SEVANS DAVROS 1/5th Vac-Form rebuild

From a popular auction site came an assembled Sevans Dalek. Knowing they cost a fortune if lucky enough to find an example intact I bid for this immediately and it was posted to me darned quick.

It was a very sad example of the model assemblers art. Important bits were missing and a lot was broken, good job not a lot of money was spent however the time taken to get it all back together was going to be long.

The kit was originally a Davros from the Peter Davison era (you know..the one with Dirty Den) and I really wanted a Genesis version, so the DVD came out and I started sketching the bits I needed to amend or scratchbuild.

First job was to strip the enamel paint from the plastic. My weapon of choice is good old Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner. I sprayed the entire kit with the cleaner, marigolds and fresh air essential here, placed the lot in a carrier bag and waited a couple of hours. The spray was rinsed thoroughly and an old toothbrush scrubbed most of the paint off, more than one attempt was made.

2f64e399-7829-45a1-a526-f6a4446c52f3_zps

The next job was to remove the side skirts due to a fillet being used by the original modeller. This was not going to be easy, some glue was loosened by the paint removal, some type of welding glue was used on most of it and OMG araldite. Brute force and a razor saw got the rest off. I knew that additional plastic card would have to be used to rebuild the base, too much was hacked off during the removal.

a02fdc73-04bf-42aa-bc65-b9ffa97855ec_zps

528260eb-0825-4f5e-95b3-419a18f1b843_zps

The 5th scale Davros was a lot easier to clean up, the body halves literally fell apart and the resin hands and head were easy to scrub clean with loads of water and the toothbrush. The head antennae were missing, I would have to scratchbuild using soldering wire and dressmaking beads.

9f2c199a-edc3-4fa5-bc45-c63051b13e3d_zps

Thats about it for now, this will be an occasional post as I am also doing other Daleks and Dr Who figures.

More work done.

21155d6a-a375-43b5-9b0f-89ec77f242f3_zps

I now had a box of bits so that I could start the kit again, washing down, sanding, repairing torn corners and bent bits, all of my own damage on stripping the thing down.

4fe423dd-2eda-4f54-883f-283309947552_zps

Mr Davros was pretty fragile, first job was in sanding the cut halves against a sheet of fine wet and dry paper sellotaped to my desk top.

b8df6a51-2628-489c-bc0c-2b52cf373f2f_zps

Davros was then glued together and I started work on the broken hand a resin head. I drilled out the detail in the head support and will probably drill fine holes to support the new head wiring.

c7c25fa8-98f2-47f7-bb4d-df7687ef4e0e_zps

All of the skirts needed rescuing, all will be backed with plastic card and any gaps filled.

7b2d7283-3490-4a4d-b083-af5035152068_zps

After using my new Tamiya razor saw to take off the vac formed skirt supports: I used black plasticard to fabricate the new Davros base, this will be scribed to make fitting the adjusted skirt panels.

Thats about it for now.

Great work so far, I built one when they came out and have another in the stash. They really were lovely kits and were my first forays into vacform at the time. Nice to see another one coming together. :)

• Like 1