Su-27UB: Is it only a trainer?

Procopius

Quick question that a strategic amount of googling could not determine the answer to: is the Su-27UB "merely" a trainer in Russian service, or does/would it see operational use as a normal combat airplane?

The UB stands for 'Uchebno Boyevoy' - which translates to 'Combat Trainer'.

The Su-27UB is fully combat capable - with the same radar and weapons as the 'fighter' Su-27.

Whether it is used as such by the RusAF is open to discussion - but it is capable of being used as a 'combat airplane'.

It has also been developed into the multi-role Su-30 - with the Su-30MKK and Su-30MKI/M/A variants - which are definitely used in that role.

Ken

PS - Variants of the multi-role Su-30MKK and Su-30MKI are just entering service with the RusAF - as the Su-30MK2 and Su-30SM respectively

Edited by Flankerman

Thanks! Re: the Su-30, can the extant Trumpeter Su-30 kit be used to build a Russian example, or only a PLAAF one?

The Trumpeter kit (1/72 & 1/32) is a Su-30MKK - so can be used to build a Russian AF Su-30MK2........

day1_020.JPG

Note though that the 1/72 scale kit fins are too short (I can't speak for the 1/32 scale version - I never bought it)

I modded mine........

Su-30MKK%20019.JPG

.... but Dream Model have now done resin replacements...... (ignore that it says 1/48 on the label - it is 1/72nd)

Su-30MKK%20071.JPG

The Su-30MKI/M/A - and therefore the new RusAF Su-30SM - is a totally different machine - with canards and TVC nozzles.

HTH

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

The main differences of the Su-27UB and Su-30 (green markers) and Su-27 (red markers)

su_30_MK_dif.jpg

Optical-location station moved to the right (1)

Iinstalled flight refueling system (2)
Improved avionics and
operator cabin equipment (3)
Two-wheel nose landing gear (4)
Instructor cab converted into a operator station (5)
Increase the vertical tail (6)

• Like 1

Say, Flankerman...all ALL Trumpy Su-27 fins too short, or just the Su-30MKK to Su-30MK2 fins?

Only the Su-30MKK kit in 1/72 scale (I don't know about the 1/32 scale version)

The three other Trumpeter Flanker kits - J-11B, Su-27UB and Su-27 (Early) kits - are all OK height-wise.

See my guide to Flanker fins here (a bit anoraky I know, but some find it useful....)

A minor point an ALL Flanker kits I have seen so far is the fact that on the real aircraft the intake at the base of the fin leading-edge is bigger on the port fin than it is on the starboard fin.

All the of Flanker kits have solid same-sized 'blobs' for intakes.

Ken

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Old but very helpful thread... Been hunting around for the differences between a Su-30 and the Su-27UB... just got the 1/32nd Su-30 but fancy doing it as a Su-27UB... but don't think I will bother now :)

Ken, except for the Zvezda Su-27SM and their Su-33, the vertical fin intakes are sized differently; YOU pointed that out in your review of the Su-27SM a few months back. I checked the Su-33 lit and noticed that they had sized them the same(or close) as their Su-27SM.

5 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Ken, except for the Zvezda Su-27SM and their Su-33, the vertical fin intakes are sized differently; YOU pointed that out in your review of the Su-27SM a few months back. I checked the Su-33 lit and noticed that they had sized them the same(or close) as their Su-27SM.

This thread is dated 2013.... not a few months. (See my last post)