Su-22M4 Fitter 1/48 finished ---- KH-25ML missiles

exdraken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

some small heat related delayed updates:

had to change the position of the aerial fairing on top of the fuselage... me or instructions??

IMG_3829_1_zps7cbd4fcf.jpg

flaps provisionally installed, more or less satisfied with their outcome ;)

IMG_3838_1_zps57563e41.jpg

cockpit closed for exterior painting

I am quite satisfied with the small change of the droop angle of the front windscreen!

chaff and flare dispensers mounted, hopefullly correctly (hardly and designated location on the fuselage visible....)

IMG_3836_1_zpsffdfeacb.jpg

more to follow soon!

had to change the position of the aerial fairing on top of the fuselage... me or instructions??

This give me issues as well, logic would suggest that it goes the other way around and the instructions arn't to clear on this or a couple of other things!! Just wait to you have to assemble the main landing gear a fit doors!!!! :banghead::rant:

chaff and flare dispensers mounted, hopefullly correctly (hardly and designated location on the fuselage visible....)

another item that raised concerns for me, just checked ref photos/drawings I have, looks spot on! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it finished, am actually a bit sad watching this but, sort of missing all the fun I had with mine! :banghead:

May just have to build me self a 17M4 to go with the M3!!! :D

How did you make that metallic part close to the guns?

is is made of self adhesive aluminum tape. cut directly on the model along the appropriate panel lines. Rivets are done with a riveting tool. (not too accurate by the way...)

• 2 weeks later...

while paint is drying, camouflage is beeing masked of, etc I also found some time for doing landing gears, weapons......

I could not resist is also using some additional PE parts from PART.

Namely their exterior set for the Su-22M4 which provides some very nice improvements (necessities actually!!!) for the KKR recce pod, wheels, front wheelbay doors, etc.

IMG_3956_1_zps4e8fc0b6.jpg

IMG_3965_1_zpsba8cda18.jpg

IMG_3968_1_zps5c3ca4e1.jpg

weapons : North Star KH-29T, Aerobonus KH-25, Eduard R-60s

IMG_3953_1_zps16e54159.jpg

Feedback appreciated! ;)

Edited by exdraken

while paint is drying, camouflage is beeing masked of, etc I also found some time for doing landing gears, weapons......

I could not resist is also using some additional PE parts from PART.

Namely their exterior set for the Su-22M4 which provides some very nice improvements (necessities actually!!!) for the KKR recce pod, wheels, front wheelbay doors, etc.

weapons : KH-29T, KH-25, R-60s

Feedback appreciated! ;)

Only one kind of guided missiles could be used as I remember.
  • Like 1

thanks for the additional info Arcady!

the missiles are so nice I simply had to do them! Not going to put on all the external stores at once!

KKR pod. external tanks, KH-29, Kh-25.... simply not enough pylons available sadly... ;)

Man...

I am "in love" for this bird... first of all because I've seen many built Su-22 by Arkady... but now, after I've seem yours... I have to practice a lot before I touch in mine! After I've seen many Arkady's Su-22 I've convinced myself: "I need one" and I've bought one Eduard one ebay (and i've paid with "my eyes"), but after I've seen your thread I've concluded: "I need to grow up before try it" (or as we say in Brazil: "I need drink a lot of milk")
So I've decided put mine back in the stash and screw up with another model before any attempt...
This is a awesome aircraft... and awesome thread!!!

Few tips (or 'pleas', if you prefer)...

Please, do not hang all of this stuff, not even a mix of it, on the plane 'at once'.

On Iraqi Su-22s, it was either 'KKR + SPS-141MVG + drop tanks', or 'Kh-28 + Myetel + drop tanks', or 'Kh-29 + SPS-141MVG + drop tanks' or 'Kh-25 + drop tanks' (over Kuwait in August 1990 only), or 'different loads of bombs, but usually 4-6 FAB-500M62s + drop tanks' - but never a mix including two different types of weapons (not even a mix of two different calibres of bombs).

If you add the SPS-141MVG (usually on the left inboard underwing pylon), don't add the Myetel pod: they were jamming each other. And take care to remove all the antennas pointing in rear directions (as delivered to Iraq, the SPS-141MVG was operating 'in front aspect only').

Instead, add a UV-16-57 as 'counterweight' on the other side of the plane (that was indeed necessary).

