Great Wall Hobby MiG-29 - Finally Done!

Hi everyone - thanks very much for the comments on the MiG -I'm really pleased that you like it!!

..agreed, Spence has done a brilliant job as ever. However we are talking the most expensive 1:48th scale kit ever released.. aren't we ?

Sorry? I don't think that's true actually: I can think of plenty of 1/48 kits that are way more expensive than this one! But I have to ask - what's your point? What has the cost of the kit got to do with anything?

Spence - somewhat confused... :confused:

I hesitate to get involved in the cost debate, but I'm going to anyway. Firstly, irrespective of cost, that is a truly beautiful build Spence. I can only dream of building like that. As far as cost is concerned, I guess that it is a much more expensive option to build a Fulcrum than say the Academy version and whilst it sounds like the quality and accuracy are much better than the Academy kit (slightly off shaped nose and poor fit in places I've read) I've seen builds of the Academy kit that are on a par (to me) with your build of the GW kit. What I'm getting at is that with the high quality modelling skills of the likes of yourself Spence, the Academy can end up looking as good and leave you a few quid towards your next kit, even after buying a replacement resin nose for it.

I hesitate to get involved in the cost debate, but I'm going to anyway. Firstly, irrespective of cost, that is a truly beautiful build Spence. I can only dream of building like that. As far as cost is concerned, I guess that it is a much more expensive option to build a Fulcrum than say the Academy version and whilst it sounds like the quality and accuracy are much better than the Academy kit (slightly off shaped nose and poor fit in places I've read) I've seen builds of the Academy kit that are on a par (to me) with your build of the GW kit. What I'm getting at is that with the high quality modelling skills of the likes of yourself Spence, the Academy can end up looking as good and leave you a few quid towards your next kit, even after buying a replacement resin nose for it.

That may be so. but I can only build what's in front of me! And I will bet you that the Academy builds, were they to look as good as GWH's kit, either had a huge amount of scratchbuilt detailing, or a stack of additional parts that would easily lift the cost to way above the retail price of this kit. Think about what you would need for Academy's kit (other than skill, as it is a bear to build...) a new cockpit, undercarriage, wheels, weapons, jet pipes, photo-etched details, decals - all of which are poor in Academy's kit and excellent from the box, in GWH's. How much would that lot set you back on top of the cost of Academy's basic offering? Even a new seat and some decals will set you back almost £20, pushing the kit up to over forty quid; add the rest and you could be looking at almost £100 - the GWH kit starts then to look cheap, don't you think..?

Spence

• Like 1

Fair points that I can't argue with Spence. I knew I should have kept out of it. Was probably just looking for a crumb of hope as I have 2 Academy Fulcrums that I guess are not only poor and difficult to build but are practically worthless now this superb Great Wall kit is available.

I wonder if I were to buy 2 Trumpeter Vigilante someone would produce a decent version within the next 12 months.

What a cracker! Inspiring stuff as usual. So what's next then ?

Hey mate - Tamiya 1/20 Red Bull F1 car, Kinetic 1/48 Goshawk, Academy 1/48 F-4, Revell 1/32 UHU and Hasegawa 1/48 F-22 Raptor...

Should be fun eh?

Spence :)

..agreed, Spence has done a brilliant job as ever. However we are talking the most expensive 1:48th scale kit ever released.. aren't we ?

Price around $60 USD at Asian stores is comparable with a 20 yr hasegawa F/A-18. So I think you've missed the boat there.
  • Like 2

Price around $60 USD at Asian stores is comparable with a 20 yr hasegawa F/A-18. So I think you've missed the boat there.

the examples I was looking at were priced at a round ( and jaw-dropping) $100 US. Spence's skills obviously take the "basic" kit to another level ( I'm not stupid..) but at that cost (and investment on the part of the manufacturer) you'd not expect the "basic" kit itself to be any sort of slouch either..

Edited by FalkeEins

the examples I was looking at were priced at a round ( and jaw-dropping) $100 US. Spence's skills obviously take the "basic" kit to another level ( I'm not stupid..) but at that cost (and investment on the part of the manufacturer) you'd not expect the "basic" kit itself to be any sort of slouch either..

Academy Kit = 13 Euros

Added to it

Quickboost Nose = 5 Euros

Quickboost Sensing Unit = 4 Euros

Quickboost Pitot Tube =2,40 Euros

AIRES Cockpit Set = 13 Euros

AIRES Ex. Nozzles = 12,5 Euros

AIRES Wheel Bays = 13 Euros

AIRES Air Brake = 13 Euros

Eduard Coloured P.E. = 15.95

That still makes 91.35 Euros or 123 $ or 101$ without Eduard Col.P.E.

G.W.H is 65$ plus post fee and you don't need any Quickboost or Aires .

This kit still a winner provided you don't intend to build a whole squadron.

Madcop :beer:

Another fantastic one from the Spence stable. Cracking job, sah. B)

I got one of these direct from HK and didn't think it was that expensive. When it actually arrived and I got a good look at it, the last thing I was thinking about was the cost. How long have we waited for a really decent Fulcrum?. Well, that wait is over. This kit is stunning.

LOL, expensive is only expensive if thats what you perceive. One mans meat... etc.

Who cares anyway - For models like this, ours isnt a pocket money cheap hobby anymore- get used to it ( try golf or fishing BTW - modelling is still good VFM).

Now back to the visual feast before us.

Spence - as ever - you manage to bring a level of fidelity to your finish which belies the size of the original: Nothing is "too" overdone; but then nothing is "too" samey either.

Its a rare Top Banana!!! moment from me, with Chapeaux & Hussars thrown in ( which makes for a rather riotous, but celebratory mess)

Jonners - who likes this model a lot, and wants Spence to bang the Academy F-4B up the build list :)

• Like 2

Fair points that I can't argue with Spence. I knew I should have kept out of it. Was probably just looking for a crumb of hope as I have 2 Academy Fulcrums that I guess are not only poor and difficult to build but are practically worthless now this superb Great Wall kit is available.

I wonder if I were to buy 2 Trumpeter Vigilante someone would produce a decent version within the next 12 months.

if its any consolation Filler, I still have 2 Revell Wessex that will also be worthless come the advent of Italeri's new HAS1/3

Bruce

High praise indeed, if that's out of the box then it doesn't even bear comparison to the Academy kit.

Certainly looks worth the money, the kit detail and general appearance looks excellent, even under the superlative finishing!

Al