RAF squadron codes, question.

At Sea

Hi, question about squadron codes,

I built a MK IX Spitfire ages ago and used a spare set of decals I had lying around for George Beurling's LFIXc. However in a fit of artistic creativity I decided to add lower surface invasion stripes.

Having been researching other things I discovered that this aircraft would not have been flown by Beurling in invasion stripes as he left the UK for Canada before the 6th June 44.

So what would have happened to MH 883 VZ-B after he left?

Would it have been given to another pilot? I can find very little info about this aircraft after Beurling left yhe squadron.

According to records (from the Spitfire production website):

39MU 7-10-43 405ARF 26-10-43 ros 16-2-44 412S 30-4-44 AST 302S 19-10-44 Returning to St.Denijs Westrem airfield hit by allied AA fire force landed in a field CB 1-1-45 DeH 14-2-45 sold Turkey 16-1-47

As long as it stayed with 412 it's likely (but not definitely) to have kept the same codes. AST usually means Air Services Training, but, with no date shown, it could be where it was converted to a IXe, which is how it appears with 302 Squadron.

Once it arrived at 302, it would have carried "WX" codes; unfortunately very few ORBs recorded serials and codes together, so the chances of finding out anything definite are a bit slim.

Even though pilots had their own aircraft, it was common for it to be flown by others, especially when the "owner" was on leave; there were many cases of pilots returning, to find that "their" aircraft had been damaged, even lost.

Edgar