Re. gun-pods... sorry, but a strict 'no-no' on Iraqi Su-22s.

(And thanks in advance for at least considering anything of this...)

Edited by Tom Cooper

don't do that :P

just build it! :thumbsup2:

I like your Mustang egg plane - very nice paint work!

a lot more fun doing one yourself than only watching others battling!

please post your progress if you decide to start!

Thanks Tom Cooper for your qualified and valuable input!

I can really understand your caution with regards to operational load outs! and appreciate it! :)

(sadly - as there are hardly any decals) this is supposed to be in Polish colors. As it looks at the moment at least with a with a "possible" camouflage pattern.

as stated above, the weapons are really nice and I wanted to build them for that reason.

my plan is to put from left to right

external tank PTB-800 -R-60 - maybe SPS-141 jammer - on 1R and 2R the KH-29s - than an empty B-8M as counter weight - R-60 - PTB-800

the KH-25 will be for display only (or can I put them as well on the canted fuselage pylons?)

the KKR-1 pod should go well with this load out, apart from the guided KH-29s of course. maybe I will do a photo session in this outfit... but don't panic, I will not put up everything at once!!!

I have no Myetel to put on... maybe I will scratch one for a future SEAD bird ;)

Edited by exdraken

Hi,

In this thread you can find almost all external stores variants for Su-17/22M4. Pages from original military technical instruction devoted this aircraft. Everything in polish language, but is easy understandable due to use original russian designations.

http://il2forum.pl/index.php/topic,10787.210.html?PHPSESSID=64753b77ed946847f4e731d266f45844

One more note: you can't suspend under M4 H-28 anti-radar missile and Myetel pod. These were used only with older Fitter variants up to M3. Iraqi Su-22M and Su-22M3 used them but not the M4.

Regards.

• Like 1

Hey there, exdraken, mate! :thumbsup:

Terrific job ya're doin' here. Say whut brand are the resin sweep wings, flaps 'n' slats...?

Thanks a lot; keep up with the good work, bloke! :analintruder:

Cheers

Unc²

Thanks for compliments ;)

they seem to be sold now from the new webpage:

http://www.newtmd.com/SU-22-Slats-and-Flaps

had a conversation with thes guy behind tigermodels, Joe Bakanivic on hyperscale some time ago, he seems really concerned about people's opinion on his product! Great guy!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1367670773/Su-22M4+1-48+in+the+making

have a go on them! definitely the best at the market at the moment!

cheers, Werner

hope to be able to show some paintwork later.... after processing some pictures!

finally some major paint work to report! :)

over the past several wheels I aülied the camouflage colours.

bottom: silver/metal section on the rear fuselage, main green on top, some dark green areas, some brown and black areas, especially around the gun exhaust and the front cockpit

the exhaust area consists of 2 rings of different metal paints.

pylons and chaff dispensers in metal/silver /grey

bottom: some shade of blue:

IMG_3856_1_zpse45b5445.jpg

and some pre shading

IMG_3862_1_zps690cae0c.jpg

and with provisional mounted belly pylons for the big missiles 1R and 2R:

IMG_3869_1_zps71ad4d0d.jpg

top:main camouflage green:

IMG_3890_1_zpsac3e245e.jpg

IMG_3912_1_zps032c9a3a.jpg

second green, brown and black colours:

IMG_4004_1_zpse9fcd52c.jpg

open cockpit:

IMG_4006_1_zps1af06926.jpg

IMG_4011_1_zpsbac29259.jpg

IMG_4018_1_zpsaf96abee.jpg

IMG_4023_2_zps00fbe9ed.jpg

some painted warning stripes:

IMG_4229_1_zpsc0073498.jpg

IMG_4234_1_zps2530e74f.jpg

IMG_4237_1_zps7780cc9c.jpg

sorry for the amount of photos,

now decal work will follow!

thanks for looking and all the kind feedback this build recieved!

Cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

stencils on...

just stumbled on a new? polish decal maker with great subjects! :partytime:

Hopefully they produce something for my Su-22 soon! ;):please:

http://www.ebay.pl/sch/modelmakerdecals/m.html?item=111190055161&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

IMG_7109_1_zpsa9bb1a73.jpg

IMG_7113_1_zps330ba847.jpg

IMG_7115_1_zps6b57c54f.jpg

regards,

Edited by exdraken