1:72 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Navy Bird

Lovely model Bill

I wish you hadn't decided to do that last wash though :(

None of the Spitfire photos show deeply marked lines like that

I can see the draw of PE when I look at this build, no amount of plasticard extra detailing has quite the "charm" of the PE interiors

I hope your back is feeling better, sounds horrendous, all that fettling inside the back that your docs have been playing at

keep on bringin us pleasure like this please

I love it

Bill

On 4/27/2013 at 17:49, Jessica said:

It's perhaps a little late, but here's a Browning similar to those fitted to early Spitfires. Note the muzzle flash hider is a funnel shape.

Thanks for that, Jessica! I had a suspicion that it wasn't just a simple tube. Now it's off to the magical box of spare fiddly bits to see if I can find anything that looks like that!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi mates,

Panel lines, and whether or not to apply a wash, are a personal preference. Some people like it, some don't, and when it comes to some of the panel lines on recent Airfix kits the conversation can become quite "interesting." The highest accuracy for a subject like a 1:72 Spitfire would be, in my opinion, no panel lines on the kit at all. That said, I don't personally find that interesting, and I think that some form of panel lines add something to the model that I like. Of course, not everyone agrees and that's fine. We should all be building models that we like, and have fun doing it. (Unless, of course, we're building for competition, and then we must cater to the judges, especially if they know how many gaskets were in the "personal services" attachment flange. :) )

The panel lines on the Mk I kit that I'm building here are, in my opinion, a huge improvement over those on the new tool Airfix 1:72 Mk IX or the 1:72 PR.XIX. I found those to be indistinct, and wide with rounded edges. In my opinion, the panel lines on the Mk I are not overly wide but they are rather deep. However, the edges are quite well formed and sharp. As I explained in the posts here, I used Alclad primer to fill them in a bit.

For comparison, I made a two image collage of my model before and after washing the panel lines:

100_3178_00

The washed lines are more distinct, but of course they are not any wider. They're less deep, as the wash has accumulated in the bottom of the lines. But I really don't see any huge difference. In my opinion, the burnt umber color of the wash adds some interest. Not everyone need like it, but that's OK.

As we have all seen on this and other forums, the camera tends to amplify things on the model. When you work exclusively in braille scale as I do, you quickly realize that the photos you're posting are actually magnified quite a bit (refer back to the beginning of this thread and the cockpit photos). This is different than say 1:32 or 1:24 scale where the photos actually reduce the size of your model. Consequently, photos can appear quite a bit different than the actual model. When viewing my model in real life, as I am at my workbench, I can state with certainty that the panel lines do not look as dark, wide, or distinct as they do in these photos. To be truthful, they look quite fine indeed.

I sat the Airfix Mk I next to my 1:72 Revell Mk Vb, which was praised when it was released for the fine level of surface engraving (and condemned for the mother of all Spitfire atrocities on its belly). I did a black panel line wash on the Revell kit. Looking at the two models side by side - the panel lines look the same except for one thing, and that's the color. Again, things look better when viewing with the naked eye than they do in the photo.

100_3179

In my opinion, the panel lines on the Mk I are not any better or worse than what I see on the Revell Vb. Whether one wants to add a wash to the panel lines is a personal preference. To keep some consistency in my Spitfire selection, I chose to wash the panel lines as I had with the Revell kit (these are my only two Spitfires so far - bless me Father, for I have sinned). Most likely, I will do so when I build the Sword Mk Vc Tropical and the AZ Mk IX "Joy Pack" that I have in my stash. I probably won't on the Airfix Mk IX, as I suspect that one is headed straight for the local polystyrene recycling facility. :)

Now it's time to go add the sliding canopy and HF wire...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. EDIT 2018 - I shouldn't have done a panel line wash on either of those two Spitfires! Apparently, even an old geezer like me can learn the error of his ways.

• Like 3

Bill I understand what you say and blimey mate, it's your hobby.

We all have preferences and mine take nothing away from your modelmaking, which is second to none.

(hmm, guess who has a new mould Airfix 1A to fit in soon. If I ever finsh what I started...

The panel lines are just a tad excessive, maybe)

Hi Perdu,

I agree, the panel lines on the Mk I are a tad excessive. That's why I partially filled them. What is good news for we modellers, though, is that Airfix have gotten progressively better since this Mk I kit. When I look at the Spitfire F.22 and the Bf 109E-4, these are big improvements over the Mk I.

