Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire Mk 1

Hi All

This is my build of the lovely little Airfix kit. It went together very well and all I have done is add the armour behind the seat, the oxygen tank and hose, Cut the canopy and only used the windscreen , the other bits came from the spares box, Undercarriage position indicators, rudder actuator link and ariels and Decals for X4067. Painted by brush using Humbrol enamel paints. I know there are arguments about Panel lines and they do appear quite thick but I think it still looks a nice kit overall. Hope you like it, I certainly enjoyed building it and it has got my modelling juices flowing again after losing my Mojo last year.

mycarsjan20082322.jpg

mycarsjan20082321.jpg

mycarsjan20082324.jpg

mycarsjan20082325.jpg

mycarsjan20082326.jpg

mycarsjan20082328.jpg

mycarsjan20082320.jpg

mycarsjan20082327.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

Chris, beautiful handiwork, love the exhaust stains, did you use the new Humbrol powder. And the weathering on the wing roots, what did you use there, if I may ask?

Lovely work well done

Thanks

David

Wow thanks everyone for your kind comments

Mpaul - Yes once painted with the enamels and sealed etc the panel lines were washed with oils. The panel lines on the side of the fuselage worried me the most the rest actually look okay, however when I clean off the model I do it with a fingertip and get as good a result when it gets dirty swap to another, I clean them off give them a lick and then carry on sounds gross but does seem to work okay, I never have much luck with a spirit soaked cloth and always seem to wipe away too much.

Bill, I have had a bit of a last couple of years with all the goverment cuts, I have been through two business cases at work and the worry (losing the house if I lost my job, with two kids to look after) took it's toll and made me slightly ill both mentally and physically but I am bouncing back now and suddenly seem to have got the modelling bug again, although I will flit between the models and Model railways as I am a bit of a Tart. Hope you get your Mojo back soon we need to see more Bill Clark Models

David - I used Humbrol 165 underneath Pheonix enamels dirty black paint, I have not tried powders yet. The scratching was done with pewter/aluminium and silver coloured pencils, just make sure they are sharp and you can creat a great chipped effect. I bought a good quality set from WH Smith and gave the ones I didn't want to the kids.

Tony - Go for it fella, although I think the plastic on the tamiya kit is a lot thinner so would be less work that way.

Max - I faded the colours with someHumbrol matt 24 (trainer yellow) mixed in in the centres of the panels, the colours do darken when glossed over with Johnsons Klear although when covered in matt varnish they become lighter again.

Thanks Again everyone

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

Chris, Many thanks for all the info and time. Good to see you getting back and relaxing (I hope). But as the others have said "cracking model/result"

Look forward to more of your efforts.

David