Meng New Projects January 2013

Mike

We've had a sneak peek of Meng's upcoming releases from the Nuremberg show by email, and it's a treat that continues their weird, unusual and odd frame of mind, and long may that continue!

First up is a new one in the Stegosaurus range, catalogue number SS-002, which is a militarised and heavily armoured Caterpillar D9R as used by the Israelis and nicknamed the Doobie. It looks like it's going to be a fabulous kit, and has a movable dozer blade, cab interior with the choice of open or closed doors, workable tracks, PE parts, and of course the clear parts. Yes, I know you can read that in the picture, but who wants to squint? :nerd:

SS-002.jpg

Next up are two additions to the Velociraptor range, the first catalogued as VS-003, the Russian GAZ-233014 STS Tiger, a sort of Russian HUMVEE. This one has a full cab, openable doors, rotating gun-ring on the roof, and decals for camouflage of the internal cab walls - I guess we'll have to wait and see what that means, unless anyone has an idea?

VS-003.jpg

Last up is VS-004, and this is a trip back to Meng's first releases, with another type of Pickup truck. I have no idea what this one's based on, but it looks like a Russian or Chinese clone of a Land Rover, with a pickup rear, and a gigantic ZU-23-2 23mm anti-aircraft cannon strapped to the flat-bed on a bunch of girders. That'll be fun to fire when pointing sideways! :S it has a full interior, chassis and the gun can be posed either ready for action, or stowed for transport. Again, PE parts are included.

VS-004.jpg

Happy days... not a run-of-the-mill kit amongst them. The diorama builders will be very happy, as all of these kits lend themselves to inclusion in some kind of diorama. More news and photos when we have them :)

Mike.

Why are some bits in the last picture pink?

If it's in Israeli service, I imagine they're designated hand-holds and recommended lubrication points - similar to the red markings you sometimes see on their tanks.

I've actually seen footage of one of those ZU-23-2 23mm firing pointing sideways on a 4x4 - it was very nearly toppling it over!

Aye... that's what I was alluding to ;)

:mg:

Me too... and if someone releases a PE bar armour set to go with it, I think I might just have to build it! ^_^

IDF-D9-Zachi-Evenor-001.jpg

Now doesn't that look tastyNow doesn't that look tasty, imagine running into one of those inTesco's car park after you didn'y pay for your fuel?

Colin

That pick up looks like the original Toyota Land Cruiser from the eighties.

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder how almost every person in the middle east seems to have an endless supply of Ak's and these 23mm cannons? :shrug:

Neighbour disputes must be quite violent there then.

That pick up looks like the original Toyota Land Cruiser from the eighties.

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder how almost every person in the middle east seems to have an endless supply of Ak's and these 23mm cannons? :shrug:

Neighbour disputes must be quite violent there then.

It is said cruiser.. Just without the pesky licensing @r$e ache that prevents us from getting a nice model kit (Tamiya did the same with the 1:48 jeep..)..

As for the neighbour disputes.. I dunno, eh.. Would YOU mess with a neighbour who has a ZU-23?

Eclectic releases as usual, I hope they keep this up! The pickup is a Toyota Landcruser " trooper" with a ute tray from the late 80's ( not sure of the model designation ) I used to drive a similar one in a previous job. Virtually unstopable in the bush.

Thanks Mike for solving the meaning of the dinasors in the logo ! I noticed them a while ago and didnt make the connection ( as miss used to say on my school reports , I need to pay more attention )

Bob

It is said cruiser.. Just without the pesky licensing @r$e ache that prevents us from getting a nice model kit (Tamiya did the same with the 1:48 jeep..)..

As for the neighbour disputes.. I dunno, eh.. Would YOU mess with a neighbour who has a ZU-23?

You might have a point there.

That Tiger looks the biz though :coolio:

I am sure they will be nice kits but I was so looking forward to their aircraft releases this year but there appears to be a lack of any news after such an exciting start.

Robert