I also have a Fine Molds Bf 109G-10 kit, and it's interesting to look at that and the Airfix kit side by side. In my opinion, the panel lines on the Fine Molds kit are so fine that I seriously worry about them disappearing altogether after painting. And I have strong doubts that they would take a wash without re-scribing first. We'll find out if, er, when I get around to building it! :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Slight departure from my planned itinerary today. I added the sliding portion of the canopy, and then set out to add the HF wire. Well, as usual I screwed up the wire and had to remove it and try again. Since there was a glob of hardened superglue on top of the HF mast, I figured I would remove it with some liquid superglue remover.

Now, I knew that I did not want to get any of that on the model proper, so I held the model UPSIDE DOWN and applied a very small amount to the tip of the mast. Then, in complete defiance of the known laws of physics, the superglue remover ran UP the mast and dripped onto the canopy. Arghh, it's not fixable so I have to replace it. Luckily, the Falcon set has a canopy for the prototype Spitfire, and it looks virtually the same except for the windscreen. I'll be using that as a replacement, in fact it's already been dipped in Future and is drying now. Don't you just love modelling? :)

• Like 1

On 4/28/2013 at 15:56, dr_gn said:

I feel your pain.

"The better the model, the closer to the end comes the disaster" I usually find...

I love that quote, in some odd twisted way! Ain't it the truth though? Usually it happens on the morning of a contest where you're scraping like crazy to finish some little fiddly bit. :)

We'll recover. I'm glad I had that extra vacuform. Falcon must have been thinking of me! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I'm glad too, it would be a shame to have this mess you up

I find that most cyanos do their best to mess with my head, physically with the fumes but also when they seem to operate inside some quantum space that has rules that... Well you know don't have rules...

I detest the stuff

I prefer using cockpit glue or Krystal Kleer for the detailing, a mate fixed the upper mast on one of his scratchbuilt ships with cockpit glue at the Cosford show last year, minute or two holding it and it stayed put all day and dried invisible.

panel lines, I think these are going to be the killer on my build but I just don't know whether to assume "I need more definition" or just prime and paint anyway

Airfix have almost changed the game for cheap model kits. As well as the Spit I have a "new mould Gnat" that has astonishing detail even if quite deeply developed, almost wish I had one of the old version to compare with

All for the fun to begin later this year, I just can't get down and modelling at the the moment, some kind of bug is liquidising my innards :( [sorry]

good luck with the new one :thumbsup:

Hi Bill,

Just noticed this thread. Your Spitfire is looking really good even though it has wandered off the Out of Box plan you had at the start.

Great minds (or in my case not such a great mind) must think alike as I am doing exactly the same kit for nearly the same reason right now. I have decided to really stick closer to Out of Box only adding a clear gun sight and mesh for the radiator (not yet realised) to get some experience of the 'New Airfix'. My son actually blazed a path ahead as his Secondary History teacher has the great project each year for his Aust History class. All the students build an Australian themed diorama for one of the assignments. He got them all an Airfix Spitfire as a practice class project (A shame the Airfix offer for schools isn't available here) so my son gets to try all the trial techniques first (fit of parts, paint colours, masking). Mine is trailing behind but will soon have the fuselage closed up.

Best wishes for the finishing touches.

Cheers

Michael

The Spitfire is looking absolutely brilliant! Totally agree with you about the panel lines - probably any panel lines at all world be out of scale, but I really like them as they add detail and interest to the model.

Hi mates!

Well, this is getting to be one of those builds. As you know, I screwed up the original vacuform canopy piece, so I went back to the Falcon set and made another one. The canopy I used was the one described as being for the Spitfire prototype. Both this and the original Spitfire Mk I canopies are recommended to be used with the Tamiya Mk I kit. So no problems, eh?

I masked and painted the new canopy section and set about to install it on the model. Big problem - she no fit! The prototype canopy was considerably smaller (both width and height) than the Mk I canopy, even though both were designed for the same kit. When put in the position of slid all the way back, and set down as far as it would go, the bottom of the canopy frame did not even reach the tracks in the fuselage. Arghhh.

I know I didn't cut it too small, as I followed the canopy frame lines that were vaguely represented in the plastic. What to do? There were no more flat canopies in this set - except for the "High Speed Spitfire." This one was also designed for the Tamiya kit, but I had a look at it, and it seemed larger than the one I had. So, what the heck, let's give it a shot!

