BSG Viper MkVII

Started this yesterday and I have to say I'm actually disappointed with the kit. It's very thick brittle plastic with very large attachements to the sprue: extreme care needed when taking bits of. The cockpit & engines are very simple and plain, the undercarrige looks just awful and I've decided immediatly on an in-flight display. The stand is nice and the overall lines of this space fighter are fantastic: I just need to do a good paint job to redeem some of the other features.

Top & bottom:
Viper1_zps38419143.jpg

Engines:
Viper2_zpsaaf75ffe.jpg
I'll probable add some of my own piping

Cockpit:
Viper3_zpse5f657f4.jpg
I've added to scaps of plastic to the side walls where decals go just to give them some dimension

The pilot fiure is also quite nice.
ViperPilot_zpsa2b97e30.jpg
There are plenty of decals which should make it look better but it's going to really depend on the paint job to look decent

• Like 1

I have a couple of these in the stash.

Is this the Moebius one or the Revell re-pop? I have only had a cursory look at my Moebius ones and they looked OK though the molds are the same so I guess the issues are the same too.

I guess its because of the limited run basis of the Moebius kit. The Mk II was the same but looks good once painted so I wouldn't worry too much, there was a lot of cleanup but well worth it in the end result.

J.

Hi Jase,

it's the Revell repop but from what I can gather they bought the sprues from Moebius rather than the molds so it's the same thing. We'll hopefully manage to make it look good....

The Revell kits are simply reboxings of the Moebius moulds with new instructions and decals...I think Moebius supply the parts to Revell bagged up so there shouldn't be any real difference in the quality of the plastic.

It builds up into a decent representation of the actual ship and is pretty good value for money at the Revell prices.

Here's mine that was built from a test shot prior to the original release....all I got was a bag of parts...no instructions or decals!

P1010678.jpg

It was a group diorama created by the SFM:UK site at the Crewe model show two years ago....ten Viper MkII's each built by a different modeller then brought together for the show....coincidentally the Crewe show is on again this Sunday 24th February where they'll be unveilling a Star Wars hangar.

Here's a link to the Viper Hangar dio....

http://www.scifimodels.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85:group-build-sfmuk-viper-squadron&catid=11:groupbuilds&Itemid=19

And my own builds....

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=320400

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=312750

Ok, some progress...

Painted the bulk with my own mix of grey & blue:
Viper8_zps0ccfafee.jpg
Not sure if it's 100% but it's close enough for me. And it will get well weathered before the end.

I didn't like the piping that came with the kit (+ broke 1) so added my own:
Viper-Eng1_zps467444ca.jpg

Viper-Eng2_zpsbe1c5a62.jpg

Tonight will be a wash for the panel lines.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is really begining to pi@@ me off. The pin wash on the panel lines just is not working out.... :shrug:

Viper9_zpsd28586ec.jpg

It's been parked to one side again.... :(
But I did get the Mk II last week ^_^

• 1 month later...

Came back to this one for a while and called it a day on the seam "pin" wash....not happy with the overall results, but better than anything I've done previous so I guess that's progress. The photos show it's good side!
Started on the decals....the serial number ones are seperate pairs....

Viper-11_zpsfaf03dbe.jpg

Viper-10_zpsbc3d70d1.jpg

More in a few days I hope.... bench time seems to be scarse these days.

Thanks S5 but there are too many gaps in the wash....it's be too thick/overflowing....I'd clean up and then there's a gap/blank bit.....anyway, it's done now as much as it's getting done.

Lighting....hmmmmm, too late for this one but would be cool: maybe on another one in the future. There are sets out there on the web, but they ain't cheap.

Looks okay to me SeanM, I know what you mean about the kit though, not the greatest.

I'm just about to put one on the bench, after sorting out replacement engine parts, and will be adding engine and cockpit lights, bought the bits myself, much cheaper than the kits and not that difficult.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks Warren. I look forward to seeing you build log and the extras you got.....I do have the Mk II waiting in the wings.

• 2 weeks later...

All the decals are on and sealed with a gloss coat from a rattle-can.
Started to try weathering with the new Humbrol powders but they won't stick....

DSCF5202_zps415b6e36.jpg

DSCF5203_zps4d89c19b.jpg

DSCF5204_zpse6e8d62c.jpg

DSCF5207_zpsc62868fd.jpg

DSCF5208_zps0a27149f.jpg

Need to come up with an alternative plan for the weathering.

Sean, all I used on mine was some black and reddish brown pastel dust, then a coat of Vallejo matt varnish.

Cheers,

Warren

• 1 month later...

I'm calling this done not. It's been in the wars, as has everything else I was working on, and needed some repairs and I just had enough with the washes... the dent and cracks in the right wing I just made look like actual combat damage and left it. The stand was in 3 pieces and needed gluing, sanding and more sanding and more sanding and re-painting. Thankfully the decals had not gone on at that stage as I already ruined one set

Sorry for the quality of the photos but on top of every thing else the digital camera is also broken....back to the phone for photos.

ViperVII-3_zps90def2df.jpg

ViperVII-2_zps7f269c7e.jpg

ViperVII-1_zps8be70392.jpg

Thanks for watching and sorry for the delay in finishing!
Sean

Looks good - in case no-one's mentioned it yet, weathering powders/pigments don't adhere well to a glossy surface. Give your model a matt coat first, and you'll have a totally different experience ::)

That looks Sean, glad you got it finished rather than sticking it on the shelf of doom!

Thanks for the tip with the pastels Mike, always done it onto gloss so will try matt next time.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks Chris. Good Luck with you Mk II and post pictures as you go please. We may be having a Sci-fi GB on IPMS Ireland soon so I'm holding my Mk II for that.

Thanks Mike. I figures that when trying to apply my nice new Tamiya powders...but as I brush paint I didn't want to do anouther cote of matt and then gloss or satin again. But I know for the future.

Thanks Warren. It did sit in the shelf for a few weeks but I really did want to finish it.