large 'plug-in' attachment. Also the wheels have solid hubs which were only introduced on late A-4s, which thus rules out my first choice of subject, Burath's chevron bar (JG 1) ..unless I can source the early style wheels from elsewhere......and it's not that cheap a kit either...

Edited by FalkeEins

Would the True Details wheels not do? They do an earlier pair of main wheels.

thanks

Mike

I recall reading something about the size of the wheels or rims being off (too large). I suppose it really depends on how 'fussy' one wants to be. Years back, Cooper Details did a set that were quite nice. I've been lucky enough to score several over the years. Maybe Roy Sutherland will reissue them in the near future? Can only keep our fingers crossed.

Aires does a set of early and latter style wheels, but they are a touch on the pricey side. Again, it boils down to what the builder wants and is willing to spend.

Have to see about picking one of these up, too. Pricing in the US is pretty good compared to Tamiya & Hasegawa. Although there have been some concessions due to their assembly method, as noted here, I am satisfied with the kits so far. Only really disappointing thing to me so far was the omission of the centerline rack and drop tank in the 109F kit. It really should have come with one, being so commonly fitted on the real thing.

I recall reading something about the size of the wheels or rims being off (too large). I suppose it really depends on how 'fussy' one wants to be. Years back, Cooper Details did a set that were quite nice. I've been lucky enough to score several over the years. Maybe Roy Sutherland will reissue them in the near future? Can only keep our fingers crossed.

Done - see here:

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=15

Scroll down slightly, to item BR72088. You might also like item 72087 (replacement prop and spinner).

John