Hardened Aircraft Shelters

Filler

I was contemplating making one as a project, although it might force me to pop down to 1:72 from my customary 1:48 building. I’d probably try and build either a British version of 70’s/80’s vintage that could be either RAF or USAFE (if there was any difference) or I’d happily have a go at any German sited NATO version of the same period.

So is there anyone here who knows much about the world of HAS and could help me with references or any type of information that could help me model one? Plans would be best of course but I suspect that they aren’t easily available as they might be in some way covered by the official secrets act.

So even just a pointer to some half decent photos or any kind of advice about the subject generally would be great. They did only accommodate one fighter each didn’t they?

Also, am I correct in understanding that there is a difference between a HAS and a QRA shed?

I wouldnt know where to start describing a HAS in sufficient detail to allow someone to build one.

When I worked on Tonkas, you can fit two of them in a HAS with careful manouevering.

Two Tornados in one HAS. Wow, having never seen one other than from very far away or in pictures I have clearly underestimated the size of the things. In 1:48 it'd clearly be huge!!

With some dimensions they do look like they wouldn't be overly difficult to model unless there is a lot more going on inside than I imagined. I figured they were basically a large concrete arch with some thick sliding doors at one end and some ventilation.

I did just stumble across a Revell 1:72 kit that was a German Typhoon and a shelter. Didn't look much like the ones I've found pictures of at bases like Upper Heyford and Bentwaters though.

Not saying its not a very tight fit. They obviously go in one in front of the other, and is a delicate operation, but it can be done.

We didnt do it often, unless we had two long term dead jets, which could still be movedf via tractor or winch, and were borrowing another for flying, which needed the other HAS.

Yeah the Typhoon Diorama one didnt resemble the ones we used either. I was quite after one in 1/72 myself, but they dont seem to exist.

Thats different to the ones we operated out of, which were this type:

HAS_zps4a37e503.jpg

Indeed, the Amera offering is the RAF Germany style of shelter.

320px-HAS_Bruggen.jpg

Edited by Rob P

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit more Googling and I found this forum thread. Plenty of info in there and on page 6 that I linked to, there is a picture of the first generation HAS as Amera will be releasing in 1:72 and alongside it a 3rd generation HAS.

Seems that the 1st gen shelters were maybe exclusive to Germany/Europe and that British bases almost exclusively featured 3rd gen shelters. The 3rds look larger and to the untrained eye less substantial.

Going off some dimensions on that website, if I was going to attempt a 1:48 1st gen I'd have a structure about 67cm long and at least 40cm wide. Shame but might have to give that a miss. A 1:72 would be nice but I have an inexplicable aversion to mixing scales. I do sometimes wonder if I chose the right one.

Another possibility could be to model just the front end of a 3rd gen shelter. There are some pics on the Bentwaters museum website of one they used as an aggressor HAS (I think), it has a Russian Bear painted on the front. Pinched this picture below from the museum website. Apologies if it is unethical to do that.

bw046a.jpg

it would be awesome if someone released a HAS or even Half HAS for dioramas!!

Not sure if you saw it but earlier in the thread there is a link to a forthcoming 1st Gen HAS from Amera in 1:72. And in 2005 Revell did one in also in 1:72 in a kit that came complete with a Typhoon and some ground equipment. Probably rare as rocking horse...

I have had my eye on this book for a while, having spent a significant part of my formative years operating on a HAS site-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1873592817/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

That looks an excellent book. Definitely on my wishlist now.

I really kind of miss the cold war.

Also, am I correct in understanding that there is a difference between a HAS and a QRA shed?

You are correct, totally different things - a QRA shed is a shed for aircraft on QRA intended to protect against the weather, not the "bad guys'" munitions. A quick Google brings up this among others (plus adverts for garden sheds): http://www.airshowspresent.com/raf-binbrook-qra-shed.html

you could try some of the shops that specalise in unbuilt second hand kits for the revell 1/72 kit that comes with the typhoon and ground equipment...its definatly worth searching out.although i dont have it myself i did see it in my local model shop a while ago and it looks awesome....sorry now that i didnt get it when theyhad it

IV(AC)Plumb, that's terrific. You seem to have all the plastistruct perfectly sized, positioned and angled. What did you use for the doors? Interested as to having the thickness and keeping the smooth rounded shape.