Here is a photo of both side by side. On the right is the Spitfire prototype, and on the left the High Speed Spitfire. I don't think I have to point out the difference! For those inquiring minds, the High Speed Spitfire canopy is just a tad larger than the original Mk I canopy that I ruined.

100_3180

So maybe the Spitfire prototype had a smaller canopy than any of the production variants? That's the most likely explanation from my viewpoint, but I have no knowledge of Spitfire canopies. In any event, this new one from the High Speed Spitfire looks like it will work great. I've added the HF antenna wire, so the canopy and the gunsight bead are all that's left. Onward and upward!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. What else could happen? No wait, do not tell me! :)

Super job on the Spitfire, Bill!! You always make 1/72 look 1/48---- this thread is pretty medical- thanks for sharing the Back Story...isn't this what the older generation traditionally passes on to the younger s--- tales of our aches and pains, and examples of our skills?.? :). Best wishes for a speedy recovery ! Donn

• 1 month later...

Ha, I just realized I never properly ended this thread. Needless to say, I binned the whole thing! No, not really, I finished it off uneventfully. Here is the RFI topic:

Linky

Thanks to everyone for the great encouragement and even greater comments! Back to The Wonderful World of Resin for my next model!

Cheers,

Bill

• 5 months later...

I wish to thank you, Sir Navy Bird, o French Taunter... Or if I am not sorely mistaken people call you also Bill?

First, superb work and congrats. But my thanks are for reassuring me this new generation Airfix early Spit was the model for me.

Oh, it is a fine model for detailing like you have exquisitely done. But I had a special purpose in mind. You convinced me it has "slightly" exaggerated panel lines which is just what I wanted. My ladyfriend loves the Spit - especially the "genuine" early merlin Spits passionately. Both for their pure form (she's an artist, too) and for their rather romanticised story. I have bought her books (those that I could resist from keeping myself - I have enough).

Y'see, I am making a quick "hack" job of not even trying to make a realistic model. I could, but I don't have a month to spare. Instead, I'm putting one together as cleanly as possible, and then spraying the whole thing (not the canopy - I want the cockpit to show a bit) with alclad II chrome and putting it on a suitable stand. So it looked like a sleek, metal desktop showcase decoration. And here the bit too accentuated panel lines are more than welcome.

Lessee how it turns out. I haven't modelled in about 25 years, and my hands are shakier than they were at 18. But I trust it is like riding a bike. Or drawing. The rust comes off pretty quickly, I hope.

Joona

On 11/25/2013 at 05:15, Joona said:

I wish to thank you, Sir Navy Bird, o French Taunter... Or if I am not sorely mistaken people call you also Bill?

First, superb work and congrats. But my thanks are for reassuring me this new generation Airfix early Spit was the model for me.

Oh, it is a fine model for detailing like you have exquisitely done. But I had a special purpose in mind. You convinced me it has "slightly" exaggerated panel lines which is just what I wanted. My ladyfriend loves the Spit - especially the "genuine" early merlin Spits passionately. Both for their pure form (she's an artist, too) and for their rather romanticised story. I have bought her books (those that I could resist from keeping myself - I have enough).

Y'see, I am making a quick "hack" job of not even trying to make a realistic model. I could, but I don't have a month to spare. Instead, I'm putting one together as cleanly as possible, and then spraying the whole thing (not the canopy - I want the cockpit to show a bit) with alclad II chrome and putting it on a suitable stand. So it looked like a sleek, metal desktop showcase decoration. And here the bit too accentuated panel lines are more than welcome.

Lessee how it turns out. I haven't modelled in about 25 years, and my hands are shakier than they were at 18. But I trust it is like riding a bike. Or drawing. The rust comes off pretty quickly, I hope.

Joona

It sounds like you will do just fine! And if the model is intended as a gift for your lady friend, she will love it! How much more personalized can you get than a custom built Spitfire model? Everyone should be doing it!

Cheers.

Bill

• 1 year later...

I am building this at the moment. The wings do not want to line up with the front of the fuselage and I have a pronounced step in the join. The fuselage went together reasonably well, but as you will gather, it does not sit right in the assembled wings. I have tried tape and clamps, all to no avail so it looks as if some filing is needed. I have been making models since 1960 and I'm a bit disappointed as I had just made a so-called beginner's level Hobby Boss MS 406 which went together like a dream.

Edited by LM466

• 2 months later...