Complete - Dragon Tornado F3 1+1 56 Sqn "The Firebirds"

trickyrich

Ok off with another group build.

For this one i’m going nice and simple, no resin, no PE bit, no extras at all ............ ell it’s a bit hard to imagine a resin cockpit an PE bits for this scale! :mental:

As this will be my first ever 1/144th scale model, I’ve chosen something nice a simple, Dragon Tornado F3, and guess probably 50% of the build will be Tonkas!!!

This is a two in one model so I get to build two, think i’ll be leaving the U/C up (said it will be simple) and mount them flying in formation. Think this bit will probably take the longest.

Obligatory pre-start pics.

DSCF0591_zpse5b7f916.jpg

Gee it's small!!! :nerd:

DSCF0590_zps9c503ea5.jpg

Can’t wait to start as it will be a nice distraction from the beast which is the Ar234 (Battle for Reich GB), giving me a bit of grief at the moment. :hypnotised::wall:

If I have time may try and fit in a second duo, had a great idea of a F-4 or F-14 intercepting a Tu-95 “Bear”. Would like to try and do an in-flight intercept just as these photos in 70’s and 80’s, though I don’t think I could find a Coke bottle small enough for the rear gunner to hold at the rear observation window!!

Actually the more I think about it I could just use the Tonkas!

Will see how time goes.

Edited by trickyrich

Nice, been wanting to buy one of these but always held off. Will be keeping an eye on this one :)

Believe it or not but I have Resin AND PE for an Hawker Hunter FGR9!!! Looking forward to building that one... Can't wait for this to start. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Nice, been wanting to buy one of these but always held off. Will be keeping an eye on this one :)

Believe it or not but I have Resin AND PE for an Hawker Hunter FGR9!!! Looking forward to building that one... Can't wait for this to start. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

:yikes: no way!!!! :mental:

That’s gotta be crazy, are you going to build that for this build??? If not you gotta post a pic, I'm crazy enough with 48th and 72nd resin and PE builds, but 144th! Think I'd have to get bigger magnifying glasses!

:yikes: no way!!!! :mental:

Thats gotta be crazy, are you going to build that for this build??? If not you gotta post a pic, I'm crazy enough with 48th and 72nd resin and PE builds, but 144th! Think I'd have to get bigger magnifying glasses!

I wasn't planing on making the Hunter for this GB, I was going to keep it until my skills as a modeller had developed enough that I wouldn't screw it right up. I was planning on making either an Bear D, choice of Gundams, or a Space Shuttle. Dunno yet, but most of the models I build are 1/144 so I have a huge choice. I will post pictures of the PE and Resin tho for you, if you find my F-15 ACTIVE thread in the F-15 STGB, you'll see a resin cockpit in the Revell F-15E Strike Eagle.

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

ok, sorry for delays in updates, but with site having issue and me now overseas, it's a bit hard.

have some pics uploaded to photo bucket, so will give a proper update shortly.

currently though it's all together, the first one, and almost ready for painting.

pics to come

• 3 weeks later...

Ok my first update, a bit late but have been overseas, plus for some reason I don't have the full edit options for creating a post.....anyway.

the wee baby went together with little trouble, though some of the joins and gapsOk my first update, a bit late but have been overseas, plus for some reason I don't have the full edit options for creating a post.....anyway.

the wee baby went together with little trouble, though some of the joins and gaps horrendous! Plus the detailing is a bit on the heavy side, scaled up to full size you could lose small children in those panel line, not quite the quality you’d expect from Dragon.

I’m building this one wheels up, will be part of a display along with the second F3 and a Bear. Was intending to do the whole lot for this GB, but have been distracted by the TSR 2!
The fit of the undercarriage doors was particularly poor and required filling plus the main doors were too short!

DSCF0610_zps37ec39b1.jpg

DSCF0609_zpse103f944.jpg

Just some painted details in the cockpit, plus I tried to shape the blobs into pilots, not too successful.

DSCF0611_zpsc119cc5c.jpg

This is what I’ve done since being back from holidays, a little bit more gluing, filling and sanding.

DSCF0625_zps2ef99076.jpg

DSCF0626_zps941aa4b2.jpg

Am nearly to the stage of painting though as you can see there are still a few gaps to fill! I'll do the painting by hand, think my airbrush will be a bit too heavy!

May try and get some painting underway before I head off for my next work shift.

• 4 weeks later...

ok I have been very slack with keeping this up to date what with other builds and work!

Though I had plenty of time to complete this build until I discovered I’ll be off working on the end date!!!!! So after much frantic work, my own fault for not paying attention, I have completed………..one! :frantic:

I had intended to build both plus possibly a Tu-95 Bear and make a sort of “intercept” diorama. For this build no, but I will build and post one soonish.

Ok from the last update there wasn’t that much more to do before painting, though filling was required.

I was originally planning just to hand paint this baby as I couldn’t justify the effort involved in masking and airbrushing……..that changed with the TSR 2.

So this then became a first for me, airbrushing acrylics! I haven’t used acrylics much at all before and the first time was with the repair paint job on the Arado (flat clear coat). I was so impressed that I thought I’d give it a go.

It was like learning how to paint all over again, just didn’t realize just how much thinning was required to get the paint to flow nicely. Found the gloss coat the hardest, though I do like the washing up with water bit.

Had lots of trouble matching the red to the decals, in the end it was a little botched, but I had to do some mixing with enamels I had. Had not trouble painting enamels over acrylics and visa versa.

Overall results….I don’t mind, it’s not the sort of finish I’m use to achieving (Arado aside), but for a first time acrylic I don't mind too much.

DSCF0742_zpsaf98b3a3.jpg

DSCF0740_zpsb54af6c8.jpg

The canopy fit is horrible, but at least this one didn't have a hole in it!

DSCF0743_zps5b63d273.jpg

So this was a multiple first build for me, 1/144th and acrylics.

• Like 1