Nice viper cockpit

AndyGB

Now that I've finished my Galactica I have been thinking about my next build and trying to expand on the basic engine lighting I put into that kit.

I think I have found my inspiration (with maybe a couple of colour change/flashing LEDs feeding fibre to behind the main screen)

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Lit-BSG-Viper-Mk-II-Model-Build/#intro

This is a nice build that turned out well. I have a few suggestions based on my approach to lighting this kit.

Glad to see this modeler and I had the same idea about using fiber-optics for the wing tips. One tip I would add is that to use white glue to build up the tip light shape around the fiber end.

DSC08492.JPG

The fiber in the cockpit is a great idea although I found it to be a little too bright but that may just the way it was photographed. I used the PGMS photo-etch set lit with three surface mount LEDs.

Viper_Mk_2_Cockpit_panels.JPG

My engines also used the PGMS photo-etch and were each lit with a single blue surface mount LED.

Viper_Mk_2_tail.JPG

I also lighted the pilot's helmet. I cut the helmet off and Dremeled out the inside and the faceplate. I added a clear styrene faceplate, the front half of a 1/48th scale head (spares box) and a single white Christmas tree LED light. The LED is mounted behind the head and shines light around the sides of the face to give the illusion of a lighted helmet. The wiring runs down a hole drilled through the body. Hard to see but I know it's there!

DSC08488.JPG

I did one other thing different. I see a lot of modelers mounting batteries inside a model with no way to change it. I prefer to run all my power lines down a (square) brass tube to a battery and switch in the base - which, in my case, is a section of the Galactica landing approach area.

DSC08478.JPG?856

Edited by Arronax