BOEING 777-300 1/144 by Eastern Express in Transaero livery

Jon_Airbus

I wish someone made a decent set of GE90-115s. I've been working on a 77W conversion for quite some time now and I am fed up with the Contrails engines. They are simply useless. From the pctures I've seen the Welsh ones aren't perfect either. I would love to see some closeups though.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish someone made a decent set of GE90-115s. I've been working on a 77W conversion for quite some time now and I am fed up with the Contrails engines. They are simply useless. From the pctures I've seen the Welsh ones aren't perfect either. I would love to see some closeups though.

what about this? http://www.ebay.it/itm/BOEING-1-144-Scale-GE-90-115B-Engines-/321053272176?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ac0442870#ht_872wt_1037

What's so bad about the Contrails engines? I've used a set and have another in the stash to do a second -300ER and thought they were fine.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Hi Tom,

Well, the way I see it: everything... The one MadRicky posted looks better, however I have the older (newer?) version, where the fan blades and the intakes are molded together with the nacelles. On these the nacelle's cross section is oval all the way, which is incorrect. The angle of the intake is also wrong. The pylons should be handed, but they aren't, insted in my kit there were two totally different pilons. Thankfully they were oversized in every aspect, making reshaping easier. the pylons make the engines sit too low OOB. I tried to improve the angle of the intakes by sanding, but now I have too thick intake rims. The engines look acceptable now, but aren't very accurate. I'm still not sure whether to buy the Welsh engines or not. If anyone had the Welsh kit and posted some closeups it would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if you've got a bad batch?

I bought mine a few years back and they were pretty good as far as short run resin aftermarket parts go. Not CMK/Airies quality but they certainly looked like what they were supposed to and went on to the Minicraft kit fine.

If my memory serves me correctly the fans and intake were separate to the nacelle so it sounds like I have a different version to you.

Perhaps the moulds need renewing.

That's the reason I asked as it sounds as if you have a very different purchase than I had.

I can't comment on the Welsh set as I don't have them, but it sounds as if they'll be better than what you currently have!

Tom

Hello,

as promised I've taken some photos of the Welsh Models GE-90s (from the KLM 773 kit):

12854261333_f756a90777_c.jpg
Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

12854209423_676eda9a38_c.jpg

12854243193_b1d68bda90_c.jpg

12854263053_47147f5127_c.jpg

and, just for the sake of comparison, here are some of the Contrails version:

12854209835_02f44b7962_c.jpg

12854224615_84f989404b_c.jpg

12854234235_8499af5f49_c.jpg

12854653394_93b1cdf684_c.jpg

Hope that helps, although I'm not sure the photos really show quite how lumpy the Contrails engines are.

Andrew

PS. if you want any other photos, just let me know.

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot Andrew! Great shots, just what I was looking for! I think the Welsh engines look much better. Are they still available as a separate kit?

Since you have the full 77W kit, could you take some photos of the nose part of it? Thank you in advance.

Thanks a lot Andrew! Great shots, just what I was looking for! I think the Welsh engines look much better. Are they still available as a separate kit?

Since you have the full 77W kit, could you take some photos of the nose part of it? Thank you in advance.

Hopefully these will show you what you want:

12861769833_9fb8685265_c.jpg

IMG_3415 by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

12861730275_7e7a9a54c4_c.jpg

IMG_3416 by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty sure they were available as a separate 'conversion set'. That's the one Andrew.

Ray, I have the same set from Contrails. The more I look at them, the more I hate them... :badmood:

I'd really like to finish my 77W. All she needs now is a pair of decent engines, new drag braces for the main UC legs and a paint job.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to come up with a solution for the 'GE90 problem' so I guess I'll have to cancel the 77W project. I could still convert her into a regular -300. If anyone had a spare set of PW engines form the MC kit, I would be happy to buy them.

Thanks in advance.