Airfix PR Mk.XIX--what happened?

NPL

It began when I spotted some divergencies between the XIX and XII (both Airfix).

The result of the measurements of today says that the XIX is in perfect order. And thus I can happily agree with John.

So my reason for opening this was not to find something wrong with the new kit.

I made a control measurement with the SH XII.

Moreover checking the XIX wing position with Tamiya, they are exactly the same. It is SH that places the wings to far back.

NP

So for the sake of clarity, and to avoid the necessity of having to read between the lines, are you saying the XIX is OK and the XII is not?

Cheers

So for the sake of clarity, and to avoid the necessity of having to read between the lines, are you saying the XIX is OK and the XII is not?

Cheers

It would be the logical deduction. But the difference is very small, and I need to check it again. The thing about the back of the fuselage as too thick on the Mk.XII seems also to be true. Corrected on the XIX.

NP

Just for info the Airfix XII and 17 wings are 1.25mm too wide over chord and the L/E is 1mm too far back with the T/E being app 2.15mm out of place to the rear.

I don't have a SH 15. Just for the record the XII and 17 are too deep in the belly and the fins are too high.

The new Mk 19 is fine.

John

Edited by John Aero

Now please please NPL tell me that the Airfix Mk.XIX fuselage is slightly slimmer than MK.XII and I'll order them ASAP.

@Jonathan

I'm tired of buying new kits as they appear and then selling them in disappointment. So I'll rather wait until the first excitement is over and the real picture becomes clear. I've been following your build with great interest, believe me.

@lufbramatt

Sadly there is no "dislike post" button on BM. If you don't like the subject, simply skip the topic. And you completely misunderstood the whole point of the topic.

Vedran

Edited by dragonlanceHR

Now please please NPL tell me that the Airfix Mk.XIX fuselage is slightly slimmer than MK.XII and I'll order them ASAP.

@Jonathan

I'm tired of buying new kits as they appear and then selling them in disappointment. So I'll rather wait until the first excitement is over and the real picture becomes clear. I've been following your build with great interest, believe me.

@lufbramatt

Sadly there is no "dislike post" button on BM. If you don't like the subject, simply skip the topic. And you completely misunderstood the whole point of the topic.

Vedran

Sorry, Vedran, that's just a little too cryptic for my feeble brain. Could you perhaps elucidate?

Pip

Which point?

Firstly, my main gripe with the Mk.XII was that the fuselage looked too fat in side view. Edgar confirmed that it was about 1mm over the Cooke drawings (don't quote me on that).

The first reports pn Mk.XIX from Telford, by Roy Sutherland, were "It has a bit slimmer fuselage than Mk.XII". I'm dying for a side-by-side profile shot of Mk.XII and Mk.XIX fuselages. Sadly NPL provided only the top view.

Second, Jonathan Mock said that everyone is waiting for measurements and no one dares to buy the kit and I answered that.

Thirdly, there were three posts in this topic in the manner of "oh what's the fuss, just shut up and build it" variety. I see that now we can "like posts" (a sad facebook-ish thing, really); so why can't I also "dislike" someones post?

Vedran

• Like 3

Not sure what "fat looking fuselage" is. But for the helluvit, I measured the fuselage of the SH Seafire XV and Airfix Sefire XVII with a Pocket Slide Caliper . At 50mm in from the rudder hinge line, the SH kit measures 22mm high by 13mm wide. The Airfix measured 23.5mm x 13mm. Perhaps the fat is in the handeling of the molded curves.

As a note, the fuselage catapault spools on the SH kit are about 4mm further back than the Airfix kit. On the Airfix, they are just at the 50mm mark in from rudder hinge. On the SH they are 46mm in.

601627_front200.jpg

The first reports pn Mk.XIX from Telford, by Roy Sutherland, were "It has a bit slimmer fuselage than Mk.XII". I'm dying for a side-by-side profile shot of Mk.XII and Mk.XIX fuselages. Sadly NPL provided only the top view.

Spitfires.jpg

The Airfix PR.XIX in front; the Mk.XII behind - the difference varies from 1-2mm.

Edited by Welkin

Three cheers for Welkin! Huzza!

