P-40E, `Squirlbate`, 49 FG

Hi all,just finished Hasegawas 1/48 P-40e, which I`ve done as 1st Lt, Richard Vodras `Squirlbate` used in the South West Pacific Theatre

4AsjLtc.jpg

Decals came from a Superscale sheet which depicts a P-40n as the aircraft but from what i can find out Vodras `N` was O/D N/G scheme with the chequered tail

z1dczp3.jpg

other wise it`s pretty much OOB with just seatbelts, brake pipes,

dKspy8c.jpg

fuel tank breather and antenna added

oAJeGwE.jpg

Got to do some more Hasegawa `49ers to replace my dodgy Revell ones

DybdW9u.jpg

as there a really wide variety of schemes and markings.

Uxydb7Z.jpg

thought whilst I was here I`d also show you my previous Hasegawa P-40 builds

ET0P2lQ.jpg

P-40k, done as 1st Lt, Ed Nollmeyers White 255, 51st FG

QY1kKn2.jpg

which was used in the CBI and unusually has no eyes to go with the sharkmouth

Ih2Ss1O.jpg

and finally P-40n, done as White 55, of 2nd Lt, Herbert Doughty with the 80th FG

3Chlrzu.jpg

kit was actually the Finnish M boxing but with Cutting Edge decals used

iBX9YEI.jpg

which is another CBI Warhawk

6UlL3Bv.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 7

Nice work!

what colors you used for P40E & P40K?

Cheers Sivcev !, I used Humbrol 116, 26 and 64 for the camo` , mainly to try to replicate the difference between US and British manufacturers paints. with weathering in olive drab and grey.

Nice work on all these.Excellent modelling. Can't go wrong with the 48th Hasegawa kits. I 've two built plus 72nd ones. But... wasn't Squirlbate an 'N'?? I done this one from the Aeromaster sheet to 72nd and is depicted as the long tail all clear canopy! I have serious doubts about the accuracy of some of the Superscale decals...especially the side view drawings. They can be very misleading.

Am intersted in hearing from more knowledgable people here regarding 'Squirlbate'. MAybe AeroMaster was wrong??!!

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

Nice work on all these.Excellent modelling. Can't go wrong with the 48th Hasegawa kits. I 've two built plus 72nd ones. But... wasn't Squirlbate an 'N'?? I done this one from the Aeromaster sheet to 72nd and is depicted as the long tail all clear canopy! I have serious doubts about the accuracy of some of the Superscale decals...especially the side view drawings. They can be very misleading.

Am intersted in hearing from more knowledgable people here regarding 'Squirlbate'. MAybe AeroMaster was wrong??!!

Hi Paul, I first bought the sheet with the intention of doing the `N` but whilst I was trying to find a complete camo` pattern I became aware that Vodras `N` had an olive drab with green splotches and neutral grey scheme plus the chequer tail and wheel hubs and no `squirlbate` nose art. In the book Protect and Avenge by Schiffer there is a photo of an `E` with the nose art and later an `N` with the chequers, it looks like some one imagined the two into one somewhere.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Btw I`ve got the tail markings still, so I can do the other one sometime.

• 7 months later...

Russ,

What an awesome collection of P-40's! I really liked your K, which is my favorite version of the "short-nosed" Warhawk. Consistent quality throughout, and I really liked the restrained but realistic weathering and scuffing. You, sir, are a model-builder!

Mike

• Like 2