Hellcat's Eduard 1/72

docjojo

Great job on the cockpit.

It's a nice kit - goes together without any filler. Watch the wings though - the fit is so tight that you may need to shave off a tiny bit to make sure that, with the thickness of paint on them (!), that they go in.

Philip

Got one of these in my stash and it's fairly close to the top of my line up to build.

One question: the profi-pack has pre-coloured photo etch parts...... so what make/number paint did you use for the green of the inside of the cockpit etc. so that it matched the parts?

I had a different model with a pre-coloured set of PE recently and spent ages trying to get close to the colour so it would look OK.

Thought I'd ask so that I can ensure that I have it in ready for when I start the build.

looks good so far - I'll be following with interest so any tips you want to post about it would go down really well!

TFB

Got one of these in my stash and it's fairly close to the top of my line up to build.

One question: the profi-pack has pre-coloured photo etch parts...... so what make/number paint did you use for the green of the inside of the cockpit etc. so that it matched the parts?

I had a different model with a pre-coloured set of PE recently and spent ages trying to get close to the colour so it would look OK.

Thought I'd ask so that I can ensure that I have it in ready for when I start the build.

looks good so far - I'll be following with interest so any tips you want to post about it would go down really well!

TFB

Hi TFB,

For the color of the cockpit i use the H58 Interior green of Gunze.

Thank's to all for your comments

Hi Doc,

I know this is unsolicited, but for what its worth, the Navy Gloss Sea Blue held up pretty well in the maritime environment, not really "Fading" per se. As it aged the sheen changed from a high gloss (as it left the factory) to more of a semi gloss, and only in very extreme cases did it go to a dull flat.

i suggest taking the -5 outdoors into sunlight to double check the colour of the Dark Sea Blue. Most Gloss Sea Blues look too dark on a 72nd scale model and its made even worse when you are working in Fluorescent light. So, bottom line is to look at good colour photos and take the model outdoors to make sure you are happy with the colour.

The -3 Hellcat "Three Tone" paint scheme is an entirely different matter. Both the Non Spec Sea Blue and the Intermediate Blue were more unstable when exposed to sunlight and both colours faded much more heavily, especially on the very early 3-tone -3 hellcats seen during the 1943 Marcus Islands raids. The flat finish also attracted every conceivable handprint, boot mark, and cordite streak which made these planes much more difficult to keep clean. And i haven't even gotten started about the exhaust streak yet.

Just some things to consider.

david

Looks pretty nice. Both of them!

Those small circles on the inner wing sections are the wing locking pin indicators. They should be red. Those and the wing walkways will add a splash of colour, plus the white stenciling that goes on the wings.

The F6F, more than many other aeroplanes, looks blunt, lifeless, and ugly until the national insignia go on. Then.....

WOW!!

of course i like Hellcats and Corsairs, so i'm a bit biased....

david