Thirdly, there were three posts in this topic in the manner of "oh what's the fuss, just shut up and build it" variety. I see that now we can "like posts" (a sad facebook-ish thing, really); so why can't I also "dislike" someones post?

"Lance" (... can I call you Lance?) I don't really like the "sad facebook-ish" contagion either, but I confess I have begun to occasionally use this option (Liking) when I don't have anything in particular to say about a post, but want the poster to know that I appreciated it. And I have to admit, I'm always a little pleased to see that someone has liked one of mine. As for the converse, I completely agree with your sentiment.

Steven, I believe that the references to "fat" fuselages were all thinking of "too tall", rather than wide. Thanks for the measurements and observations!

bob

• Like 3

Gentlemen,

The meeting point of wing fillet and the trailing edge of the wing matched the frame No.11, which means that the trailing edge was just below the backside of the hedarest. In other words, the Airfix 'XIX is correct in this respect. Tamiya, SpH and IMHO both earlier Airfix Griffon powered kits are spoiled.

Gentlemen,

The meeting point of wing fillet and the trailing edge of the wing matched the frame No.11, which means that the trailing edge was just below the backside of the hedarest. In other words, the Airfix 'XIX is correct in this respect. Tamiya, SpH and IMHO both earlier Airfix Griffon powered kits are spoiled.

"Spoiled?" Couldn't you just say those kits are off in that particular dimension?

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

Ho, ho! This means a total new situation: Now we have to speculate about how to convert the XIX into all other marks of the Spitfire, because all other kits are "spoiled"! Maybe EDuard will help--if we poor Spitfire fans are lucky.

Somehow this does not work.

NP

"Spoiled?" Couldn't you just say those kits are off in that particular dimension?

If you like, I can say they are spoiled/flawed/misshapen -selection is yours - in this particular and some other dimensions( wing planform on Tamiya and fuselage height( 'fatness') on AF XII ).

Is ignorance strength?

Is ignorance strength?

Is rudeness uplifting? The vast majority, on here, manage to put their views across, without calling into question other members mental capacity. Edited by Edgar
  • Like 3

To put it simply, the New Airfix Spitfire Mk X1X is a new benchmark in 1:48 scale. All other mainstream 1:48 scale kits are flawed in some way be they early Airfix, Tamiya, Hasegawa or eastern european. It's a pity but a simple truth. We have enough accurate measurements now from Edgar, Monforton,Bentley, GingerBob and myself to lay these arguments to rest for ever.

John

• Like 4

To put it simply, the New Airfix Spitfire Mk X1X is a new benchmark in 1:48 scale. All other mainstream 1:48 scale kits are flawed in some way be they early Airfix, Tamiya, Hasegawa or eastern european. It's a pity but a simple truth. We have enough accurate measurements now from Edgar, Monforton,Bentley, GingerBob and myself to lay these arguments to rest for ever.

John

Amen.

If you like, I can say they are spoiled/flawed/misshapen -selection is yours - in this particular and some other dimensions( wing planform on Tamiya and fuselage height( 'fatness') on AF XII ).

Is ignorance strength?

Perhaps English is not your first language. So before you use pejorative words, understand their meaning. But based on this discussion, we are not ignorant. We are in full knowledge of the pluses and minuses of each kit.

With that information we can make informed decisions, as adults, as to what kits we buy and build, or don't buy. Ignorance is the absence of information.

As much as it pains some to read threads that pick apart a model for issues of over-done panal lines and a couple milimeters of error, those threads may give many information that they may use to decide in buying a kit, before parting with their hard earned money.

Having bought and built the Airfix Seafire XVII or SH XV, that was my decision based on information, not ignorance. Notwithsanding that I find the panel lines on the Airfix nausiating and the fit on the SH less than ideal ( :bye:). I wanted those in my collection and I am willing to overlook those issues about which I am not ignorant.

Edited by Steven Eisenman
  • Like 1

Is rudeness uplifting? The vast majority, on here, manage to put their views across, without calling into question other members mental capacity.

Ignorance has nothing whatsoever to do with mental capacity. Ignorance means lacking knowledge or awareness, or being uneducated (even if only on a specific point). The word has taken on a negative meaning in recent years that is not warranted. As I always say though, ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever ;)