I've got quite a few pics of the HASs at Bentwaters if they might help? The Bear HAS used to be ours for aircraft storage at the museum... Bloody cold in winter believe me!,,

Hi Chris,

If you have some photo's from Bentwaters that you'd be willing to share it'd greatly appreciated!

You are correct, totally different things - a QRA shed is a shed for aircraft on QRA intended to protect against the weather, not the "bad guys'" munitions. A quick Google brings up this among others (plus adverts for garden sheds): http://www.airshowspresent.com/raf-binbrook-qra-shed.html

Thanks Mike, I'll read up on that at lunch time.

you could try some of the shops that specalise in unbuilt second hand kits for the revell 1/72 kit that comes with the typhoon and ground equipment...its definatly worth searching out.although i dont have it myself i did see it in my local model shop a while ago and it looks awesome....sorry now that i didnt get it when theyhad it

My plan is for a 1/48 3rd Gen build but I'll keep an eye out for one of those. Could be useful reference if I was to do a Gen one at some point.

There are some good views of IX Squadron GR1's and their HAS's in this video.

It was shot at Honington in the mid '80s over a few days. The groundcrew were asked to make sure they looked the same each day for continuity so needless to say moustaches vanished overnight mid shoot and light and dark blue shirts appeared on alternate days!

• Like 2

If its QRA sheds you want then look up pics from The lightning Preservation Group at Buntingthorpe.

They rebuilt the sheds from Watisham there, I think they are the only ones left from that era.

http://www.lightnings.org.uk/Grand-Q-Shed-Opening.aspx

Well worth a visit. They were very welcoming when I went up with a group.

Julien

With regards to HAS's in UK and Germany. The first generation HAS's in use on RAFG airfields (Laarbruch, Bruggen, Wildenrath and Gutersloh) would I believe hold 2 Jags or 2 folded up Buccs but only 1 Tornado. These shelters were also used on QRA which for the Laarbruch and Bruggen boys was a totally different kettle of fish to the more usual QRA!! They were then modded in the mid 80's with a ground equipment annex on the side( except for the Q HAS's). Each of the 3rd generation HAS's used by the RAF in UK and RAFG would easily take 2 Tornados ( wasn't even that much of a squeeze) and had the ground equipment/bowser annex on the side. The idea being that the bowser could refuel the jet using the under floor plumbing ( never saw it used in my 6 years at Marham and Laarbruch). Hope this helps!

If you're looking for pictures of the early style of HAS I'll load up some pictures of them that I took at the derelict XV Squadron site at RAF Laarbruch, now Niederrhein airport in March of last year.

I'll get them uploaded this evening

XVtonker :pilot:

With regards to HAS's in UK and Germany. The first generation HAS's in use on RAFG airfields (Laarbruch, Bruggen, Wildenrath and Gutersloh) would I believe hold 2 Jags or 2 folded up Buccs but only 1 Tornado. These shelters were also used on QRA which for the Laarbruch and Bruggen boys was a totally different kettle of fish to the more usual QRA!! They were then modded in the mid 80's with a ground equipment annex on the side( except for the Q HAS's). Each of the 3rd generation HAS's used by the RAF in UK and RAFG would easily take 2 Tornados ( wasn't even that much of a squeeze) and had the ground equipment/bowser annex on the side. The idea being that the bowser could refuel the jet using the under floor plumbing ( never saw it used in my 6 years at Marham and Laarbruch). Hope this helps!

We could get 3 harrier GR3's in the ones at Gutersloh!

Selwyn

As promised here's a link to my album showing various shots of the first generation HAS's on the old XV Squadron site at RAF Laarbruch.

http://s697.beta.photobucket.com/user/xvtonker/library/BRITMODELLER

The buidings on the side of the HAS in some of the shots were for the fuel bowsers and ground equipment. We used to put the power sets in them with the power cables being routed through ports in the HAS wall.

We also had one second generation HAS on the site, bloody luxury if you were the HAS boss......

XVTonker :pilot: