Help with airbrush in trouble!

periklis_sale

I sometimes get this with my Iwata. On mine there's a small cylindrical plunger beneath the trigger that moves against a spring inside the air valve. As you release the trigger, the spring pushes up on this plunger, cutting off the air. Putting a tiny blob of vasline on the plunger helps. Maybe yours works in a similar manner?

My H&S does the same thing.

I take the trigger off and put a little bit of oil on the bit that goes up and down and repeatedly press it until the oil has worked through and it's loosened itself.

I use bike oil rather than any special airbrush oil and I haven't copped an unfortunate one yet.

A good tip I got from an airbrush enthusiast who does T-shirts is to smear some chapstick (any flavour) around the threads on the nozzle, I had leaks on my Iwata HP-B and it solved it without costing too much.

Is this something that happens all the time or just when you use certain paints or thinners? My Iwata does it when I use cellulose thinners with Gunze paint. The rubber seal expands as a result of the reaction. If I remember correctly, H&S do replacement PTFE seals for their brushes which don't react. Might be worth looking into.

Is this something that happens all the time or just when you use certain paints or thinners? My Iwata does it when I use cellulose thinners with Gunze paint. The rubber seal expands as a result of the reaction. If I remember correctly, H&S do replacement PTFE seals for their brushes which don't react. Might be worth looking into.

That's an odd one Tim, I thought the Iwata had seals that don't react to Cellulose? I use it in my CR quite a bit with no ill affects.

As for the trigger, I find using a light machine oil is better than thicker stuff. Iwata do a SuperLube but this dries after a while and gunges things up a bit restricting the trigger movement.

Rick.

That's an odd one Tim, I thought the Iwata had seals that don't react to Cellulose? I use it in my CR quite a bit with no ill affects.

As for the trigger, I find using a light machine oil is better than thicker stuff. Iwata do a SuperLube but this dries after a while and gunges things up a bit restricting the trigger movement.

Rick.

I think the superlube stuff should be wiped off with a tissue straight after you apply it, works on the needle best, as Rick says it gunges up if left in it's liquid state, even though it says apply to trigger etc

• Like 1

I think the superlube stuff should be wiped off with a tissue straight after you apply it, works on the needle best, as Rick says it gunges up if left in it's liquid state, even though it says apply to trigger etc

It's great, as you say Colin, on the needle etc but there's certainly better stuff for the trigger.

I know that the cheap brushes off ebay etc do have trouble with any lube of any type around the "O" rings, they swell up. Don't ask how I know!

Rick.