Airfix Hurricane MK1

NDarby

Hi all, following on from my 1st model (an airfix Mosquito) I have got the bug and made a start on my Hurricane. I've been doing it a while now and this is as far as I have got. I had a nightmare with the wing roots and you can see that im not very apt at using filler yet!! (check out the right wing root). Its all a learning curve for me. I managed to mess up the scribbing by not having very steady hands. The paint has been done twice now and i'm still not happy but this is a practise aircraft before I start my Tamiya Spitfire MK1. This is my 1st attempt at camo. The canopy is not glued on yet so don't worry that its a little skewed at present. I did pre shade but then sprayed to heavy so nothing shows through. I'm going to try pastels instead. Any advice will be greatly apreciated........

IMG_5905_zps57b28dc0.jpg

IMG_5906_zpsd3bfbf0e.jpg

IMG_5908_zps8480f290.jpg

I started building one of these on Friday.

Havent rescribed or anything, just building OOB and brush painting using Revell AquaColour and Tamiya Acrylics.

I hd to use a bit of filler myself, and have to say, I do not like Tamiya paints, but its going together okay. Yours is looking very good. Excellent demarcation on the fuselage between the upper and lower colours.

If you do look at glossing the surface using a can, mist several light coats rather than one thick one. Helps with the decals. Humbrol do decal stuff which should be available. Those of us who model for years still get silvering so don't worry. I particularly like your brush work.

Take your time and enjoy your modelling. Before you know it, you'll be producing great models and learning from lads and lasses who all started like you did. I started with Airfix kits you brought in plastic bags and that was 40 years ago!

Best of luck!

Just as an aside, if your not too confident in using gloss cans or brushing gloss coats on, there is a product called Future Floor Wax, which may be called something else by now. I use it by using a wide brush, it goes on easily and dries quickly. You can cover it easily with your choice of mat clear as well.

Thanks for all the advice and comments. I feel I have learnt a little bit more with this build. Hopefully I won't make the same mistakes on the next one!!!I am going to put this one down to experience and move on to my Spitfire. I think i'll still use it to practise some weathering techniques. I am going to spray the Spit using a clear gloss coat using Tamiya clear and sray using my airbrush. After I have applied the decals, do I need to rub down the gloss coat with fine wet and dry or can I just apply a coat of matt clear on top. I really don't like gloss finishes so the matt coat is a must for me.

Neil

It does look brilliant taken into perspective, that it's your second model. A cheaper alternatvie, would be to use humbrols decalfix, which I have used quite a few times, and it works brilliant! :D

Robin

You've done well for your second model, the silvering can be fixed as mentioned above. A gloss coat then decals then matt varnish should sort out any issues. Use a flexible straight edge when rescribing (old bank cards are good), Dymo tape for curved surfaces.

Still the best-looking Hurricane kit in my opinion :)

HI Neil,

Someone mentioned doing several mist coats when you spray the gloss - good idea. Then prep the place where you are going to put the decals with Microset. When they are on roll a q-tip over them, then lightly brush microsol over them and leave alone for about 12 hours. (the microsol makes then very delicate) Then you can do the weathering (still on the gloss coat). Once the weathering is complete spray with a flat matt coat. Hope that helps! :)

When decals are badly silvered like that, over a matt finish, they will easily pull off using sellotape. I suggest you do that, then gloss up the model and apply a second set. As the kit is still in production, if you send a nicely worded email to Airfix here, including a couple of pics and saying that you;re made a slight blunder and can they help you out...:

http://www.airfix.com/contact-us/

... they will send you a replacement. They replace defective parts for free, and sometimes take pity on people who've just screwed something up. However, even if you don't get a freebie replacement they will sell you replacement transfer sheets for in-stock kits for a very modest cost.

When decals are badly silvered like that, over a matt finish, they will easily pull off using sellotape. I suggest you do that, then gloss up the model and apply a second set. As the kit is still in production, if you send a nicely worded email to Airfix here, including a couple of pics and saying that you;re made a slight blunder and can they help you out...:

http://www.airfix.com/contact-us/

... they will send you a replacement. They replace defective parts for free, and sometimes take pity on people who've just screwed something up. However, even if you don't get a freebie replacement they will sell you replacement transfer sheets for in-stock kits for a very modest cost.

Thanks for the help. I have now removed the decals and i will gloss it up ready for some new ones (hopefully). Once I have glossed it and added the decals, do i need to rub it down ready for a matt coat of clear or can i go straight on top of the gloss?

Neil

I just spray the matt coat on after i have decalled and weathered. No rubbing down or anything. Seems to have given me good results on my two models.

See the BF109 and Hurricane links in my sig.

Very very nice :) these new Airfix toolings do look good, don't they? Lovely paint work on her too. Just a little tip to add to the glossing speak. Make sure it's not wet and/or cold when/where you do it, the coats will react somehow and look like they've silvered. Learned that one the hard way... :/ you should be able to wack a matt/satin coat right on top of an gloss coat too.

Kind Regards

Dazz