Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (Dragon 1/72nd)

At last I've finished my ASTP build. It was relatively straightforward (with a couple of exceptions) but there are a lot of very tiny parts so it's not recommended for novice modellers.

I did make a couple of changes. The Soyuz and the Docking Module fit together by means of two non-scale cylinders, one fitting inside the other. However the one on the DM is too long, with the result that there's a noticeable gap between the two when they're linked. On the real thing this would have prevented an airtight seal and stopped any transfer between the spacecraft, which was the whole point of the mission. I cut down the inner cylinder and the two craft are now (almost) hard up against each other. However the connection was quite loose and the Soyuz (being moulded from almost solid vinyl) could have dropped out at any moment. I therefore drilled holes in the cylinders which allowed me to insert a 3mm copper tube as a 'spine'. (The model shop didn't have any brass rod!) This passes from the midpoint of the Soyuz all the way through to the base of the Command Module and makes sure everything is locked solidly together,

The other change was to extend the base of the stand, as it's far too small to support the docked spacecraft. As I said the Soyuz is moulded from solid vinyl and is relatively heavy for its size. A large piece of sheet plastic fixed to the stand has solved that one but even now the thing has a tendency to 'bow' towards the Soyuz end. The sheet plastic is thick enough to prevent bending but if I'd used anything thinner it wouldn't have worked. I also discarded the screw which is supposed to attach the model to the stand as I couldn't get it tight enough (it doesn't have a slot for a screwdriver and has to be turned with the fingers) and used a 1 1/2" screw instead!

So to the pictures!

PIC_0206_zps8518a3dc.jpg

Overall shot of the linked spacecraft. You can see where I've extended the base of the stand.

PIC_0207_zpsf30c35f1.jpg

Close-up of the Soyuz. Dragon have supplied some lovely reflective metallic stickers to represent

the solar panels.

PIC_0208_zpsf72334c2.jpg

The Apollo CSM. Those tiny stencil decals just about drove me up the wall!

PIC_0210_zps18cdb02e.jpg

The 'androgynous' docking mechanism developed especially for this mission. Today the International

Space station uses a development of this, with four 'petals' instead of three.

PIC_0211_zpsb96a409c.jpg

The rear of the Soyuz. No, the engines aren't missing - the three little holes in the centre are the main

and backup propulsion systems.

PIC_0213_zps1105dc47.jpg

Docked spacecraft from the other side. The part hanging beneath the Soyuz is a cable trunk and it's

supposed to be like that!

PIC_0214_zpsc7c1c917.jpg

Another shot of the Soyuz from the rear.

PIC_0215_zpsbc60b10a.jpg

Underside of the Soyuz showing the entry hatch in the Orbital Module.

• Like 2

I gave them a coat of Humbrol primer and then acrylic paint on top and it seemed to adhere all right. I haven't gone to the length of scratching it with my fingernail to see what happens though!

Looking good and I note the comments on the docking fit and stand with interest as I have the same kit in my stach to do. Actually I have both this and Apollo 11 & 17 to do, I really like the feel of these Dragon kits.

I was also interested in the paint question regarding the vinyl Souyz parts. I recently had some difficulties with the vinyl cartridge belt in Dragons 1/6 MG42 gun, when it eventually dried it didn't adhere well at all, but I will try acrylics instead on the Souyz.