Arado Ar (E) 555 (luft`46) Revell 1/72

The Arado Ar E.555-1 was constructed entirely of metal (both steel and Duraluminum), and was basically a flying wing with a short, circular cross section forward fuselage where the pressurized cockpit was located. There were two large vertical fins and rudders that sat 6.2 m (20' 4") from the centerline of the aircraft. The main landing gear undercarriage consisted of two tandem, dual wheeled units that retracted inwards into the wing, and the front landing gear was a single, dual wheeled unit that retracted to the rear to lie beneath the cockpit. A droppable auxialiary landing gear could be used for overload conditions. Power was to be provided by six BMW 003A, all located on the rear upper surface of the wing. Defensive armament consisted of two MK 103 30mm cannon in the wing roots near the cockpit, a remote controlled turret armed with two MG 151/20 20mm cannon located just behind the cockpit and a further two MG 151/20 20mm cannon in a remote controlled tail turret, which was controlled via a periscope in a pressurized weapons station behind the cockpit area.
On December 28, 1944, Arado was ordered to cease all work on the E.555 series, probably due to the worsening war situation, and the need to concentrate aircraft development and production on fighters.

3bae555.jpg

Info and picture taken from luft46.com

What if`s have allways fascinated me, and when this one came up cheap on e-bay, i just had to have it.

Britmodellers review can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234916988-arado-ar-e-555/

And this site got all the info you need about Luft 46: www.luft46.com

Well, i was so eager to get going, that the normal box`n sprue shot was missed, but its out there on the internet anyways.

Started of normaly with the pit, rlm66 with some fantasy-detailpainting.

20130211_205601.jpg

As you see, i should be on the safe side concidering avoiding a tail-sitter :)

Top fuselage glued on, and the details starts to disapear, hehe.

20130212_010830.jpg

If im lucky, some of it will show......

20130212_010837.jpg

Here is the current standing, will let the glue set overnight, and then continue with the fins.

20130212_010824.jpg

Engines are just temp, wont glue them on before main paint is done.

Mean look :)

20130212_010802.jpg

too be continued......

• Like 1

I'm going to have to build me one of these. Interesting choice of nose weight.

Nice work! although you might be sorry next time you need to fix your car!.

Martin

• Like 1

Dont glue the engine bay together yet ! ....you wont get the front or rear bits to fit if you do.....dont ask me how I know :lol:

Its a smashing kit ...so glad Revell finally released it again and wiped the smile of the Ebay £40 kit sellers :evil_laugh:

Andy

This really is a beautiful kit to build - I've built 2 with a 3rd waiting in the background for an opportunistic moment to get built. So simple to do - I've managed to get both of mine built, painted, klear coated, decaled etc in a day (that's a day each, not both in a day!!!)

As airfixandy pointed out, dont glue the engines......i did, and had to squeeze the front and aft parts of the enginges in, it worked, but needed some filling and sanding afterwards....

Progressed a bit today, got it primed, preshaded, and got the rlm76 on the underside on, i have painted the flaps and ailerons aluminium, and are thinking about keeping them that way.

20130213_003004.jpg

IMG_0808.JPG

I seriously need a better place to take pics, but i promise, it IS rlm76, hehe