Airfix's new Spitfire XIX, has anyone tried cross kitting wings yet for the Mk XIV?

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

I've done it in 72nd, coming up with a whiffed FRXIVc and a PRXI with a standard fighter nose and canopy (an Isreali rebuild of a crashed Egyptian PRXI - they did look at buying them post war). Plus a pair of clipped FXIVe using a Heller 16 wing.

The only snag I had with the XIX fuselage was rebuilding the fuselage below the aft canopy.

Hi all - just wondered if anyones had a chance to see if the Hasegawa Mk IX wings or the ICM/Revell Mk XVI wings fit onto the new kit, or perhaps even the Airfix Seafire XVII ones.

I've done it with the Hasegawa wings. I've matched the Airfix XIX and 24 fuselages to the Hasegawa wings and the Hasegawa fuselage to the Airfix XIX wings. I'll post some photos this evening.

Hi All!

I am building a Seafire XV from the Airfix Seafire F.17 wings and the Airfix Spitfire XII. You wind up with an extra set of "C" wings. But I also have successfully fitted ICM wings to an Aeroclub F.17 conversion, several Hasegawa Vb ( to make Seafire IIIs), and an Airfix 22/24 to make a Spitfire FR.XIVe.

Bruce

Here we go... hold on tight, rider!

In this first pic we have the Airfix XIX fuselage to the left with the Hasegawa IX fuselage to the right.

Wings, from front to back are, Airfix XIX, Hasegawa IX and Airfix 22/24.

spitwings01_zps292d3f1c.jpg

Airfix XIX fuselage mated to Hasegawa IX wing.

spitwings02_zpsc162086d.jpg

spitwings03_zps9cff9f36.jpg

The rear part of the wing/fuselage fairing fits almost perfectly. The forward part will need to be filed down - or alternatively the wing uppersurface parts filed back.

As for the undersurfaces.

spitwings04_zps3121de6f.jpg

There is a gap at the rear of the gullwing which will need to be plugged. The wing chord on both kits is almost identical.

Next one. Hasegawa IX fuselage on Airfix XIX wing.

spitwings05_zpsd620b2d5.jpg

This is, obviously, the converse of the previous pairing. The Hasegawa fairing will need to be shimmed and filled to match the Airfix wing.

On the undersurfaces, a chunk will need to be cut out of the Hasegawa fuselage to allow the camera ports to fit.

spitwings06_zpse7c6983b.jpg

And finally, the Airfix XIX fuselage on the Airfix 22/24 wing, just in case anyone is contemplating a Mk.21.

again, the fuselage fairing will need to be filed down to fit. In this case the 22/24 wing is a wider chord, so the fuselage wing root fairings will also need to be extended at the front.

spitwings08_zpsb2694644.jpg

spitwings09_zps2d97805f.jpg

Hope this helps.

I can see its all doable!!

It certainly is! I fully intend to do these conversions as I have a number of Hasegawa IXs in The Stash which will no doubt be rendered redundant by the forthcoming Eduard kit.

Great stuff Enzo.... do you have an ICM kit to do the same comparison with by any chance?

I knew I'd forgotten something! :wall: Just dragged an ICM Spitfire XVI kit from The Stash and took these photos. It seems that the ICM wing is a better choice than the Hasegawa one. No trimming needed at all, just a bit of shimming. The gull wing section at the back of the wing is a couple of millimetres wider than the Airfix fuselage, so that will require some trimming, but it is minimal. Again, the rear fuselage will need to be plugged.

spitwings10_zpse76654b4.jpg

spitwings11_zps8665a790.jpg

spitwings12_zps9d817734.jpg

spitwings13_zps392fb249.jpg

I Just dragged an ICM Spitfire XVI kit from The Stash and took these photos. It seems that the ICM wing is a better choice than the Hasegawa one. No trimming needed at all, just a bit of shimming. The gull wing section at the back of the wing is a couple of millimetres wider than the Airfix fuselage, so that will require some trimming, but it is minimal. Again, the rear fuselage will need to be plugged.

Great. So the PRXI has just got a lot easier, as has a XIV....

The 'plug' can of course just be sourced from the cut out bit of fuselage to accodmate the camera's.

Nest question... how good is the fit of the swapped radiators, if you could be so kind please Enzo.

The Eduard kit may well end up the dog's danglies but it looks to me that ICM will match to the Airfix quite well detail wise, and like many others, I have a few ICM's stashed away.

thanks for the pics!

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Nest question... how good is the fit of the swapped radiators, if you could be so kind please Enzo.

The fit of the Airfix XIX radiators to the Hasegawa wing is almost perfect. Just a teensy, tiny smidge of filler at the back end of the flange. In fact, the tiny gap could be filled with primer.

The converse - Hasegawa radiators to Airfix wing - requires an equivalent taken off the radiator flange. But it is merely a stroke or two with a sanding stick. Probably thirty seconds work. Oh... and of course the internal section where the radiator faces fit will need to be reduced in height.

Fitting the Airfix IX radiators to the ICM wing is slightly more involved. That will require a bit of sanding along the whole length of the radiator flanges. Let's say a couple of minutes work for each radiator. Not exactly taxing... :D

I'll try and remember to take some photos at the weekend.

Looking at the "fit" of the wings to fuselage, wouldn't it be easier to take some panels from this wing and add them to the Mk.XIX wing.

I am still waiting for my first two copies of the Mk.XIX -- should be here any day from now.

Another ting: I would be very surprised if some of the producers of conversion kits will not very soon have something to offer.

NP

Hi All!

There are a few other items needing to be changed to make a XIV. The front and rear pressure bulkheads need replacing and the canopy and runners need to be changed. If Airfix does not include the radio hatch plug as in the 1/72nd scale kit, that needs to be changed....unless one is doing a FR.XIVc or e.

Bruce

Looking at the "fit" of the wings to fuselage, wouldn't it be easier to take some panels from this wing and add them to the Mk.XIX wing.

I am still waiting for my first two copies of the Mk.XIX -- should be here any day from now.

Another ting: I would be very surprised if some of the producers of conversion kits will not very soon have something to offer.

NP

NP

No, not really, well, not if you want the PR wing, which I do

The basic PR wing, sometimes called the 'D' wing, or bowser wing was used for the PR IV, PR X, PR XI and the PR XIX, [with different radiators depending on version of course] which is why you want the PR wing!

You can modify the gun wing but there's a load of panels to fill, and diferent access hatches to scribe in.

see here http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html/2

If anyone has Peter Cook'e s drawings of the XIV/XIX, it has the plane split down the middle, XIV one side, XIX the other.

Given that the wing in the Airfix PR XIX includes the camera ports this greatly eases building PR variants.

Aeroclub did do a PRXI nose, [it was deeper for a larger oil tank. ]

So it now is reasonable easy to get a high back XIV and PR XI.

So when I get chance....[and a XIX kit..]

Airfix 24 wing plus XIX fuselage [with mods noted by Bruce] = Mk21

Airfix 24 Fuselage , with modified fin and Aeroclub or scratchbuilt rudder plus ICM E wing= FR XIV or XVIII

XIX wing plus ICM IX fuselage with mods plus Aeroclub deep cowl = PRXI

happy days :)

cheers

T