Airfix Cherokee Arrow

Paul J

In my clear up aftre the sahmbles from weather damage, I found this lurking. Decided that I might as well continue with it. I had started thts about 20years ago or thereabouts!!!

Picture253-2_zps03ff70e6.jpg

I have the decals for it still too so might finishe it as per kit.

• Like 1

Hi.There won't be a lot to see, But I'll try and photograph the next steps as I go but it will still be a slow progress. I've yet to decide the final colour scheme and have trawled Airliners dot net for some inspiration.

I have one in a similar state and gave up due to a cracked windscreen ( I tried reshaping it by bending it a bit) if I could sort that might start mine again, will watch with interest and see how it goes could be the inspiration I need to dig mine out.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Not a lot of work done. Just added the undercarriage and tailplane really. Oh and the antenna. As can be seen the prop blades need to be fitted back on and new doors for ths undercart. After this into the paint shop. The usual halfords appliance white and then... who knows..?!

IMG_1704_zps0e50bc97.jpg

PS: the nose wheel and leg came from my spares box and identified as being from the Airfix Cessna O-2 kit. Its all I could find that was anywhere close to what I needed to replace the lost one.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

Good to see. I have a soft spot for the Arrow. Did my first retractable gear/CSU endorsements on one (VH-ARP, Bankstown, 1976) and with three mates did a great trip in another (VH-CRC) to Adelaide in 1977 to watch a Test against the West Indies, back in the days when ordinary mortals could afford to go flying.

Very cool! My mate had one of these kits when we were younger...he never had the same skills my humble self had ;-)

Is it possible to convert this to a fixed gear Cherokee? Would the work be very involved?

Edited by k5054nz

Paul J

Glad to see one of Airfix's little 'Gems' being built - I also look forward to seeing the finsihed article

k5054nz...dont think so, the fixed gear Cherokee was the PA140/160 - this is the 180....I think it was bigger with an extra window in the side (remembering G-AYJP and JR at Brize Norton flying club back in 1981....so a while ago and might be wrong?!!?)

One of my own favourites from the 1970s!!

Later, when I was doing my PPL in 1981, I parked next to G-BAAP at Shoreham after a navigation exercise from Headcorn. The instructor was puzzled when I was going on and on about the aircraft parked next to us, he thought I was star-struck, as if we'd just met an A-list celebrity! Well, I thought I just had!

Hi Mark,

Thats an interesting tale. If yourself or anyone else here ever visits Shoreham, take a look in the visitor centre. Somewhere in their displays is a cabinet with some models on show. I donated these some years ago and among them is my first Airfix PA28 finished as G-BAAP. There should also be a Beech V35, Turbulent (G-ASDB, resin kit by Dujin I think) and another all together. But not having been there myself for a number of years since, I don't know if they are still there.

Great to see this kit being built ....its the kit that got me back into modelling after I had a flight in one.

A shame that the civvy light aircraft scene is not as easily obtainable as the bigger passenger stuff.

Andy

I cut open the door and did my own paint and decal job on a Monogram 1/48 Piper Cherokee and was very please with how it turned out.

It really stands out amongst all the military stuff.

IMG_0235Large.jpg

IMG_0231Large.jpg

Try experimenting with colour schemes, it can make quite a difference.

• Like 3

Murdo

Nice one mate....................good to see, we dont need bombs and guns all the time !!

I think the fixed or retractable u/c were model options, rather than strictly earlier or later. I plan to start soon on a 1981-built model with fixed wheels. I have also converted an Airfix Arrow to a Cherokee 140 with the assistance of a razor saw to shorten the fuselage. I think the front cowling came from an old Airfix Bird Dog. It looked about right to me.