Airfix Gladiator artwork up on Airfix.com

John

Me too! Just been reading the Osprey Gladiator Aces volume. Amazing how many pilots achieved acedom on this mount! Very inspiring and prompted me to go for this one too as I' normally shy away from rigging!!!

The forthcoming "cheapo" option from Hobbyboss also has similar RAF markings.

Have to say I'm not impressed with the sprue shots of the Hobbyboss one. Yeah, I know it's designed down to a price but the 1970s Matchbox kit is still better! The engine in the HB kit is dreadful. Can't see it being much competition for the Airfix one, especially when Hannants are listing the HB one for nine quid!

In the catalogue the Gladiator is annouced as Gladiator 1 K7985 Shuttleworth Collection or No 1 Fighter Squadron Irish Air Force 1940.

BTW, there is the Gladiator also annouced in a Medium Starter set as 80 Squadron RAF Amriya Egypt 1940.

The Ski version will come with markings for the swedish J8A F 19 1940 or the Mk 1 263 Squadron RAF Norway 1940

modelldoc

That's not fair.. I only had plans to purchase one of these kits, however having now seen the boxart and decal options - I think i'll collect a pair of these as well.

It appears that my Airfix budget for 2013 will have soon doubled by the time all these kits are released..

Cheers.. Dave.

Now the real question is which set of markings will the F19 one wear? Will it wear standard Swedish markings, Winter War 'Volunteer' Finnish markings (F19 deployed to northern Finland as volunteer assistance for the Ilmavoimat) or the unique Skull & Crossbones markings that were briefly worn during the withdrawal from Finland at the end of the Winter War.

Personally I'm hoping for one of the latter two, which is suggested by the blurb for the kit.

Edited by Adam Maas

Does the release of the artwork (stunning again btw) mean it's out soon?

I think my first one will be the Irish option. Then the second will be a Latvian one from the Superscale sheet that came with my Encore/Heller offering.

This is a good time to be an Airfix fan!

Trevor

• Like 1

The MB one is one digit out from this one, Looks like Airfix did the tie in with Shuttleworth as its their aircraft.

Also can be seen in our walkaround section;

Gladiator-0016.JPG

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76578-gloster-gladiator/

Julien

Damn Decals! .........................................and I wanted to do K7983!

(only Joking!!!)

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

An excellent choice! K7983 was one of the reinforcement Gladiators sent to 607 Sq in France. Sadly I don't know the individual code.....

Previous service 56, 65 (very briefly) and 25 Sq. Later with 8 OTU, 1413 Flight, went to Middle East 1942 and eventually handed over to the R Iraqi AF in 1943. Taxpayers got their money's worth from that one, by the standards of the time.

You will be aware that while some of Wonderland's speculations on availability dates have in the past proven reasonably accurate, others have proven to be wildly inaccurate.

Those dates may or may not be Airfix's current estimates; they may even be targets; but that does not mean they will happen.

• 2 months later...

Aw,...its not as good as I was expecting it to be,.......IT`S BETTER!!

I`ll be buying quite a few of these when they are released,.....I just hope that the RAF Norwegian Campaign decal option isn`t wearing those spurious Sea Gladiator colours, which were actually only worn by one borrowed Sea Gladiator that was used by the unit! Dark Earth and Dark Green with Black and White undersides should do it.

Cheers

Tony O

Wonder who will bring out a decal sheet for it as there are lots of alternatives. I may have to get one of the newer issues of the old kit for the 72 Sqd markings for this new kit as I really like the colours and it flew from Church Fenton which is nearly local.

Finally can stop scouring evil bay for the Heller kit!

Nick