1/72 Freightdog Spitfire F Mk. XIVe

Hi all,

Ah at last, half term (in other words a week building). So hot off the work bench is my Spitfire XIVe. Difficult kit. Lots and lots and lots of sanding, filling, filing, re-scribing, cutting, etc... Not to mention the canopy was horrifically translucent.

All Humbrol acrylic paints;

163/164 for the upper surfaces,

165 for lower.

IMG_3263_zps2dee8da1.jpg

IMG_3266_zps51239ba9.jpg

IMG_3268_zps966ee20a.jpg

IMG_3271_zps48d06872.jpg

IMG_3274_zps109365c7.jpg

(I know Spitfire's aren't shiny like this, the matt enamel hasn't yet dried)

Ben.

• Like 1

Good morning Ben

Very nice Spitfire :goodjob: I have this kit in my stash ... what difficulties did you encounter ?

Difficulties come in this order,

flash,

lining up fuselage,

filling filing and sanding fuselage,

fitting the upper and lower wing surfaces before sanding them,

the fuselage/wing fit is DREADFUL!,

huge amount of sanding and filling,

tailplanes are very difficult to mount,

undercarrige isn't easy,

radiators need work done,

FINALLY, biggest problem is the translucent canopy (leave it in pledge/future/clearcote/whatever for a day then polish it).

It's no an easy or pleasant kit to build, but the finally outcome is (in my view anyway) epic :D

Ben.

Difficulties come in this order,

flash,

lining up fuselage,

filling filing and sanding fuselage,

fitting the upper and lower wing surfaces before sanding them,

the fuselage/wing fit is DREADFUL!,

huge amount of sanding and filling,

tailplanes are very difficult to mount,

undercarrige isn't easy,

radiators need work done,

FINALLY, biggest problem is the translucent canopy (leave it in pledge/future/clearcote/whatever for a day then polish it).

It's no an easy or pleasant kit to build, but the finally outcome is (in my view anyway) epic :D

Ben.

Waow well thank you for detaillaing the difficulties ..

I think I shall wait before I try to build mine

Patrice

A nice build, limited run Spitfires all seem to have problems with wing to fuselage fit, as do a lot of mainstream kits. Just to think that at one time a fair number of kits had the same fit issues, anyone remeber the Airfix Yak 9?

Just some of my observations. Bad news I've got 4 of these and one being built! The rocker covers seem to lack a inlet valve on the starboard side, but getting the Freightdog replacement set and prop improves this and of course add more cost.

The radiaitors are bad and lack detail on the condenser? internals, I think someone else has done a study on the intake profiles.

The cockpit is a bit thick and the fit isn't brilliant, the front windscreen fuselage mount on the kit seems overly heavy and I have tried to sand it down a bit. The instrument panel seems to fit too far back, but this is easily sorted to move it to the right point furtehr forward. (I failed to do this).

I found the wing fit is sorted as per some chap called Miggers suggestioned to glue the top wing in first and then fettle the lower wing to fit. It minimises the fit problems and hides any problems under the wing. Pity he isn't such a genius on panel lines shading and Spitfires!

That said your's looks excellent and mine is languishing in the box.

Ooooh,an XIV low-back,one of my favorites.

For what you're terming a difficult kit wellsprop,you've made a pretty decent job of that :thumbsup2: .

Just give the wheel hubs a light wash with a dark grey,you'll be surprised at the results.

Richard5207,glad you liked that wheeze and it helped you out,as for panel lines,well,

I'll keep my own council now(I know how I think a Spit should look and it's not like a patchwork quilt),

you cheeky rascal :winkgrin:

Ooooh,an XIV low-back,one of my favorites.

For what you're terming a difficult kit wellsprop,you've made a pretty decent job of that :thumbsup2: .

Just give the wheel hubs a light wash with a dark grey,you'll be surprised at the results.

Low back XIV is by far my favourite :D It's an angry, sleek looking bird.

Thanks for picking up on the wheel hubs, they look remarkably shiny and out of place given the look of the aircraft, I shall give them a wash.

This aircraft actually has a black wash in the panel lines, however I kept it very minimal just to highlight a few of the lines and give it an operational look. Here's my reference image http://www.spitfireperformance.com/41sqdn-spit14.jpg

My camera really doesn't show the crispness of the panel lines or the repainted sky band but I assure you that they are there ;)