BOEING 777-300 1/144 by Eastern Express in Transaero livery

Jon_Airbus

MAM - You are probably talking about 777-200 that is not their best kit indeed:

http://maximf.ucoz.ru/news/boeing_777_200_a_k_klm_ot_vostochnyj_ehkspress_1_144/2011-11-19-189

777-300 is a new model

post-2606-0-35029300-1359969438.jpg

I don't know if they have improved or not but they have received their portion of negative feedback about 777-200 on Russian speaking modelling forums so I hope for better

Edited by Pin
  • Like 1

so, the way might be freed up finally to built a nice 777 :) the best livery on a 777-300 is, in my opinion the aeroflot livery,.... (*having in mind to built that one*)

• Like 1

Well, EE is based on Minicraft and they have tried to correct known accuracy issues. That's the quality of moulding that spoils everything. So it really depends on what aspect of "better" is more important for you - accuracy or mould quality

But overpriced.

That depends on your criteria. A Welsh kit is more expensive to buy, but it also takes more time to build, giving you very good value for your entertainment (insert unit of currency of choice). You can knock together a Minicraft kit in a weekend and spend quite a bit per modelling hour, or you can do a Welsh kit over the course of a couple weeks, and got a lot more entertainment out of the model and your budget. Each if us has our way of looking at the hobby, after all :)

• Like 1

Good point Jess

In anycase, if it's something you really want it's always worth it and still cheaper than a night down the pub.

In an extreme case, some folks spend two of three hundred pounds on a complex boat kit, making up the ribs on keel and planking it maybe in some cases years to finish...very good value.

That depends on your criteria. A Welsh kit is more expensive to buy, but it also takes more time to build, giving you very good value for your entertainment (insert unit of currency of choice). You can knock together a Minicraft kit in a weekend and spend quite a bit per modelling hour, or you can do a Welsh kit over the course of a couple weeks, and got a lot more entertainment out of the model and your budget. Each if us has our way of looking at the hobby, after all :)

Well why didn't I think of it that way sooner :doh: Great business plan based on the charge more for less theory.

I could, based on that theory merely supply a sheet of plain plasticard, some generic, " one size fits all" instructions and a basic thre-view drawing.

Charge £30 each and tell everyone that its a bargain due to the length of time it will take to turm it into a BAC 4-44

Chris.

Express 777-200 is not good in any way.

Fuse is made of 3 parts

engines lumpy

parts badly fit

Etc

minicraft is better!

Surely though if you've finished one, then the above is just a learning curve and helps modelling skill improve? Not a bad thing IMO....

• Like 1

.......you can do a Welsh kit over the course of a couple weeks, and got a lot more entertainment out of the model and your budget.

Good grief! I haven't built the Welsh 777 but I have done the 747SP and it took me around 12 years. OK, I admit I wasn't working on it for every minute of that time but I feel an MD-11 coming on and I'd love to know the secret of doing a big Welsh kit in a couple of weeks!!

Edited by David G

I just heard from the seller on EBay that she would send pictures of the 777-300ER. I would buy just for the fuselage if it was good. The Braz conversion was not easy and very time consuming. Anyone have other pics?

Well why didn't I think of it that way sooner :doh: Great business plan based on the charge more for less theory.

Congratulations! You've just won the award for "Completely missing the point..."! Not to mention your heavily over the top sarcasm which I didn't appreciate in the least.

This is a hobby. You get to set the value of your own time, and you get to decide your philosophy toward the offerings the manufacturers give us. If you don't wish to alter your viewpoint, then that's your choice, but perhaps you might wish to keep your mother's words in mind: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

• Like 2

Good grief! I haven't built the Welsh 777 but I have done the 747SP and it took me around 12 years. OK, I admit I wasn't working on it for every minute of that time but I feel an MD-11 coming on and I'd love to know the secret of doing a big Welsh kit in a couple of weeks!!

My 777 took me about 3 weeks; it's a very straightforward kit. On the other hand, my SP has been sitting unfinished since 1997 so there you go. I ffigure that by now it's practically free! :P

Edited by Jessica

Couldn't agree more Jess and very well said...

And regarding a later post... some are happy to be model 'constructors'... others model makers... :pilot:

Congratulations! You've just won the award for "Completely missing the point..."! Not to mention your heavily over the top sarcasm which I didn't appreciate in the least.

This is a hobby. You get to set the value of your own time, and you get to decide your philosophy toward the offerings the manufacturers give us. If you don't wish to alter your viewpoint, then that's your choice, but perhaps you might wish to keep your mother's words in mind: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

Thanks Jessica. I haven't won anything for a long time so this award will be given pride of place. (Only joking)

I didn't miss the point at all however, simply doing exactly what you have quoted above by setting values on my own time. Having built many of the kits in question, with a couple on the go at the moment and about twenty more still residing in the stash I still feel that they do not represent good vaue for money. I base this statement on experiences with said kits over the last twenty-five years of modelling not model constructing. (Thank you Tom.)

Regarding your last sentence, I'm almost certain that you haven't met my Mother to be able to quote her words.

What she did say on one occasion I do recall was, amd I quote. "You paid twenty pounds for that plastic sheet? You must be crackers"

Chris.

Easy tigers... let's not get bent out of shape over the worth or otherwise of Welsh models kits. Some thing they're good value, some don't. Having seen a few, I'm erring on the side of "overpriced for what you get". The "modelling hours" argument is at best a justification of a high price, but usually used when an expensive kit has a lot of parts to keep you busy for a long time. But as I said - different opinions, not worth getting upset about. :shrug:

BTW - Chris is a good friend of mine, and I've met his mum. I can definitely see her saying that to him :)

My 777 took me about 3 weeks; it's a very straightforward kit. On the other hand, my SP has been sitting unfinished since 1997 so there you go. I ffigure that by now it's practically free! :P

It would probably help if I could get out of the habit of having about fifteen models on the go at once :banghead: Like you say, the longer it lasts the cheaper it gets!!