A9 or Amerika rocket by special hobby in 1/72

Hi,last day of holiday,as promised in the other post of this model,heres the finished article,not the best,but i love it, ,the,camo is growing on me,not literally though?,though if asked to repeat it ,i couldnt,as it was as much by accident as design,being mainly overspray from my design,but it looks ok to me,Also the colour was just a mix of three randomly.Next what is it?....read on

THIS IS MY INTERPERATION .as there is a lot of conflicting info flying about over this design?its planned purpose etc...

Due to the sucess of the A4.V2 rocket,and it was a sucess,just not in the way it was required but thats a different story and model?As the nazis were being pushed back in europe,the options for launching the A4,were rapidly diminishing,as it was at the limit of its range in its present form and size,it was just about reaching its target,from holland and Belgium,just?.What was open to the engineers quickly?,as herr fuhrer had forbidden any development work towards the end,putting all his resources into the operational A4 v2,which by 1945,was unleashing an seemingly unstoppable tirade of rockets,the v1 were mainly quickly dispatched by AA batterys,and were visible to the defenders,the A4,s were silent invisible until impact,then two explosions,very scary?,and due to the large size of the targets,were pretty accurate,up until march 27/45,the germans had aimed 1400 rockets at britain from sites in holland,the figures breakdown as all but 44 aimed at LONDON,517 fell within londons cdr,537 elsewhere on land,and 61 offshore but close enough to be noticed,with the remaining 288 abortive ,etcAnd britains only defence against these was air attacks on used sites,and rocket supply lines ,which was suprisingly successful and it slowed down the onslaught,Then due to the time to set up a launch in daylight,and allied air superioty,it was decided to launch at night/early morning,to avoid aircraft,also siting the launch sites in populated areas,this had the effect of the rockets arriving on London early morning,and a more populated time,ie the last but two rockets showed,the first hitting Smithfield market early on,killing and injuring 233 people on march 8,the penultimate one on march 27 hit a block of flats at stepney ,as it was early most people were in,134 died,49 badly hurt,just nine and a half hours after this one ,the last V2to reach the uk,fell at orpington,kent at 4.45 pm,march27...

So back to the A9,The germans pushed back to germany A4,s didnt have the range,so a new design was started theA4b,as all new work was banned,von braun and crew got away with it by naming it the A4b,as A4 work was seen as vital.so add some raked back wings,hey presto,the A4 could could climb higher and glide longer to its target,thus making britain still a target,fortunatly the war was nearing its end,and the writing was on the wall for the nazis,though they did get two launches of the A4b,the first blew up,though the second was a success,though the wings did fall apart under rapid descent,so it was decided straked wings was the answer,and wind tunnel models were made and used,thats as far as it got,as far as we know?it was believed to very successful in the wind tunnels,as the german rocket scientists had a tunnel capable of mach 10 equivalent,

So the dross written about this being designed to bomb amerika,just dross i believe,a smokescreen to justify the US harbouring war criminals,i mean whats the point of spending millions of riechmarks to deliver a one ton warhead to the us,when the germans didnt have enough fuel to fly its aircraft?

Though it did get the USto the moon,before the russians,anyway enough of history,its a nice missile,and if it had gone to production,would have been the first multistage rocket?,as there was paperwork for A9,A10,A11,and A12,which would of been similar to a Saturn V,POSS?

So heres a few pics of a modern forerunner to the american space race...

039_zps28b3bf5d.jpg

053_zps99e1bd69.jpg

054_zpsaa9baad7.jpg

055_zpsca40894c.jpg

036_zpsd4908039.jpg

037_zpsb8efccb5.jpg

038_zps30712246.jpg

039_zps5ddcdcab.jpg

040_zps90b94774.jpg

041_zps95f879ee.jpg

Hope you like?.......cheers Don

Don't suppose they do one in 1:48? :(

Mike,quick go and buy a lottery ticket,you lucky s*d,just for you,pegasus do a lovely A4 IN 1/48,IM SURE A MAN OF YOUR TALENTS WOULD BE ABLE TO put some straked wings on that,failing that,im sure Estes or someone will do a flying one to convert?,anyway heres some pics to whet your appetite,a comparison for you.........

036_zps31902962.jpg

its size against the 1/72

037_zpsff635375.jpg

enjoy Don

I see... so is it the same "airframe" or missile body, but with a set of strakes glued on the sides? How did they fit in all the extra fuel needed for the journey to the good 'ole US of A? :hmmm:

Bugger... you're a bad man Don. I now have a 1:48 V2 on the way :blush:

HI ,MIKE,well one rocket ,missile is never enough,you will need armoured launchers next?well as you have now taken the Devil,s biscuit,what make is it?is it the start of things to come?,dancing naked on blackpool prom,under a full moon is next!.........cheers Don

I don't think the dancing is an option Don... luckily for the rest of humanity, but It's the Pegasus kit. Should be a quick slap together and then some practice painting and masking for me. I doubt there will be much weathering, as they tended to only go on the one mission before :boom:

I don't think the dancing is an option Don... luckily for the rest of humanity, but It's the Pegasus kit. Should be a quick slap together and then some practice painting and masking for me. I doubt there will be much weathering, as they tended to only go on the one mission before :boom:

Nice,i dont have that one,hope you do a quick look over post,before you build,ive heard its a ex version,if its anything like there V2,it will be,hope your going to paint it in something patriotic,from Ford,like this? camo is too common?cheers Don

sorry forgot photo

133_zps1173b162.jpg

don

Edited by jetboy