Airfix Javelin Release Date

johnny akes

Can't quite make out what the second and third marking options are from the box - would someone by kind enough to clue me in,

Thanks.....

According to Airfix Model World magazine the options are:

XH903 of 33Sqn

XH898 of 228OCU

XH893 of 64Sqn

There's a picture of the decal sheet, there's an awful lot of stencils...

Wez

According to Airfix Model World magazine the options are:

XH903 of 33Sqn

XH898 of 228OCU

XH893 of 64Sqn

There's a picture of the decal sheet, there's an awful lot of stencils...

Wez

I have just placed a pre-order with Wonderland as its my birthday on the 28th and they say it is available on the 27th - so its a b'day pressie :)

My father did his national service at RAF Leeming as an armourer for the Javelins on 228OCU. I know he worked on the earlier version of the Javelin (FAW 5 I think). My questions therefore are:

How easy to create an FAW5 from the FAW9? Bearing in mind this is not going into a competition and I am not a very experienced modeller (doing it for my pleasure mainly and to show/give to Dad when done).

Did the Leuchars 228OCU tail fin include the horse head insignia? From the pictures of the schemes I have seen it is difficult to make out. If not are there any 1/48 scale decals that include that insignia (I cannot find any) or any decent photos of it that I could use to make my own decal?

Thanks in advance.

SLoB

Just checked on Hattons site and found the following regarding forthcoming releases.

So it looks as though Hattons may very well honour their price, only time will tell

Forthcoming Releases

This page lists products which we have ordered but have not yet been released to the retail trade by the manufacturer. You can request a notification email to be sent to you when the items have come into stock by viewing the detail page and filling in your details.

Pricing policy on Forthcoming Releases/On Order items

The prices displayed are guaranteed (to be no higher) for all advance orders, and quick responses to Advance Notification emails. Prices may occasionally have changed by the time the items appear in the magazines we advertise in. Occasionally we may reduce a price, prior to the items release. In these cases, all advance orders will be charged the lower price.

Hattons will honour the pre order price, along with the postage

Edited by feldr

Thanks, Derek. At that rate it would be churlish to refuse, so that's another Javelin order they've picked up!

+1

+ another 1

Wife wont be happy though, just hope I can intercept the postie!

Guess this is the downside to LMS closing, can't hide big boxes in the boot of the car until "a convenient moment".

I hope it does well enough for Airfix not to put them off similar ambitious releases.

I hope it doesn't put them off the Javelin so they don't get put off releasing a 1/72nd version!

Wez

Here, here. I am desperate for a modern, accurate 1/72 scale Dragmaster.

Duncan B

+ another 1

Guess this is the downside to LMS closing, can't hide big boxes in the boot of the car until "a convenient moment".

Ask for it to be delivered next door...........

Trevor

I have just placed a pre-order with Wonderland as its my birthday on the 28th and they say it is available on the 27th - so its a b'day pressie :)

My father did his national service at RAF Leeming as an armourer for the Javelins on 228OCU. I know he worked on the earlier version of the Javelin (FAW 5 I think). My questions therefore are:

How easy to create an FAW5 from the FAW9? Bearing in mind this is not going into a competition and I am not a very experienced modeller (doing it for my pleasure mainly and to show/give to Dad when done).

Did the Leuchars 228OCU tail fin include the horse head insignia? From the pictures of the schemes I have seen it is difficult to make out. If not are there any 1/48 scale decals that include that insignia (I cannot find any) or any decent photos of it that I could use to make my own decal?

Thanks in advance.

SLoB

IIRC when at Leuchars 228 OCU aircraft wore 11 Sqn markings (as a shadow unit) as per the NMF example in the kit.

Duncan B

My questions therefore are:

Thanks in advance.

SLoB

Well SLoB,

At minimum you'd need a pen-nib fairing for the rear fuselage/exhaust and you'd need to remove the middle spanwise row of vortex generators on the upper wing.

Not having seen the kit yet don't know how easy the pen-nib would be (hopefully some enterprising manufacturer of resin bits would help here). The vortex generators should be a fairly easy job.

Wez

+ another 1

You could always have it delivered to your workplace if that's convenient. Sold a few on Ebay recently that were sent care of various workplaces. Evidently some vigilant wives around!

You could always have it delivered to your workplace if that's convenient. Sold a few on Ebay recently that were sent care of various workplaces. Evidently some vigilant wives around!

:winkgrin: My 'stash' maintenance problems went away following a short visit to the posty on-site. Friendly chat with the ladies that run it over a carefully placed pack of chocolate Hob-Nobs* means all my purchases now go via the work route. Even do the odd delivery for SWMBO to save her the effort of having to go to the Parcel Force office to pick up her purchases if delivered while at work.

* Legal notice: other biscuit/confectionary methods of bribery are available :-)

• Like 1

Nice idea, but I'm self employed... Home is my base. Guess I need to work my schedule accordingly.

Thanks for the input.

Will wait until I receive kit and then consider what to do. My research indicates I would need to convert it to an FAW5 and I am presently searching for images and information (including scale drawings if poss) to assist. As for the tail insignia I have it from a 1/72 old set of decals and could probably do something with that. I suppose I could pop by RAF Leeming to see if I can get a decent photo of the gate-guard tail, but that seems unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Looking forward to seeing the new kit. If anything like other Airfix recent releases it should be pretty good. I may even decide to wait and hope that someone brings out some aftermarket conversion rather than risk me messing up a good model.

At minimum you'd need a pen-nib fairing for the rear fuselage/exhaust and you'd need to remove the middle spanwise row of vortex generators on the upper wing.

And muck about with the leading edge of the wing - it wasn't drooped on Marks earlier than the FAW.Mk.8. You'd need a bit more than the pen-nib down the back, too, as the engine nozzles were very different on the last couple of Marks.

IIRC when at Leuchars 228 OCU aircraft wore 11 Sqn markings (as a shadow unit) as per the NMF example in the kit.

I am looking at a photograph I took while with the OCU at Leuchars, ca. September -October 1966, and not all the Javelins wore the 11 Squadron insiginia on the fin. Those with this marking include T 3s XH397:B and XH435:D, and FAW 9s XH912:E (which was removed by October) and XH767:F. Those without the fin marking include FAW 9s XH905:L, XH715:M and XH713:O. Now we come to the recently-featured photograph of George Beaton's all-silver Javelin, XH898:GHB, which, IIRC, was dated September 1966? I dated my photograph as being in August 1966 (with another in October 1966) and in both of these, the 11 Squadron marking on the fin is absent. Interesting?

And muck about with the leading edge of the wing - it wasn't drooped on Marks earlier than the FAW.Mk.8. You'd need a bit more than the pen-nib down the back, too, as the engine nozzles were very different on the last couple of Marks.

Which is why I said rear fuselage/exhaust, you're right there is more to than just the exhausts, the rear fuselage shape changed between the FAW.1-6/T.3 and the FAW.7 and again for the FAW.8/9 - I think the Airfix 1/72nd kit being modified from the original Heller T.3 fudges the issue a bit but it's easier to backdate. Until we see the 1/4bth kit in the flesh I can't really say how easy it would be on that kit but I'd suspect a substantial bit of resin would be required to make the change.

I deliberately didn't mention the droop to the wing leading edge because SLoB wanted to keep it simple, removing the row of vortex generators would serve that purpose but you are again correct, it was a feature of the FAW.8/9 - I wonder how prominent it is?

What this points out is though there's a chance for the enterprising producer of resin products to provide rear ends for the FAW.1-6 and the FAW.7, outer wing panels for the FAW.1-7 and the short nose for the FAW.2/6/8 - that would open up a whole range of options wouldn't it?

Can't wait for this kit to be released to see what the possibilities are!

Wez

What this points out is though there's a chance for the enterprising producer of resin products to provide rear ends for the FAW.1-6 and the FAW.7, outer wing panels for the FAW.1-7 and the short nose for the FAW.2/6/8 - that would open up a whole range of options wouldn't it?

Well, I can name at least one modeller who'd bite the hand off the man who'd sell him a FAW.Mk.4 conversion ... and he has lots and lots of 3 Sqn decals still to sell, so if a load of other people wanted that too, he'd be even happier!

I've been trawling through my (albeit limited) Javelin resouces (Warpaint 17 & Postwar Military Aircraft:1) looking at as many photo's to see how droopy, the droop really is, and I have to say its hardly noticeable- in fact I can't actually see it! Certainly not in th epic's in the two books I have!

The text in the latter book says this on the FAW.7 conversions to FAW.9/9R ....."each mainplane was modified to have the slightly drooped leading edge as fitted to the Javelin 8"

Until we see how Airfix have tackled this, we won't know how easy or not, it will be to back date to an earlier mark, but I'm not assuming this will be a deal-breaker....in fact bring it on I say!! FAW.7 first for me.......

EDIT: I've just been googling around and *THINK* I can see how this droop worked. I was looking UNDER the wing, for a camber, a bit like a Hunter FGA9 maybe, BUT, the droop itself seems to be on the upper wing only - if that makes sense! The centre line of a Pitot 'Boom" on an FAW9 seems to be on the upper wing itself, whereas the tube on the earlier mark seems to be dead centre. In which case - a strip of plastic card and filler could be all thats required......

I'll carry on digging.....

Edited by Bill Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had theirs delivered from Hattons yet?

Nope - their website still shows accepting pre-orders.. Hopefully they will advise us soon?

I must admit, I seemed to get the Harrier a little later than most other stockists. I still think they'll come through with the goods soon enough..

Cheers. Dave