Hasegawa 1/32 Bf109G-6 "Super Experten" and Aires detailing set

So... I've finished the P-38 Lightning and now it's time to join in and play along with this group build.

For this, I'm going to be making the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf109 G-6 "Supr Experten" and be using the complete Aires detailing set for this work.

Hopefully, if I can do this correctly, I'll be able to open up panels for the fuselage, as well as having the Engine on display and a beautiful Resin pit. But this big IF is IF I can do it of course!

I'll add photos later!

Cheers,

Chris

So here we go then...

The box shot:

DSC03151_zps079bebc9.jpg

The Aires detailing box shot:

AIRE2008_zps4a5d46ab.jpg

The contents of the Aires Box - a little bit worried here - there's quite a lot to play with!!!!:

DSC03152_zpsc031633d.jpg

DSC03153_zps07418a23.jpg

DSC03154_zps65722657.jpg

The etch that comes with the Aires box:

DSC03155_zps6edf867d.jpg

And then finally, the sprues:

DSC03156_zps39a9bd1d.jpg

This ought to keep me out of trouble for the rest of the group build. And for those moments where I need a break from it, I've just started a 1/72 Avis Bf-109A in Condor Legion markings!

Anyway, the work starts tomorrow methinks. Now... it's time for bed!

The job front is - well - a bit hit and miss Radleigh. Not sure if I'll make it through this bunch of cuts or not - but the upshot is that now, I'm having to build my stash, as opposed to invest in it!! Hopefully though, things will become clearer at some stage in the next couple of months or so.

I'll post an update asap! Been sanding resin!!

A few rushed pictures - that don't do the build justice so far!

I thought this was a good place to start - with the seatbelts. That's a lot of etch there!

DSC03163_zps6a87c430.jpg

But they build up quite convincingly:

DSC03164_zpscd668f7a.jpg

I then brushed them down and attached them to the painted cockpit tub - which is done in Vallejo RLM66, dusted with Light Grey and given a wash. Various details were picked out with Tamiya Acrylics, and placards added from the spares box:

DSC03165_zps338c395f.jpg

And one of the side panels:

DSC03170_zps2a025bb7.jpg

The other side panel, sadly the photo didn't come out - as it's the busier of the two sides, I will try to take a photo again later on!

In the meantime, I'm heading towards starting this now:

DSC03171_zpsc667ccb7.jpg

That's all for now! More to do!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much to everybody for their comments so far!

Rest assured, I haven't been resting or running away from the model. Instead, I've been progressing with the engine!

It was started with being sprayed in Nato Black, before I dusted over ALCLAD Exhaust Manifold from a distance. The details were then picked out with a silver drybrush and a wash of Citadel Inks - primarily Mud coloured.

DSC03179_zps9ef97030.jpg

So it ended up looking like this:

DSC03186_zps7d76ee66.jpg

I then assembled various bits of etch and resin, painted in Alclad Aluminium, and then weathered with Citadel Mud again:

DSC03183_zps3d724bf7.jpg

I've then painted up the firewall with RLM02 and various details picked out with Tamiya and Vallejo paints:

DSC03184_zpse368dec9.jpg

DSC03185_zps64e0c1ef.jpg

So this is where it is now! And it's been put to one side until I've assembled the fuselage - which is the next job.

This starts by painting up the sidewalls for the rear fuselage - this is also very much a work in progress, and I've done about 50% of it so far:

DSC03189_zpsdffd45ee.jpg

I've also started to sand down the fuselage in order to make these resin bits fit. There's a bit of debate in the instructions - they seem to refer that you leave a certain measure of the fuselage infront of the cockpit there - however, having looked at the resin piece:

DSC03188_zps7fbb0cc1.jpg

It became quite clear to me that you need to remove all of the plastic infront of the cockpit, which is what I did:

DSC03187_zps643694b3.jpg

So there we go! A quick update!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

So then! It's been a few days without an update - and there's a good reason behind this - I've spent the last week back at work, keeping myself busy and job searching all at the same time.

Although, it's been a bit of a long week though - work has continued on this project, although more slowly than I would have liked! And also, not all the photos are on my camera - a lot are on my phone. So as it stands, there are no photos of the resin undercarriage bays that have now been fitted. But rest assured, this was an easy, almost drop in task. The actual resin bits only required the swiftest of all passes with my sanding stick and the wings went together perfectly.

Anyway, I go off on a tangent!

So...

In the last update, I started work on the radio bay of this aircraft.

My next job was to finish the painting, and to add a couple of extra wires into the bay for added effect:

DSC03191_zps1ffcbb5d.jpg

This was then fitted into the fuselage, following the Aires instructions. There was a lot of debate about this - and even now, I'm not sure if I got it correct or not. However, the instructions allude to it being attached at this point and not interfering with the tail bulkhead when it is attached:

DSC03199_zps0d73d293.jpg

After fitting this, I also noted that the oxygen bottles should have indeed been blue, which was hastily done as soon as I could!

I then was sawing away very happily at the fuselage, removing details from inside the cockpit, and hollowing out the radio compartment door:

DSC03195_zps200dc0ee.jpg

DSC03194_zps263d0ec5.jpg

I also gave the engine a coat of future:

DSC03193_zpsf56b8a10.jpg

Then I fitted the fuselage together and moved the cockpit into place. As far as fit goes, it's not a perfect fit, mainly due to a little bit of ineptitude on my behalf - but a little bit of sanding and fettling got it into the right place:

DSC03200_zps3c51c64b.jpg

I apologise about the dust in this shot - rest assured, I have got rid of it now!!:

DSC03201_zps61fc3b69.jpg

Then I did the wing assemblies - sadly I don't have any photos here at the moment, but before I go onto the next stage, I will take some!! It was a very easy process though to fit them in!

The rest of the wing assemblies were done, and then, using a combination of tape and blu tac, I've got the subassemblies of the cowling into place, and covered the whole lot in primer:

DSC03204_zps4cc77dbf.jpg

Despite my best efforts and masking, there's been a little bit of overspray - but it's nothing that can't be sorted out a bit later on!:

DSC03205_zps32cb17cd.jpg

So this is where I am now.

And here's a picture of a cat drinking coffee:

coffeecat1.jpg

More to come - tomorrow afternoon, tiredness allowing, I hope to preshade the build and the subassemblies and maybe - just maybe - get the first hints of camo onto it.

Cheers for now,

Chris