Exterminate!

As light relief from the Apollo build I had this to keep me going. It's a Comet Miniatures TV Dalek that I bought from a fellow BM'er as an unfinished project. Parts of it had suffered in its history and needed some tlc or replacing, and it had a layer of bullet-proof NATO grey paint on it that nothing would remove.

The original Daleks were silver with blue balls, which possibly explains their bad temper. My favourite colour scheme is from around the Death to the Daleks era, when Jon Pertwee was fighting the blighters. Is anyone else here old enough to remember the Katy Manning/Dalek photoshoot in a certain magazine targeted at gentlemens' entertainment? So silver with black balls is how I wanted it. It's not truly representative of a BBC prop of that era though, as there aren't enough bits falling off it.

It was great fun and I would do another one in a contrasting colour to keep it company on the shelf if I could find one. Hope you enjoy it.

IMG_3276_zpsf6e81813.jpg

IMG_3277_zpsc4dde5b5.jpg

IMG_3278_zpsaaa6e8b7.jpg

IMG_3280_zps589ddbef.jpg

You might not remember this episode. The Daleks meet The Goodies and square up to Kitten Kong. Actually she's nearly 17 now which is old enough to know better. I had to stop there as my mini studio suddenly became a cat bed.

IMG_3281_zps7e5f6b4e.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Paul

• Like 5

Well, you learn something everyday.

Nice build, cute cat, no wonder the Daleks were cranky, and well, I had no ide that Ms. Manning had done such a photo shoot. Something that had to be researched. Purely in the name of um..science...yeah.

Very nice Paul, I have two on the go at the moment along with a Tom Baker to the same scale. The Katy Manning photoshoot was widely reported and easily checked on line. Very much tongue in cheek but nice.

Comet Miniatures supplied both the tv Dalek and Movie Dalek to me as a discounted set. They had no boxes! As I am a builder and not a collector I was pleased to save a few quid for something I would recycle anyway.

Brilliant build there, knocks spots off my one.

How did you paint up the eye? I spent ages with hole-punched templates, masking tape, and still couldn't get a good circle!

The TV daleks are almost impossible to find now, unfortunately, but you can still get hold of the movie daleks (effectively the same kit, but with different base and dome lights). I got one from this company, they seem to have a ready supply of them:

http://new.startrader.co.uk/acatalog/Star_Trader_Construction_Kits_221.html

Haven't tried this, but I believe that if you merge this with the Emperor Dalek kit Comet still sells then you get enough parts to make another TV dalek.

Brilliant build there, knocks spots off my one.

How did you paint up the eye? I spent ages with hole-punched templates, masking tape, and still couldn't get a good circle!

The TV daleks are almost impossible to find now, unfortunately, but you can still get hold of the movie daleks (effectively the same kit, but with different base and dome lights). I got one from this company, they seem to have a ready supply of them:

http://new.startrader.co.uk/acatalog/Star_Trader_Construction_Kits_221.html

Haven't tried this, but I believe that if you merge this with the Emperor Dalek kit Comet still sells then you get enough parts to make another TV dalek.

Thanks! The eye was done with a leather punch and a sheet of stiffish paper, and was just trial and error until I achieved two concentric circles that sort of lined up. The rest of it was Tamiya semi-gloss black and Alclad aluminium. Replacing the kit gun parts with brass rod made a big difference as well.

Thanks for the heads-up on the movie daleks, I must try one of those. I remember being a bit confused when the mountains of Bedfordshire were the site for their mine, but Bernard Cribbins saving the world has to be worth celebrating.

i built one of these about six years ago now, i built mine as the red movie dalek from the first peter cushing film. only after it was finished did i notice when the film was shown again on the telly that "my" dalek had a row of balls misaligned on the back! of course the thing is if you replicate that film mistake on a kit it would make you look like a careless modeller! :D

Where's my sofa?!?!?! :door:

There's no more room, I'm already back here!

These things have been scaring us for so long now, that when I was photographing one of the full-size radio-control ones at SmallSpace last year and it turned towards me, my first instinct was to run away and hide. I mean, get a grip, man.

Ironically, the chap who had built it told me that the only place where he had room to store it at home was... behind the sofa.

Now if a Dalek's hiding back there I dread to think what's on the TV.

• Like 1