Scale of farm animals and Tractors ?

Stuck

Hi there,

Now I know this might sound a bit of a silly question, but for a work project i have a model farmyard to make which could lead to many more. However i am in a bit of a quandary as to what scale to work to. I have had a look in my local toy shop here in France and the only range of farm animals is by a company named Schleich, but i have looked on their website and they dont seem to mention what scale they are.. I know that Britains range are a lot smaller;

I dont expect for anything to be the exact scale, after all they will be children's toys. Also another project will be fantasy castles, to compliment warhammer figures etc; So any help on these subjects will be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

I'm not sure the Schleich ones are consistent... the ones in our local toy shop seem to be rather variable, depending on the size of the original. The puppies seem to be 1/4 the size of a cow! I think if you are going to need any equipment at all, you'd be best going for 1/32, which gives you the Britains and Siku Farmer ranges to work with. My dad built some farm buildings for the kids a decade or so ago, sized for the Britains animals (and vehicles) and even allowing for not being quite full sized for the figures, they are still quite large. One clever trick that he did is that they "nest" inside one another, like a Russian doll, so they are much easier to store.

bestest,

M.

For the castles, I wouldn't worry too much about scale -- anything that is scaled accurately to Warhammer figures will be far too big for the average playroom. When I built one for small son years ago, I made it modular, so that the walls and main towers can be slotted together in different ways, for smaller or larger castles. The LONG, thick, cardboard rolls that come in the middle of carpets are ideals for sawing up to make towers, and any carpet shop will be happy to hand them over for free. I used thin plywood for the walls, but maybe for smaller scale castles foamcore board would be a strong(ish) and much lighter alternative.

The most important thing when designing your buildings is to check the bases of your figures (I was building for Italeri and Britains 1/32 Knights) and make sure they can stand on your wall-walks and platforms facing straight over the battlements (otherwise your customers won't be able to fire at the enemy!). Also check the height of mounted figures and make sure that they can "ride" through the gatehouse and other archways.

I wish _I_ had this kind of thing as a "work project" ;-P

bestest,

M.

In Europe 1/87th HO is also quite popular for farms. Fits in well with the standard railway scale and there are a lots of farm vehicles from the like of Schuco, Wiking etc. Also enables you to use railway accessories, buildings, animals etc.

Have a look at this UK Model Farm forum, it'll give you some ideas. There is some HO stuff on there but may need a bit of finding.

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/