The F111 that never, but nearly was

Mr T

P1020833_zps2e23cf09.jpgP1020822_zpsde4e698c.jpgP1020819_zpscbd7c512.jpgP1020818_zps2ea3c86c.jpg

This is my only attempt so far at what iffery. It is an F111K (Merlin GR1?) of 15 Squadron in early 1970. The model is basically the Italeri, ex Esci F111A oob apart from the in flight refuelling bay door scribed in front of the cockpit, which is where I understand the probe was going to go. I built it ‘clean’ as I remember as a teenager seeing the then new Harriers and Phantoms being shown this way at airshows etc. Camouflage and markings are based on illustrations of a model I found on the web as to the pattern and the colours are as specified for the period. The serial comes near the beginning of the allocation for production airframes and I have chosen 15 Squadron as from what I have read this was a likely contender at the time. It is finished using Xtracrylix paints with the Green being largely applied with a hairy stick. Stencil decals are from a Microscale sheet (72-452) I have kept for years and the roundeletc. Are from Modeldecal sheets and the spares box. The photos do not show the panel lines that well but they are there.

Writing this has set me thinking and somebody may be able to help me. When I was at School in nottinghamshire one Monday afternoon in either 1969 or 1970 (I think it was the former) there were a number of Harriers buzzing around including some which appeared to be landing or taking off. The school was located between Gedling and Burton Joyce on the A612 Nottingham Southwell road. It was a damn sight more interesting than the English lit lesson I was having at the time. I assume they were on exercise, the nearest RAF stations being Newton and Syerston.

• Like 6

Martin,

Congratulations on a supurb build. Of all the what-if F-111K's i've seen on the net' this must be one of the most accurate (if you can actually say that about a what-if aircraft). I'm sure many others will agree.

Cheers .. Dave

Really looks the part, doesn't it?. I did my own F-111K in a wraparound scheme a few years back but I like the scheme you chose better now that I see it and your workmanship is terrific.

David

That's lovely, look fantastic , great job! :thumbsup:

I've worked on them and have to say I have very fond memories of the beast. Though can tell you in service they were so dirty, real buggers to keep clean!

Probably would have been a great plane in RAF service.

Absolutely terrific - and I love the 'what-could-have-been' genre (all the fun of 'what if' but with a better back-story!!)

Nice one! You have just reminded me that I have one of these on the shelf of doom. It only really needs painting, it too will be an F111K. I really need to gwt on with it.

Martin

I Like it!

For the benefit of all fanciers of this subject in RAF colours the serial batches allocated were to have been:

XV884-XV887 for the TF-111K (4 airfames)

and:

XV902-XV947 for the F-111K (46 airframes)

These details from the Ian Allan book British Military Aircraft Serials 1911 to 1971 by Bruce Robertson

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1