F-15s in Iceland

BlackBart

Evening all,

I have recently acquired a Hasegawa F-15c in 1/48 scale which looks like it will be a nice build. I also treated myself to some decals for the 57th FIS based at Keflavik in Iceland. Now the thing is, all the pictures I can find and the decal instructions all show the aircraft with conformal fuel tanks (the big bulges along the fuselage sides more commonly seen on F-15e's). Does anyone know if any of these aircraft flew without the CFT's? Or can anyone tell me where I can get hold of a set? I have checked the net and can't find anything.

Cheers for now,

BlackBart

Keflavik was the only F-15 fighter unit to use them regularly, and they did use them regularly. Their area of coverage was 99.9999% over (very, very cold) water, so they needed all the gas they could haul along with them. Elmendorf's F-15 drivers were green with envy when I was there in the mid-1980s, since they had old As and Bs that didn't have CFT capability.

I don't think the C/D type CFTs have ever been done. They're similar, but not identical to the F-15E CFTs.

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

Hi there,

You know, I would have sworn that I had seen photos of 57th FIS Eagles regularly flying without the conformal fuel tanks but I've just scanned some of my references and they all show the jets with the CFTs !.....I'll keep checking for you but you may need to invest in some.....I'm not sure they are the same type found on the F-15E.....If they are, you may be in luck as several kit manufacturers include them in their F-15E/K variants and I think Wolfpack do them too.

HTH

Mark

• Like 1

On the walls of 57`th FIS at NAS Keflavik I saw pictures of the F-15C without the CFT`s.

At the moment I cannot find the pictures I have from my time at NAS Kef, but I am looking. When I was there the F-15`s on station was rotating between squadrons as it was inactivated in 1995.

Personally I recived a Squadron print and a pencil drawing made by a mechanic of the F-15. Not up on the wall yet, but have to get a frame.... Or two...

• Like 1

I am sure i remember seeing a 57 FIS F15 at an International Air Tatoo in the late 80's early 90's it when the static park was full of fighters. i will go through my slide collection and look as i may have a slide of it,

• Like 1

Cheers for the info and advice guys, looks like I'm going to have try and scrounge some CFT's from somewhere, hmm, easier said than done me'thinks.

Oh well, back to my Keflavik Phantom for the time being.

They did fly without them, just not that often. I've just had a flick through Don Logan's USAF F-15 colour and markings book and theres a couple of pics in there showing aircraft at William Tell 88, both minus CFT's.

• Like 1

If you can get hold of an Hasegawa 1/48th F-15E kit, you can build it as a D.

This kit is more of a C/D than a production E, lots of small details are incorrect for the Strike Eagle

Shaun

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the cft's on the Academy Kit would be easy enough to stick onto the Hasegawa kit? Much easier and cheaper for me to get hold of.

Some great pics on there Scimitar. Cheers for that.

All the best from a lovely sunny Glen Creran morning,

BlackBart

If you can get hold of an 1/48th F-15E kit, you can build it as a D.

This kit is more of a C/D than a production E, lots of small details are incorrect for the Strike Eagle

Shaun

That depends on whose 1/48 F-15E you're talking about. The Revell is most certainly an F-15E, the Hasegawa is really the TF-15A-derived F-15E demonstrator and thus a B/D, the Academy is somewhere in between depending on boxing and thus is either a D or a D/E hybrid.

They did fly without them, just not that often. I've just had a flick through Don Logan's USAF F-15 colour and markings book and theres a couple of pics in there showing aircraft at William Tell 88, both minus CFT's.

Something like William Tell or Red Flag is probably the only place you'd have seen 57th birds without CFTs. No need to drag them around if you didn't need the gas.